TCP/IP crashes

This problem happened to me for the first time last week. It happened on the last turn of a 25 turn QB, 1250 points. My opponent and I were anxious to see the outcome because the last turn would have determined a winner. Alas it wasn't to be.

I did have an MG crew captured and it was after this that we had a problem...

When we were booted off, we tried resuming the game via TCP/IP to no avail.

Interesting problem.

Edit: Using a Dell 400c with 128 Megs of Ram w/ Voodoo3 2000 w/16megs of ram. Processor speed 400 Mhz.

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had a couple captured crews, and a couple near incidences of Ding-Crash last night. But for some reason my machine pulled thru.

One thing which I strongly suspect is behind this issue is the modified TCP/IP stack in winME/2000, which I do not use at home. Especially if playing an opponent who is using the older stack in win95/98.

WWB

I get this crash on Win98. In fact, I just got it AGAIN on another CMMC (very large) battle. No captures on this, just reinforcements. I believe we should have sufficiently narrowed this to these type of special circumstances. BTS, where are you on this one? Don't let us down now after all the great support!!! I imagine for every single post there are dozens of others who haven't said anything (e.g. those that don't use this board).

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: LeBlaque ]

Ahh, I see..I was playing in a TCP/Ip game and yazowwee..Ping..screen freeze and CM just crashes. Reload..and I miss setting my turns orders. Next turn..works fine, as does the next. Then it goes again..I miss the video but my turns orders are carried out. Next turn goes fine..but the following turn and from then on..the game will get the the download part to only ding, freeze screen and crash...I had to finish via PBEM..hmm..hmm..hmm..

Hmmmmm.... I noticed that in every one of the posts where someone identifies the amount of ram in their system, it appears that each poster stated that they had 256mb ram.

Of course, most of the posts don't mention the amount of ram, but is anyone having the "Ding-Freeze" with something other than 256mb ram?

I haven't a clue why this would have anything to do with it.

I do want to note that John Caravella's ("MAXX") "fix" DOES seem to decrease the incidence of this glitch. If you go to the trouble of saving every turn, you can pick up where you left off. It's a pain in the butt to save every turn though.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NightGaunt:

256 x 3 = ummm lets see carry the 1, 768?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok. nevermind. Just upgraded to 512 myself recently and haven't played tcp/ip game yet. Suppose I still have this to look forward to.

I'm having the same "ding of death" problem as was first described in this thread. It looks to me like it happened when my opponent took my wasp crew prisoner. :mad: What really sucks is that this game if for the T-house tournament. It is turn 5 of 35. There is almost no way that I'll be able to finish the game buy the tourney deadline using PBEM which is our only option at this point. BTS DO SOMEFINK!!! This time I really mean that. What is the progress on getting a fix for this problem? :confused:

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Subvet ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

When BTS says its Microsoft then I will be satisfied. Microsoft will probably say its BTS. I just know I paid BTS and the software is not working like it should.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you probably paid microsoft alot more for their software ($199 for win98). And it never worked like it should.

WWB