Polish 1st Mission: Anyone managed to repulse the German attack?

Fetchez la Vache

I haven't, despite more than half-a-dozen attempts. Just curious to what a winning strat might be...

I thought I was doing really well after placing all my guns in the bushes just behind the first set of trenches. Held fire until they spotted me and then took out 2 waves using concentrated AT fire and a modicum of luck. One trick by the way is to keep an eye on the status of the enemy tanks, no point plinking away at a PzI or PzII that's had it's turret knocked out!

Unfortunately the third wave of tanks with the extra PzIvs just plough right over me. :(

Another attempt saw me pulling a fair proportion back to the second line of trenches and going for the close-range-exposed-belly-shot as the Panzers come over the ridge. Took out a few but the 20mm cannons and the PzI MGs are pretty lethal at close range. No joy there.

So what to do? Try to slog it out front and get mauled by PzIVs? Or pull back and get ripped apart by cannon and MG fire? I'm nicely stumped. smile.gif

My next plan is to try to ambush the Panzers in the town. Maybe I can actually get a kill or two out of those cute toy tankettes!

Btw, being an impatient sort of bloke, I've not yet let the Germans take me out to the last man (normally some poor tanker running for his life...). So maybe I'm not meant to win and there's a last minute trick up the sleeve of the scenrio designer! :D

No probs with the d/l (apart from my slow conn) and no probs installing or running. Good stuff, enjoying this.

Yes. It took me my third attempt.

I got rid of the Bofors and took a third 75 MM.

When I finally won my total casualties were 8 infantry.

The key is careful placement of your AT assets. On the right side of the map there is that line of bushes that run over that hill. If you place one gun slightly behind the crest of the hill it will make that gun very difficult to hit.

My other two guns I placed behind the tree line on either side of the road. The spot if this is too vague is in front of your rear bunker on the left side of the map. If you go down to a person eye view of the terrain, you can find locations to place guns where they are just barely peeking over the crest of a hill.

For the infantry, I had them hold position and not return fire until everything was good and close.

The second mission however, ouch ;p

Three tries now and its rough.

I placed my AT guns on top of the hill at the very beginning with two commands, hold fire and hold position, make sure to place two soldiers behind each of the AT guns, in case someone gets killed, may be 10-15 meters behind, and make sure they lay down and hold position, otherwise you will see them crawling all over the place:) Then place the rest of the infantry in the trench behind the hill. My APR guy was in the bushes on the right side, just in case:)

I kept my MG cars 50 meters behind the AT guns, so when enemy tanks

First two attacks had good results, five enemy tanks down and one infantry, on my side two AT guys were killed.

I'm having quite a success by taking two 75's and two bofors and deploying them all in the town. Just behind the fences in those two little villas behind the hill. As soon as the PzII's crest the hill I tell them to open fire, and it usually only takes one shot at that range.

Unfortunately I seem to have encountered a bug now. I've taken out the first two waves, and now I see there are some PzIV's out there. Problem is the Germans seem to have stopped at the first trench line (which I never manned). Now they won't advance at all...

Ah, good call on the "hull down" gun positions. I'll give that a try. Should have thought of that!

Also nice idea about the infantry in reserve for the guns.

I didn't have problems with Panzers stopping at the first trench, but then again I've always left some men there. Maybe it's something in the mission scripting? Probably worth firing up the mission editor and having a gander at some of the decision trees for that (e.g. certain number of Pol casualties required before advancing)?

Not looking forward the next mission though now. Maybe I should have picked an easier side to try first? ;)

Managed it. \o/

Pulled everything back, field guns set up on the leff side of the map for side hits, ATs in amongst the buildings with support from the tankettes/AC/extra AT when they arrive.

I did have the problem with a PzIV and 2 PzII staying at the first trench line. Pushed up my field guns carefully, sent in a spotter and plinked them off.

Getting a feel for this game now. Needs some improvements though:

- rotating AFV

- trench/sandbag placements during battle setups

- a "binocular" effect for a quick zoom in (like in the TW series)

- better quick moving of the camera

I did a text book defence ,your village is behind a sloped hill (on top )

Leave a trooper some where to scout the advancing germans,

set up your guns just on the road outside the village along the tree line,hold fire set on all your troops.

Wait untilthe panzers come in to view open fire, bagged 6 tanks in quick time lost a gun crew ,replaced them with other men,

when your reniforcements come poistion them in the trees to the left of the village with the gun and xtra troops,

next send out a squad of your crapest ment 4 max down the road fire on the german inf and then legg it back,

wait for the germans to respone,

soon as there reach the flat top like the tanks bagg them.

you'll have three or two tanks to get after this,

well that's up to you!!!

Good gaming