Official System Requirements

Markus86

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just seen the "minimum system" and the "recommended system" specifications, and I have noticed that while the AMD processors appear in the "minimum system", they don't appear in the "recommended system".

Why are you recommending just Intel processors and not AMD processors??

Are the intel processors better than the AMD processors to run TOW?

Txema

For some reason the milgamer niche seems to be filled with folks that consider upgrading their PC once every 4 years "frequent". I think something about our hobby seems to attract a rather frugal and fiscally conservative personality type, because were PC gamers from other aspects of the hobby to read what was posted above, they would convulse with laughter.

I myself go through about a PC a year, maybe a year and a half to two years. I spend about 200 bucks on a good vid card, and that usually holds me for about a year. I'm not one of those guys who goes and drops 5k on a new system -- I spend about 1.1k tops, including the vid card, and this is for a system with DVD burner, separate CD drive, nice size HD, etc.

This is a niche hobby, and games like this (Battlefront games) only come out every few years. If these games are really important to you, make the investment to properly enjoy it. Budget for the year, and stick with that budget, including new equipment. Trying to get an older rig to run brand-new games, especially those that are your core hobby, is just an exercise in frustration.

Just my 2 cents, no offense meant.

EDIT -- I'd also like to point out that the PC gaming industry has contracted in recent years due to relative lack of demand. Essentially, we are luxury gamers, in that we spend much more than console gamers on our hobby per year, excluding title cost (just equipment). The fact is that military games really aren't suited for consoles, so if you are a military gamer, resign yourself that you are forced into this luxury hobby, and spend smart, but don't scrimp, you will just trade time and frustration in increased waiting time and crashed games. You get what you pay for (but never pay more than 1200 bucks for a complete system, it's just a waste of money to crank out that extra 5%).

Originally posted by dphillipsd:

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could provide some advice as to how I could determine what video/graphics card I have,

Thanks.

Hi, assuming you are using a Windows based PC, go to your Start menu. Start->Run, and a pop up box will appear. Type 'dxdiag' (but don't type the ' marks). Another pop up will appear, with tabs across the top of the box. Click on the one marked "display". That should tell you what you are looking for.

I'll defer to one of the more knowledgeable people around here for your answer, but it looks to me like your video isn't a vid card at all, but rather your motherboard is outputting to the monitor. If I'm correct, that basically that means you don't currently have the ability to run the graphics for this game.

I have to ask, do you play other games, and if so, what are they? How old, etc?

At present I am using a laptop, which happens to be what I use for uni, so prob not the best for games. However, I can run CMBB with the best settings, and even when playing large maps it runs smoothly. I realise, nevertheless, that laptops are not best for games, but welcome any opinions:

SatPro L10 Toshiba Laptop

Intel® Pen® M Processor

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel 1.7 Mhz

Windows XP

Physical Mem 512 MB

Virtual Mem 2.0GB

Hard drive 55GB

Direct X 9.0C

Oh, as a side note the laptop is about a 1.5 yrs old.

[ March 26, 2007, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: dphillipsd ]

dphillipsd,

your video card is not goed enough its an intergraded videocard, i understand you only have an laptop. I think you better upgrade to a desktop because if you want to buy an new laptop it will cost you more to get the same hardware results.

At least try to buy an 256mb videocard to get nice details.

they are arround 60 euros (agp)

And its not possible to put an better videocard in your laptop.

Thanks for the info - unfortunately, until I finish uni a new PC is out of the window smile.gif

As for purchasing a videocard, could anyone recommend a specific one? Additionally, I am presuming such a videocard would be connected to the laptop via the PC card slot on the laptop?- mine happens to be for a 5mm type ii card? Is this the same as an AGP 2.0 slot? If not, where would the AGP 2.0 slot be?

Please correct me if I am wrong, and sorry for sounding/being so naive! Your help is much appreciated.

you mean the slot on your laptop its normally for a networkcard or extra card for mmc slots or for connecting to other devices like scsi.

but you CANNOT put an videocard in that slot.

