Multiplayer Help.... Please....

I am finding it impossible to link up , either to host or to join a game. I have gone through all the hoops for port forwarding on my BT Voyager 2091 and access rules on comodo firewall still no joy. My firewall seems to be showing an inbound policy violation (access denied) upnp-mcast(1900). I know I am showing my ignorance but can anyone help me...... please I am pulling whats left of my hair out. :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by dmg:

Have you read Multiplayer Configuration Readme for Threatre of War?

Yes I have read it and I have also tried looking at other sites to open the ports on my computer and configuring my firewall.

I have tried hosting and joining games and still no success.

As far as I can tell i have followed the MP advice accurately. Mysely and those that I try to connect with are all at a loss

1. Show your mp.ini file (that is in users\mp.ini)

2. If all of your computer ip addresses start with 192.168.x.x, 10.0.x.x or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x you cannot host Internet game but can connect to already created game of your opponent (though you may host games within the same LAN). To get to know your ip address type ipconfig command in the command line and look at the results.

3. Check the same for your opponent. Does he use firewall? Had he already started the game mission when you connected to it?

4. Check your firewall settings

Describe step by step how you tryied to create a network game, to connect to it and what the errors were thrown.

My Mp Ini is

[Host]

IPAddress=192.168.1.10

[server]

PublicPort=22345

PrivatePort=-1

PrivatePortMin=22400

PrivatePortMax=22500

Speed=25000

SmoothMovement=0

[Client]

Port=23344

Speed=25000

[socks5]

Host=

Port=22346

User=

Password=

My IP is entirely different from the person trying to join. He has a Norton Firewall we configured it as advised. He dpes not have a router.

I have comodo firewall but I even tried to link with this off... no success.

I have checked his mp ini it is the same as mine. we have tried it with the localhost setting. I created a static ip

I start up MP we use teamspeak to communicate I setup he mp session and my mate types in my IP ( Not the router ip)followed by the port as pre set 22345.

he gets connecting when he clicks join but then times out. I have checked and re checked the port forwarding.

I have now changed to Norton 2007 and I guess I will have to add some rules for the relevant protocols and ports.

I havn't got a clue what else to do.

>IPAddress=192.168.1.10

You cannot host an Internet game with this ip. The ip address starts with 192.168.x.x and it means it is not external. Though you may host LAN game or connect to an existing Internet host.

Check the following:

1. Open towsetup.exe, select Multiplayer tab and expand Use IP address ComboBox. Do you see any ip addresses not starting with 192.168.x.x, 10.0.x.x or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x? If not, you are behind NAT server and this means you cannot host an Internet game. (In actual fact, you can, but it'll take more work to set up, and an access to NAT server is needed, see pt. 4).

2. Check the same for your friend. If all his ip addresses start with 192.168.x.x, 10.0.x.x or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x. he cannot host an Internet game either. (In actual fact, he can, but it'll take more work to set up, and an access to NAT server is needed, see pt. 4.).

3. Check external ips of you and your friend. Go to the link http://whatsmyipaddress.com/ from your computer and a computer of your friend. Do you have the same external ip addresses? If not, you may play only internet games (not LAN).

4. If your ip address is internal and you have an access to your NAT server with external ip (or a NAT server administrator is your best friend), you need set up your NAT so that all incoming udp traffic with destination ports 22345, 22400..22500 was sent to your computer (with ip address 192.168.1.10). In this case you may host an Internet game and all your game opponents must input the NAT server external ip (instead of 192.168.1.10) when connecting.

[ May 01, 2007, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: dmg ]

I have checked and I have already tried these steps. My external IP 86.137.126.253 I still cannot link after setting up norton to allow all the ports. I do not believe that there is anything that I am doing wrong. I have tried connectintg to internal and external IP.

I am really disappointed with this whole system .I have played games for many years and I have never had to go through this process. Please explain to me why there is no server set up for such games as there are for other games. I buy games largely for the multi player experience. This is not a multi player game. I have never before felt the need to post such a message. Please explain to me why I should ever trust your company again.

One furious customer! (so furious I forgot to check my spelling before posting)

I don't know if you have tried this, but you have to connect to your router's setup page via your web browser and create a virtual server to forward the connection from the web to your internal IP.

THIS LINK should be of some help, although it is not the exact model of your router.

I would also turn off my software firewall while playing if you are having serious problems, but that is up to you. Remember your router has a hardware firewall too.

Paul Griffiths, did you try to set up the NAT server? (I mean Network Address Translation server, NOT a Norton Internet Security) If you don't have an access to the Network Address Translation server (that translates external ip into your internal ip), you cannot host an Internet game (try to connect to others, or to play inside the same LAN).

• 8 years later...