Don't get me wrong:

Sfox28

Originally posted by Tankbuster:

[QB] Hi Sfox28

Not having a go at you at all in that post so don't take any offence. It was a general dig at the state of the AI and the way in which all levels of ToW gamer are affected by the AI basically being borked. I have actually found that playing on Easy gives you the most realistic game, anything above that and the Borg AI will annihilate any chances of veteran troops getting any further than 3 missions in a row. It will only be worth playing on higher levels when the AI are evenly matched and youtry to don't have to nurse them around the battlefield constantly.

Hi tankbuster

I´m playing the panzer lehr campaign on veteran mode, and i´m now playing the 7th mission. Some of them were really hard to win ( I won one with only one tank left and immobilized, and with only 2 crewmen) but some weren´t so hard and in two of them I have won with really small casualties.

All of them I had to play for several times, but some I have won in the second time, and I think that is all about losing some time observing in advance all the terrain and make the right movements, even pausing the game to give orders when atacking from different sides to make them to atack in coordination.One thing that I have noticed is that the AI from the enemy is a little dummy, because almost in all the missions they make attacks or counter attacks, and when they get pounded really hard, they (almost) never stop the attack and try another aproach. So basically, till now my conclusion is that the best way to win is, stop the attacks or counter attacks the best way ( and it can be really dificult), and then attack, but with micromanagement.

( And please BFC, make the TD abble to track targets when they are with the Hold position pressed, so we don´t have to allways keep an eye on them).

Sorry about my english :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sfox28:

One more thing FOR THE THIRD TIME!...LOL! I would like an answer to my almost original question: ..."[maybe anyone can help with. I already installed (straight) into the game the JSH mod. I would like to know, first...do the single player games and some campaigns pre-uber patch still work??? Now, the second part...Should I install the TOW Mod installer? Will I have some problems because JSH is already in game?]" PLEASE, someone give me an answer.....LOL! Mahalo.....

1) "Still work" is relative. Will they crash to desktop? I doubt it. Will the experience be as the planner intended? That's a different question. 1C Battlefront updated all of their missions, so those should be ok. As for the user-made ones...? I don't know how and why 1C Battlefront updated their missions. Something to do with the new line of sight rules. So the unupdated user-made missions may very well not be quite the same. Try and see.

2) Which JSH version? Are you going to install any more mods?

Really, you should have installed the mod installer, then used IT to install JSH. You're going to have a hard time getting it off when version 1.2 comes out. You may want to consider a reinstall, then install the mod enabler, then use it to install mods. Sorry.

The problem with TOW is that it start as a RTS game not a wargame, the the developer change his mind and move to wargame but it keep some featured and mission of RTS game In other works the mission the developer do are with a strong RTS influence

I did not play the game until the Uber patch and now i am playing the behind enemy line single mission, you have to think your tactics alot to win in this mission, by the way i am playing in medium difficulty, I really love the mission because is well done, but i think that it is not a mission a veteran wargamer would like to play. It remain me the tv series 24 where jack goes from one problem to another. well the mission is intended to veteran player. Also to worse the matters there is some trigger that let the enemy units pimp poin your unit location on the map, if you don't do one think that stop the trigger the units will find and kill all your units. that comes form the world of RTS games.

The difference here is that you don.t have to use overwhelming force to win as C&C . here you have to use proper tactics (personally something i like) add all the realistic physics, ballistics and the human skills of the trooper(super). but the concepts of a war game as CM are loss. For example have you notices that the tank crew don't open the hatch and peek out all the time are inside the tank Like a unit in a RTS game and you won see them until the tank get kill!. unbuttoned crew is something i would like to see in the game to have the possibility to kill a tank commander with a sniper i think i will add depth. other is that a tank could kill a trooper standing in a trench just passing over him. and the just total victory to win. There is no tactical victory or minor defect things that a player of a computer war game are use to, the lack of smoke the lack of mortars

the grass it just eye candy there is some minor detail that need to be added to this game and i think the developer is open to it. also some mission have and overwhelming force and you have to scrap supplies to perform you duty. example try to stop and overwhelming Russian tanks force with antitank hand granades and just two AT guns in the firts mission of the Moscow Campaign.

Something i have notice on the mission I am playing is that the skill and abilities of a trooper is really well modeled and have an impact on the game i think some players fail to notice that. I discover it by accident on the mission i am playing (Behind enemy lines) Here you have one sniper and squad of Russian commandos the first step of the interminable problems of this mission is to kill a soldiers on one of the two outpost. but in both outposts are HT in time the ht move and find your units (Remember the fine players unit trigger) on the field and start firing. I positioned my sniper on the right of the HT but his bullets hit the frame of the HT and not the gunners head. but on my squad my smg gunners open fire in response and kill the gunner the sniper was kill by the second ht in the other outpost to his right again this gunner was kill by the SMG guys, also i loss some of the commandos in hands of the ht fire.

check on my troops who has the better scout skill in this case was a SMG and the leader i move the leader and pick the sniper rifle, i have to say that this guy is a terminator :eek: compare to the smg that have another sniper rifle and my dead sniper. Also using grenades he is a master he kill a crew of pack 40 and the grenade detonates on the heads of the crew. between the two new sniper are not much differences in the game interface but i think stamina or something is simulated under the hood and make this game alot better than CM. also make a point you have to take into consideration the combat stress is modeled in this game and the result in every soldiers is different it seems to be like this. but this is something the developer has to tell.

Any way this is something you have to take into consideration playing TOW and is something were it is really far superior to CM including CMSF (game i have and play) i hope this game improve i love it. Also another point are that the mission are so difficult that you have to spend alot of time trying to accomplised it, some gamers don't have that time and you have to use the save midmission feautured something a war game don't have this again comes from the RTS world and is something a veteran wargamer don't like also makes frustrating to start the same mission over and over.

about playing easy i have try with some missions specially the whirl win mission but it is still difficult. I played that mission before the patch, i have not played it yet under the uber but i don't see there will be any differences when those counterattacking panthers come down that hill i think those gunners are still to uber...

could be that TOW is a new type of game where RTS and wargame meet :confused: and we have fail to notice it.

I am fly simulator fan of course i played alot online IL2 sturmovik i have the last incarnation 1946 also i have CC3 CC4 CC5 nice game but to use the terrain there is a different history is difficult from a top down view. Any way i don like to compare TOW with CC case the physics and the penetration models in tow is far superior to CC ( in CC if a sell penetrated a tank it is destroyed in tow not there is more physics calculation involved.

Things i would like to see in TOW:

I think that the enemy gunners need to be " still" tuned down randomize more his accuracy

that the crew of the tank peek out of the tank when they are not on combat (i think is a normal behavior of a tanker because it is hot inside it )

that the soldiers won be so easily kill by a tank running over him, something i think is a mayor fault in a game so realistic in terms of physics like this one.

that the grass give cover and of course smoke and mortars.

better MP maps and missions and more units possible also the ability to purchase the units not just choose them from a pool.

[ February 09, 2008, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: redbear ]

Redbear, I have JSH version 1.1m. I will most likely have to un-install everything then add both patches then the mod installer?? Sounds like that's what I should do eh? I don't seem to have any problems with the 1.1m as is playing anything, but there are a few other mods that seem interesting and would like to try. In other games I've always had a mod installer...but this one came a little later. Another thing, I started to install JSH at one time and cancelled it but then when I tried to play TOW it crashed and was looking for something that was in the JSH mod so I just installed it directly into the game.

So, it looks like I'll have to do things the long way to keep things clean and ready for any other future mods. Sound right?