You think that is bad try this.

Starbucc

In Avalanche (third allied camp. mission set on medium with the Uber patch installed). Last stage I guess, had to clean out the remaining German resistance...didn't win it due to Uber Pak 38's LOS.

The two paks were held up on the edge of a village with 6-10 support troops. I had 3 Shermans (undamaged) left , about 20 soldiers with a captured pak and a diabled M-10 (which I stripped of crew for a Banzai charge after I got niffed). As I moved toward the village the German guns open up on my tanks. I can't get a LOS on them with the tanks even though the foot sloggers right beside them can see them just fine (yes, my tanks did have the LOS field facing the German guns). The Pak I had captured and hauled half way across the map could not see them either. Then just as the tanks got a bead on one of the guns...bam dead tank...same on second and third tanks. My troops beside my pak can see the german paks. My pak can see the German support troops right beside the German paks but not the paks themselves, ...till bam the pak I have dies. Then the Uber paks start killing my troops as I try to close the range and unlike my tank guns and the pak I had it didn't take 5-8 shots of HE to kill my troopers ...bam...dead...bam...dead...bam...dead etc. etc. etc.

I have seen too much of this Super AI to enjoy this game, which is too bad because I really wanted to like it. You spend several hours nursing your resources and doing good till the game decides that you aren't going to win this one and kills you with what appears to be cheating. I am not a whiner just stating my game play encounters. I have been playing RTS since the first Combat Mission on the CoCo. An old monochrome semi-realistic (for the day..early 80's)..I ramble it;s late ...hope others have a better time with this one.

Time to remove TOW from HD till next patch and back to SoaSE.

Hi

In your situation I never relly very much on the LOS, many times when in your situation, I go for the "area fire" button (with the tanks or other guns), sometimes it says that it can´t do that command but if you try various places around the guns (or other target, mostly with infantry men), you can get some shots, and you don´t really need to take out the gun, the explosions near the gun also kill men. I´m not saying that you can kill them before you beeing shot, but I can say that for mostly times it worked. Another thing that I do sometimes is, when advancing with infantry, I send the comander first to scout with the "hold fire" button activated, since he normaly is the one with better scout level, to see where are the AT guns (for me, are the toughest ones and the most daring, the tanks are quite simple beeing seen).

Anyway, I will try the Allied campaign, and try to give you some feedback.

2 Comments.

I think Area fire is a fact of life with this game. I had an US infantryman with a captured MG 42 take on a PAK 50mm head on. I put the arrow slightly above and straight beyond.... as in behind the gun shield. 3 Belts of ammo later all the pak crew was dead.

And 2. Yep paks should not be rifling indivdual soldiers. Especially with AP rounds. Its like they are aiming a 50mm AP round at a moving soldier's head and nailing him. The AI could be scripted to have the gun crew exit the weapon and breakout the personal weapons to fight off any soldier that enters a 50 meter radius lets say.

Actually, for individual scenarios that involve stationary paks, any modder could script that behaviour quite easily.

[ February 13, 2008, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]

Hi Starbucc

I´ve played that mission (veteran), and I can tell you that for me it was, more dificult to take care the guns from the left side map, than the last ones in the right side (I think that you are talking about these ones, the last enemy troops). For me it was quite easy to take them out, I just hold the use of 2 artillery barrages and one air support till it only left that location to wipe out, then, I have put all my forces near the location but behind the enemy LOS, and with an open front ( I still had 1 M10, 1 Firefly 2 M5 and a couple of infantry, didn´t needed the guns), I´ve started with the 2 artillery barrages and the air support in conjuction with the last one, and before the artillery barrage stoped made my troops move to take the enemys. It was only necessary to take the Hetzer, and the M10 took it out in the first shot (the artillery and the air support took the 3 guns and the 2 M5 took the remaining troops).

Thanks guys for the info but....

While saving your support units or other "tricks" works to complete the mission, it just masks what is (at least it appears to me) a game issue/bug.

As I mentioned, I just hate spending several hours keeping casualties to a min. (as any good general would do)just to get them killed by Uber AI and then have to do it all again just to save a support unit or two to finish it goes against my tactical sensibility's. If I want a puzzle war game I will play Company of Heros or World in Conflict.

Sorry, some disappointment showing in my reply. Don't get me wrong, like I said when the next patch comes out TOW will go back on the HD for another look.