TCP/IP crashes

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "ding" sound usually indicates a problem with the data itself that is being loaded into CM. It sounds as if something is corrupting or truncating your data in a TCP/IP game (I assume that's what you're playing).

Does this problem happen in a particular scenario or with a particular opponent ? Does this take a number of turns to occur or does it happen fairly quickly in a game ? Are these QBs (Quick Battles) of a particular size or common set of parameters ? What kind of internet connection do you have - dial up modem, Cable/DSL or... ?

This has happened to a number of people, Myself about 4 or 5 times. One thing that may be of importance is: Were any units captured at the point in the game when it crashed? I am not sure but that has been the case in some of the others I have heard about. I have seen this problem posted before, but no answer as to what is causing it.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001419

Hope this finally gets answered.

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: labappel ]

yeah i figuered it was corrupt im running a high speed out of my college dorm, it usually happens with quick battles 3000 points, ususally fairly quickly between 3rd and 5th turns my opponenet's connection is similar I was just wondering if anyone knew the cause that maybe I could fix it I should have been more specific thanks for taking the time to reply smile.gif

ColonelSquirrel - try a smaller QB (1000 pts or less) and see if this problem continues. Was anything changed about your system when you started having these problems or has playing a large QB via TCP/IP always been a problem ?

What school are you going to in the Oakland area, Berkeley or one of the state universities in the area (Hayward) ?

Still having mult problems with this. have not been able to figure out a cause. the last battle we played was small map, less than a thousand points but had small groups of reinforcements. tried on several different systems, same problem. every mission was created, no quick battles, we are going to test that next. size doesn't seem to matter, we played arheim and it also crashed.

this is still a major problem, hope someone figures it out.

I too have this problem on accasion. I have been able to get it to work. But sometimes, I'll try rebooting, reconnecting and trying again with no success. I have a DSL, but I play with all kinds of people, and I have not fiqured out if it is on my end or theirs. Is it just a screwed up transfer? I've been trying to keep a separate file saved thoughout my game, in case that autosave gets scragged.

My brother and I have the same problem with the gme freezing at the end of the data transfer operation at times. We both have new Dell PIII 866 with the bells and whistles, so it is probably not the hardware. It may be when some have been captured, I never checked that, bu size seems to make no difference. It normally happens near the end of most games so I think that the captured theory has a lot of validity. The last game we played I had some captured early in the game and we had the same problem. I think that is where the problem occurs.

Always hoped I'd never have to post on this particular forum (no offense guys!) but the last 5 TCP-IP games me and my buddy have played have all locked up when the data transfer commences around turns 20-30. :(

We both use the latest version (1.12) and never had this problem with earlier versions. I have tried to find a common denominator between all the occasions and none have been apparent. Prisoners were on the map but they usually are in the later stages of a game so I'm not sure about that theory.

As it has happened on every single occasion I have to say that TCP-IP is officialy broke for me which is a gaming tragedy. I'd love to hear from BTS if it can be fixed or what I can do to help troubleshoot this game killer.

Has anyone tried going back to earlier versions? I might do that if all else fails.

alright an update: currently i am standing on a stool in a noose, and im about to jump cause i can't play cm.

seriously: I can rule out local lan play vs internet play as a problem. I am now having occurences of the tcp/ip crash even when going to computers directly linked thru a hub.

next step: the dreaded re install of cm from scratch. i'll tell everyone how it goes.

p.s. this sucks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm convinced. After playing a TCP-IP game where we deliberately avoided taking any prisoners, for the first time in 6 outings it did not crash.

I don't think that anyone from BTS has noticed our little thread here, but I hope someone can fix this killer with a little prompting. I'll give it a couple more days then it's OT on other threads time. How's anyone else got along recently?

I've got some more data:

played a game where germ opponent took prisoners, no crash. When I think back to the crash games, I am almost positive it did not crash until BOTH sides had prisoners. Also played about 6 more games without prisoners, no crashes. I have 740mgs of ram btw.

Very interesting stuff NightGaunt, if the bug strikes when both sides have prisoners it sort of makes sense with the duplicated units I've seen appearing. I'm tcp'ing again tomorrow and we'll have a real in close bloodbath which hopefully will result in a brace of prisoners for both sides.

I have 128 megs of memory therefore I feel somewhat inadequate having read all of nightgaunts post redface.gif

Rex,

I had a similar problem immediately after adding another stick of 128MB RAM to my machine. Removing it and bringing my total RAM back to 128MB did the trick. Thought the RAM was faulty and returned it to the store for another stick. Same problem. Newest drivers, etc. of course. Other games, etc. worked fine with the 256MB load of RAM. CM didn't. hmmm.

We tried to play TCP/IP over a LAN, I had the disk and was upgraded to 1.12. We tried both a simple 500 pt quickbattle, and the official training battle over TCP/IP. As soon as the game started for both of us, his computer locked up. One time it did a blue screen with a VXD error.

I wonder if backreving to a previous patch would help... Does anyone know a patch that was stable in TCP/IP?

Very frustrating trying to nail down why this freeze (windows ding noise) bug happens. Its at roughly 33% of my tcp/ip games. Last game with Agua (when it froze) we reloaded and checked for prisoners - there were none. Then we hit go and same crash. Sometimes we can restart the autosave, and sometimes we cannot (the same exact crash happens at the exact spot of the replay). Help BTS! It is *almost* unplayable now.

One more note: in the 40 (at least) tcp/ip games ive played with Ver 1.12 i can say that this bug can occur on turn 2 or turn 22.. doesnt seem to matter.

Also doesn't seem to matter if ICQ is running or not.

Im running Windows Me with 256 RAM - Nvidia GTS 2 and Athlon 900 Mhz for the record.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Maxx ]

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Maxx ]