Artillery

Phonan

I'm wondering what everyone would think about some artillery turrets. Do the developers have any models like this? artillery-gun-01_02.jpg

Or should we model our own?I believe these and AT Towers like Poesel's been thinking of would be great additions. For example, one captures the artillery tower and it begins bombarding any enemies it sights. I believe this is possible with what we have.

I think it would be cool to have some long range howitzer-turrets, maybe in the 140mm range. Low rate of fire. HE only. Very few in number (maybe 2 or 3).

The howitzer turrets should engage everything in LOS and it would be really cool if a Mercury and the new sniper squad could direct the howitzer for indirect-fire (less accurate of course).

The howitzer turrets should be very vulnerable to damage/destruction themselves.

The howitzer turret is exactly what I was thinking of. It would be very hard to let infantry direct the fire, but the tower should be easy by simply reworking the existing towers. Do you think that a model resembling the above one would be good?

Absolutely! That cannon looks cool. If Clay cannot cough it up, I am sure Redcon or Poesel can make a similar model, maybe combining it with some of the look of the German 88mm Flak from WW II.

88mm Flak

Were you thinking of putting it on top of a tower or would it be a deployable turret? (A turret would allow for cools offensive tactics such as dropping one in about 3k out on a hilltop to shell a base in addition to using it for defense)

Here is another cool model:

127mm US Marine Defense Battalion Gun WWII

And here is a sci-fi looking 4 barrelled howitzer from 3drt.com (maybe it would be able to fire one tube at a time rapidly, then have long reload sequence, if that could be done):

Artillery Battery Turret

Get Some!

[ February 28, 2007, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Imperial Grunt ]

Absolutely! That cannon looks cool. If Clay cannot cough it up, I am sure Redcon or Poesel can make a similar model, maybe combining it with some of the look of the German 88mm Flak from WW II.

88mm

Were you thinking of putting it on top of a tower or would it be a deployable turret? (The turret allows for dropping one in about 3k out on a hilltop to shell a base would a cool tactic as well in addition to using it for defense)

Here is another cool model:

127mm US Marine Defense Battalion Gun WWII

And here is a sci-fi looking 4 barrelled howitzer from 3drt.com (maybe it would be able to fire one tube at a time rapidly, then have long reload sequence, if that could be done):

Artillery Battery Turret

Get Some!

Do you think about deployables or staionary turrets?

Adding a different gun to a deployable is quite easy - just change the turret. But: Mortar or ATGM turrets are quite dangerous so an attacker would always kill them first. HEAT gets a turret from any range.

So a 'heavy turret' would be most probably stationary and bunkered = not deployable. That means that the scenario creator will have to place them.

More: heavy defenses give the defender a heavy advantage so unbalanced inventories are a prerequisite. Or a secnario where most of these have to be conquered would make sense.

So if someone plans a scenario and needs some special turret I'll try my luck with it.

I dont think the intent is to create any "heavy turrets" that are heavily armored, just more of a variety of turrets.

These would be great in my opinion:

1) Poesel's updated 90mm turret

2) Phonan's howitzer turret

3) An ATGM turret

ATGM Turret

4) Dual 20mm turret

Dual 20mm

Redcon's dragon's teeth (should be able to be emplaced prior to scenario start, like mines) would help with base defense alot. (Redcon is working on it)

Bunkers for turrets (except AAA turrets who would be masked by overhead cover) would be good. (Separate topic)

Roadblocks and low defensive walls that the player could set up around his base would be a good addition as well.

Barrier

Do you think about deployables or staionary turrets?

Adding a different gun to a deployable is quite easy - just change the turret. But: Mortar or ATGM turrets are quite dangerous so an attacker would always kill them first. HEAT gets a turret from any range.

So a 'heavy turret' would be most probably stationary and bunkered = not deployable. That means that the scenario creator will have to place them.

More: heavy defenses give the defender a heavy advantage so unbalanced inventories are a prerequisite. Or a secnario where most of these have to be conquered would make sense.

So if someone plans a scenario and needs some special turret I'll try my luck with it.

Don't know if you've seen the new scenario I'm working on, but it's a maze of interconnected islands. I could use some isolated artillery/ATGM towers. I think, though, that artillery would be best in a tower, seeing as it is a very powerful weapon. Making it a deployable seems a bit too strong.

On another note, this scenario is mainly meant as a Territory game, so new towers (like the 90mm and Artillery) would be very much appreciated.

EDIT: A quick question: do Environment Maps have to be PNGs? Or can I use a JPEG?

[ February 28, 2007, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Phonan ]

I've been working on modding an Arty tower, but unfortunately, I cannot make the guns target ground units. If anyone else is trying this and has luck, I'd appreciate knowing how they did it. Of course, I've been modding an AA tower so maybe a turret would work better.

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

Redcon's dragon's teeth (should be able to be emplaced prior to scenario start, like mines) would help with base defense alot. (Redcon is working on it)

[/QB]

I sent a concrete Czech Hedgehog to Clay some time ago for precisely this reason. I don't know where that has got to. I still have the model knocking around.