So the best is try the demo (post before me) and buy an new desktop (*cheaper)

i like nvdia videocards more then ATI but everyone has his own liking

My videocard is an 8800gtx with 768MB mem

Originally posted by dphillipsd:

Just out of interest, what does the PC card slot take in that case - as you probably guessed, I thought it might take a graphics/video card.

You are unfortunate that this baby from Asus needs an Express Card slot and you only have the PC Card slot on your laptop.

The PC Card slot is mainly used for modems and network cards (e.g. wlan).

Uwe

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

There is no way to upgrade video card on laptop. Try the demo, maybe game will run with low quality graphics.

This is not always true.

For example, most Dell models except the really cheap ones have graphics cards that you can replace. Just look for "Gefore Inspiron 9300" on ebay, you see dozens pop up. Requires good screwdriver skills but is doable.

Of course, these are special cards that have nothing to do with desktop cards.

%%

For CPUs, Intel versus AMD and MHz versus performance also see here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=000549

Hpt. Lisse is correct, the Intel 865G (an integrated video chip) probably isn't good enough to run ToW. Most likely your computer should be able to take an AGP videocard as an upgrade. Occasionally some motherboards are made for some large manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc.) that may not have an AGP slot, but we'll assume that isn't the case for you right now.

The next question is how much do you want to spend to upgrade your video for ToW ? If you're willing to spend about $120 this GeForce 7600GS 256Mb (Newegg listing) would probably work fine (plus a current $20 mail-in rebate brings it in at just under $100). There are ATI/AMD based cards that would work for ToW too, but in my opinion ATI occasionally has more issues with their drivers (though that may not necessarily be the case with ToW).

Thanks for the replies i am a computer freak but i dont know much about stuff when it comes to videocards. I know this computer is able to run some high quality games like DOOM 3. And if i need a video card thats just one more thing to go to my list why i need a new one.

Originally posted by Cincinatvs:

Pay attention

2.6Ghz is from Intel CPU. AMD ones required less CPU freq to set up the same calculation power. :cool:

LOL

Only best processor is Intel. AMD is pure crap from my experience with computers.

Last time I had AMD based PC I had to reinstall windows every 3-6 month. Now, after setting up Intel based PC nothing, no reinstall. And never again I will buy AMD based PC. NEVER AGAIN.

Originally posted by Txema:

I have just seen the "minimum system" and the "recommended system" specifications, and I have noticed that while the AMD processors appear in the "minimum system", they don't appear in the "recommended system".

Why are you recommending just Intel processors and not AMD processors??

Are the intel processors better than the AMD processors to run TOW?

Txema

Intel processors are GENERALLY better than AMD. Trust me.

AMD processors and PC based on AMD processors are gone to repair shops much often than Intel based PC's and I have friends who works at big company that sells PC's and he showed me a one room full of broken PC's and he said "Look at those PC's, 90% of them are AMD!".

I had problems with Athlon based PC (it was XP 1800+). Imagine nightmare of 3 (yes THREE!) motherboards went KABOOOM!, 2 video cards and many other things. So never again I will touch AMD based PC. I want stability and quality. AMD owners used to mock Intel owners "look, we are faster 5%!" or said "you can cook eggs on Intel"...

And funny what is 5 % in games? Nothing. Now Core DUO Intel beat AMD so they have been quiet lately about speed hehehehe.

And trust me Intel makes better quality processors. So when it comes to PC I would rather pay additional money and know that PC will work fine. And that is important. Very.

Hah, I know that AMD owners will not like this but that is my experience.

Originally posted by Bloodstar44:

Only best processor is Intel. AMD is pure crap from my experience with computers.

Last time I had AMD based PC I had to reinstall windows every 3-6 month. Now, after setting up Intel based PC nothing, no reinstall. And never again I will buy AMD based PC. NEVER AGAIN.

Hello Intel fanboy.

I think you are probably generalising a bit too much. My AMD PC is running now for 6 1/2 years daily without any CPU problems - There was not one reinstallation of windows necessary during that years. I am only scraping it because I need a new rig to run ToW on. And after my experiences so far I will buy an AMD CPU again.

I hope for both of us that our contrary decisons ar equally and 100% succesful.

Uwe