Death Ray

Chilibird

I actually began work on a MASSIVE ion beam. (I set it to like... 200 mm diameter. It's big.).

Has an interesting effect, and if you zoom the camera out, has a very noticable presence when fired, and it's quite easy to figure out where it came from, if you survive it. It will (once done testing) have a recharge time of ~45 seconds, given how much power is involved (And, of course, for balance reasons ;) ).

At the moment, it's mounted on a Thor IC chassis/turret (As I wanted this to be slow, not quick like most beam weapons, going to reduce armor, though), but I'd like to do something a little more suitable model-wise for it. I have a few ideas, but we'll save that for when it's working.

However, 2 catches I'm running into.

1. I set the ablation amounts to insanely high values ( > 200), but it still takes at least 2 shots to destroy a vehicle. (However, it will ALWAYS destroy a vehicle in 3-5 shots, and usually disable (pop a few tires give the size of the beam) wheeled ones with just one) Is that just a code thing? Or do I need to REALLY crank that value?

2. I set the beam duration to 10 (up from it's normal 2), which I figured would mean the beam lasts for 10 seconds instead of 2. (Partially for 'where the heck did that come from' reasons, partially to portray the power of the beam) However, it continues to last for a shorter time (and definately not 10 seconds). Is that also a code limitation, or is that another value that needs to be rediculously high before I see anything?

I personally thought that it was possibly tied to the length of the wav file used when it fires, but I'm trying to find something else to test that with. My other thought is that it actually is still 'firing' in the game's mind, but it stopped drawing the beam too early.

Any thoughts? Suggustions?

-Chili

Originally posted by Chilibird:

I actually began work on a MASSIVE ion beam. (I set it to like... 200 mm diameter. It's big.).

YAH, Bolo's need Hellbores!

However, 2 catches I'm running into.

1. I set the ablation amounts to insanely high values ( > 200), but it still takes at least 2 shots to destroy a vehicle. (However, it will ALWAYS destroy a vehicle in 3-5 shots, and usually disable (pop a few tires give the size of the beam) wheeled ones with just one) Is that just a code thing? Or do I need to REALLY crank that value?

I have the cranked the value up to 9999.0 with the same results. It seem to be code thing. Near as I can figure it destroys the armor on the first shot. Then any follow on shots pass through to the inner parts (fuel, crew, engine).

2. I set the beam duration to 10 (up from it's normal 2), which I figured would mean the beam lasts for 10 seconds instead of 2. (Partially for 'where the heck did that come from' reasons, partially to portray the power of the beam) However, it continues to last for a shorter time (and definately not 10 seconds). Is that also a code limitation, or is that another value that needs to be rediculously high before I see anything?

I personally thought that it was possibly tied to the length of the wav file used when it fires, but I'm trying to find something else to test that with. My other thought is that it actually is still 'firing' in the game's mind, but it stopped drawing the beam too early.

Any thoughts? Suggustions?

-Chili

Make these two match and problem fixed. Which ever is smaller cuts turns off the beam, kind of like an AND gate.

<TotalMuzzleBlastAnimationTime>5.0</TotalMuzzleBlastAnimationTime>

<BeamDuration>5.0</BeamDuration>

Maybe we can combine the super heavy tank with the Hellbore Ion.

How bout a return of the Mu Arae Entente with its Imperial forces, such as super heavy tanks?

Here is a concept picture, a super heavy tank with a Hellbore Ion cannon, a forward mounted 90mm canon, a 20mm Coax, and a sensor jammer.

tank.jpg