What other game is most like TOW

zebedee

Just can't help it...no...sto-pppp, don't type that fingersssss!!!

S-Q-U-A-D A-S-S-A-U-L-T

No...really...it had so much potential. But TOW and others did profit from lessons learned (albeit indirectly) from that illustrious game's shortcomings. If you can find it for $10 or less, it's worth it to check it out.

Squad Assault, maybe?

[commercial link removed]

Edit: Whoops! posted at the same time as the poster above. Hey, it has some UI issues, but it was still fun after you invest some time into it.

[ May 09, 2007, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

That is probably a driver related problem.

It works fine with my Vista.

Better check the grafic card drivers.

ToW is kind of unique, dont remember nothing similar in gameplay.

I've installed the latest video driver, but that hasn't worked. dgm & others on the Tech board have been trying to help me, but so far nothing has worked & frankly I need a break from wading through pages & pages of tech problem/solutions threads.

Originally posted by zebedee:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

That is probably a driver related problem.

It works fine with my Vista.

Better check the grafic card drivers.

ToW is kind of unique, dont remember nothing similar in gameplay.

I've installed the latest video driver, but that hasn't worked. dgm & others on the Tech board have been trying to help me, but so far nothing has worked & frankly I need a break from wading through pages & pages of tech problem/solutions threads. </font>

You may actually like Soldiers: Heroes of WWII.

Smaller scale, but the game play feels similar to me. Maybe due to the crew positions, interchangeable weapons and so forth. A lot of the same detail (at times more) on a much smaller scale.

Originally posted by SGT_56M:

Avoid Faces of War though... It was an odd attmpt to make Soldiers more like an RTS... But from all I read and the demo, it was very sub par and buggy.

Ins´t buggy since the 1.4 patch.

Its like Tow on crack, a lot faster, with 10% of the engajement distances. Not aimed at realism do.

If you put TOW on one end and Company of Heroes on the other, you will Find Faces of war in the midle.

i also play on vista HP with a 6800 nvidia.

I would say its like squad assault, but squad assault had not nearly as much character or features, physics etc. The complexity, animation etc of TOW leaves squad assault in the dust not to mention most other games. THe physics calculations certainly are better than most games I have ever seen. THe damage model is much more complicated than Bang, your dead. And the interface!!! OMG the interface and RPG elements make you care for your soldiers and absorb what is happening as it is shown on your screen.

or close combat

Close Combat is a favorite of mine, but TOW with patches will ensure I don't pickup CC for a looong time. CC is better in some respects but had years to mature and the engine while pure genius in CC1 did not change much and the non-multiplayer challenge thus went away.

Would not say it is like CM at all...

BTW... I hated soldiers as it was unrealistic and completely railed.... like being lead around a mouse maze time and time again until you get the cheese and the next mission. Its heart was in the right place though and I wished it was TOW at the time!

I agree with Des, I wouldn't clump Soldiers in with this game. Sure it is amazing (individual unit control was pure bliss), but it simply isn't the same style of gameplay. If you love co-op play with your buddies though, you will have an absolute blast with it.

I would agree, close combat - 2D engine aside - is probably the closest I can think of. CC2 in particular was great. Subsequent versions improved things only slightly (and went backwards campaign-wise) - the maps got better, but things never progressed. Give CC a 3D engine, or ToW a 2D view and you'd really be looking at 2 very similar games indeed (though obviously not identical).

Have fun

Finn