Battlefront: please info on the new patch

Txema

Are you going to release it for Christmas?

Please, let us use the patch during the Christmas vacations. Theatre of War and your loyal customers deserve it.

The patch was released for the russian version 2 weeks ago (December, 5)...

Txema

[ December 19, 2007, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Txema ]

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there something weird in the way ToW developers and BF interact.

The patch was promised for the end of October and we all saw how it went.

Now they have sent the patch to BF for QC. No word so far from BF.

All these things have little to do with the "patch quality/time it takes" ratio. It is more related with how developers/distributors interact and are able to feed customers with right infos.

Actually, we cannot do anything to make this thing better, only ask for good products and patches. Patches has to be released ASAP.

Otherwise you cannot blame customers for coming here and whine. IMO, whiners have to be blamed as much as fanboys.

Aries,

How do you know it has little to do with patch quality? You don't. There is no way for you to know without being in the team, and there is nothing wrong with that. Patches do NOT have to be released asap, but when they are ready. Introducing more or different errors cuts down on the enjoyment for others.

We do not talk about the testing process. We just got a new build to test. We will see how testing goes.

Rune

It is obvious that one usually gets "blinded" to his or her own work after spending so many hours with it.

Give testers their time. It is better to a have a working patch released a bit late rather than one that does not work or creates some new issues.

Actually take your time on the patch.

Just tried Allied Campaign: St.Lo mission and now I'm fed up entirely. Not my vision of having fun. My honest conclusion is that the mission designers are sadists who like to see pixel men die.

I will give TOW a last chance after the patch but after 6 weeks playing if I'm honest to myself I don't like this infantry = AI fodder game anymore.

My mate is back to CMAK already and I am reinstalling CC5 and try some mods and wait for HistWar.

After so many negative comments and some bad experiences with the demo I have not played the game. It is gathering dust among the old games.

We are still playing games of CMAK and CMBB and having good time, even that the graphics are already really outdated.

Lets see what the patch brings. Maybe I'll get started with it.

My honest opinion is that the infantry model does not stand up on it's own. I think there are things that could be done to correct that, however, and hopefully they will be.

Enterable buildings is a very good start, but I think we also need some better tactical control capabilities. I hope the new LOS/Cover implementation will help with the feeling of a game that is taking place on a pool table. Infantry seem very naked and exposed as is.

Originally posted by rune:

Aries,

How do you know it has little to do with patch quality? You don't. There is no way for you to know without being in the team, and there is nothing wrong with that. Patches do NOT have to be released asap, but when they are ready. Introducing more or different errors cuts down on the enjoyment for others.

We do not talk about the testing process. We just got a new build to test. We will see how testing goes.

Rune

Well, at least now we know something about whats happening.

Rune,

Then you guys should be more carefull in the future with words/promises like 'soon' and dates like near October/November etc..

Fans are really anticipating this patch.

Keep up the good work and succes.

Rune,

First of all, thank you very much for the information and for all the work you are devoting to TOW.

Patches do NOT have to be released asap, but when they are ready. Introducing more or different errors cuts down on the enjoyment for others.
Rune, the policy that you are following with the patches for TOW does not seem consitent with the one you follow with other of your main products like CMSF (or CMBO). In 5 months you have released 5 patches for CMSF, and you are planning to release one more in the next month. On the other hand, in 8 months you have released just 1 patch for TOW. It is very difficult to understand for your customers (me included smile.gif ) why you are delaying the release of the patches for TOW so much when you are continuouly releasing patches for CMSF... If you were following the same policy with CMSF you would have released just one patch for CMSF until now... Why what is good for CMSF is bad for TOW?

Txema

Aries,

Patches do NOT have to be released asap, but when they are ready. Introducing more or different errors cuts down on the enjoyment for others.

Rune

Look, if something is going to introduce more or different bugs/errors then is not a patch. Is it? I hope this was a joke.

