TCP/IP crashes

Just going to add here that i've experienced it in small point (500) and large point (well, 2,000 is as large as i've played tcp/ip) games. I've had it happen in scenarios and in operations as well. On rare occasions it will work out, maybe 1 out of 5-7 times (?). Rebooting has not in my experience resolved the issue. Some one mentioned loaded HT's as well as prisoners being a potential cause. I have had it happen when a prisoner had been taken, but numerous times prisoners have been taken and the freeze has not occurred. I know it has happened when no HT's were in the game, though I have no specific memory of it occuring with HT's in a game (although there could have been HT's in some of the freeze instances,I just don't recall). Oh, I also am running Windows ME, P3 1 Ghz, 256 ram, 64 mb nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra. Nothing further to add here.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm now unconvinced again! We both took prisoners in our latest two games and nothing happened, it played right through to the end like a dream. That's three games in a row for us where there has been no crash now which is a) great and B) terribly confusing.

Good luck Matt and BTS in your investigation!

Yours,

Perplexed Rex

Rex,

I just realised I've forgotten to post my follow up to our discussion on this on the main board-

Anyway I'v done about 5 more scenarios without any trouble... weirder and weirder... but I still havn't heard if anybody has successfully restored a "manually" saved game after experiencing this particular kind of crash...

-Derfel

You cannot restore it to a TCP/IP game. You can, however, switch to PBEM and finish it that way. Just load up the autosave as a PBEM and start from there.

I have not been able to convert back to TCP/IP even after playing a few turns. Had to finish PBEM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Derfel:

Rex,

I still havn't heard if anybody has successfully restored a "manually" saved game after experiencing this particular kind of crash...

-Derfel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm about to find out tonight with a manually saved game. This one did have a prisoner taken on one side immediately before the freeze. I'll report back.

TCP/IP "Ding of Death games!

My friend and I have experienced "Ding of Death" problem this off and on for quite a while. We have found that you can continue the game by one of these methods: 1.)startthe game off of the clients autosave 2.)play HotSeat 1 turn then go back to TCP\IP...downside of this is you see your troops are seen by your oppenent 3.)try 1 round of PBEM using the autosave then go back to TCP\IP One of these methods should work but not always.

-EricTheO

I might be way off here seeing I am no tech or anything but I have never crashed. I get slight glitches when (as most seem to do here) orders are passed from one computer to the other. On my system I have noticed at that time access to the cd-rom happens. Not saying this is anything, but is it possible a slower/dirty/cheaper cd drive or possibly the protection process on the cd is glitching the bigger games? Especially when access happens while your also still giving orders and clicking that mouse around?

Are most these freeze games off some backup cd? (just thoughts)

now if I can get Time Warner to stay online I would never have any TCP/IP problems lol.

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: Mike_D ]

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: Mike_D ]

OK, I've tried to restore a manually saved game after suffering the tcp/ip crash... and I'm in a position to state that it works! Well, at least it did this time.

We were 15 turns into "Move it or Lose it" (medium scenario, 30 turns) when the crash occurred. We rebooted both 'puters and loaded the last save (done at the start of turn 14) and it worked flawlessly after that.

There's been a good few guesses at what the trouble might be, so I'll just put in my 5 cents worth:

I think the transfer of data between computers is the problem. I seem to notice that data transfers in the turns just previous to the turn where the crash occur seem to go slower and slower.

In fact I've had my opponent's computer start running the "movie" a good 10 seconds before me.

So, from now on I'll save every turn before either opponent has commenced to give orders... at least until we can get a patch or somefink...

-Derfel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but had small groups of reinforcements. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have had the same problem as well. Most recently with a CMMC game that was 60 turns-- had to finish 40 PBEM! Perhap reinforcements AND captures are the cultprit. And I must confess, I believe as well that this BUG must truly be addressed.

Just as a side, this has occurred only four times total to me. Always as the red bar finishes it's load it goes windows "ding" smile.gif

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: LeBlaque ]

It happened again. I see that captured unts duplicate and cause the crash. Your unit will turn into 2 units when captured in some instances. In fact they will share the same body and one head sometimes! I have a screen shot of a head which has another head moving in a different dircection, thus noticing a problem graphically. I did see that my crew turned into 2 units after a flak vehicle got captured. I am sure this is the culprit and I am going to bump this thread until someone responds. Every large game I play that is TCP/IP turns into a frustrating mess due to this bug.

Actually I have seen the double-unit conundrum on the reinforcements, not the captures. Reinforcements arrive and there are TWO of the same unit-- EXACTLY the same. Same names, same ammo, same blah, blah, blah. I don't seem to have the bug as often as some others, but boy it is frustrating. Did I say it has only happened when I play British (which isn't often). Perhaps happenstance, but still....

This is probably unrelated but I was having ding trouble and duplication of units for a heck of a long time, I finally nailed it down to my surge protector. I don't think its related but why not? I haven't had a quibble since the switch.