Everything thats gonna make the simulation better *has* to be released ASAP. I'm sorry if this will make your work harder. Cutting my enjoyment down? TOW is on the shelf since the last patch, 5 months ago, that is. How could you cut my enjoyment more? :rolleyes:

Hi Rune

Ive always agreed with Battlefront until your post that we will get the patch when its ready.Steve and Charles put out 105 for CMSF in 6 weeks knowing there are problems, and he said that he would follow up quickly with patch 106. That's fine with me. So give us the working patch for TOW b4 XMAS and follow up with another in the future. Remember no patch is without problems. Also TOW fans have been waiting for months

Happy Holidays

No. Guys, you cannot compare a game that we code, and Charles can fix immediately, with a game that is designed in Russia. We get the patch, we test it and send the problems to 1C to fix, then they test and we test.

We will not discuss the beta process. The patch will be released when it is ready

Aries, READ what I said, I said we will NOT release a patch if it has more or different errors. There is no joke there, just common sense. It has to be released when it doesn't cause problems, not when a feature is introduced.

Gamer, No. We code CMSF, code is turned around faster. the guys at 1C are good, but changes internal to them have to be tested here. For example, 64 bit operating systems have to be taken into account. So no, it will be released when it is ready.

Rune

Not all the bugs introduced in v1.05 of CMSF were known by Steve and Charles, the low wall line of sight being one of them that accidently crept into the patch code by mistake shortly before it was released. It has quite a big impact on the gameplay in CMSF when your units (troops and vehicles) cant fire over a 4 or 5ft wall. The low wall los was'nt a problem in earlier versions of the game and guess it will be fixed fairly quickly, seems sometimes fixing one bug can cause another so the longer they test the TOW patch the better it will probably be. Hopefully BF will release the patch when its good and ready and not before.

Aries, READ what I said, I said we will NOT release a patch if it has more or different errors. There is no joke there, just common sense. It has to be released when it doesn't cause problems, not when a feature is introduced.

Rune

Rune, nothing personal here. However, dont make things more complicated than they are. Your patch wont be the last, wont fix everything and wont have all the missing features in TOW. One word is enough: delay. I for one, prefer more frequent smaller patches than one monster, not perfect, patch every year.

Hi Aries

I agree with you 100 percent. Rune please no more when its ready its insulting after awhile.

If we wait years for the patch there will be problem's. I think Steves way of telling us the real reasons is better. I'm a great fan of Battlefront games. I want them to be successful.

Remember Steve put out 105 with problems and said on to 106 and 107, that's fine. The game over the last 5 patches got better and better. By the way its all about customer retention

Guys,

You ask, I answer, now you say i am insulting. Would you prefer to be kept in the dark? The bugs in 1.05 are a battlefront game, made by us. Charles is coding the fix then we test.

1C changes their code. It will be released when we think it is ready not a moment sooner.

That is all there is to it.

Rune

I am a non-poster who pre-ordered this game and I read all of these posts. Rune you are being pretty cocky and real high and mighty. The replys here show that. The..."we don't talk about testing" "You don't have any idea..." remarks are pretty weak. What we want is communication. We are in the dark that is why there are 4 threads asking about the wonderful patch we have not seen. A thread that one time a week you can go to us and say...testing goes well, oops we found an error...sending back to the Ruskies...need more itme...is great we don't get that.

We get the naked lady tease with the Uberpatch video...then nothing. Just a 'soon to be released'. The next thing we know weeks go by a Russian version patch comes out and CBMSF gets another patch! Then you wonder why people are getting a little torqued at BF. This is not a new thing. We have all been waiting for you and 1C to get this thing right for a loooooong time.

We have earned and PAID for the right to know what is going on. You want to keep us 'in the dark'...hate to say dude but you are going to be out of a job because people will quit buying your games. We want the game to be fixed and to be what it was supposed to be when it was first released. What has been done so far is not bad and I am happy about 80% of it. We have been patient since it was relesed all broken and unfinished. No info is bad customer service the same as your threats and bad attitude. Please don't act like you are annoyed to give us info and we should bow to you because you have all the secrets. Hate to break it to you but we are the paying customers that deserve a respectful answer from your company. That is all there is to it!

Jason