The Labyrinth

Phonan

I've created a new scenario, "The Labyrinth." This takes place in a maze of canyons on Juda's Reach. It's rather small (my version of Terragen is unregistered,) but I hope everyone enjoys it. Any constructive criticism will be appreciated, as this is my first scenario.

I like thats a very small map and the general setting is nice with the very restricted movement.

On the downside its a bit bleak. Thats explained by the background story but still the eye needs some candy. There are also no buildings which makes objective a bit strange.

The terrain is very flat in some places which does not look good.

OTOH too many mountain ridges are simply impassable. Especially the SE corner has only one entrance IIRC.

That imbalances CTF since the NW flag is accesible from several sides.

My proposal: create some 'noise' on the flat areas, soften up some of the ridges to create passes, put some green in the valleys and balance the map better.

And: more buildings. That wouldn't go with the background story but what if that map had lots of neutral conquerable AA and AT towers? A tower is harder to kill than a turret and its possesion could make the owner of the valley. Just a thought.

Maybe take some textures from existing scenarios? Lots of green there.

You shouldn't be worried too much about AA coverage because with the small size a reinforcement zone is never far away. Hmm, I don't know however, how the bots behave if everything is AA covered. Will they use the zone?

yep i quote poesel and jby it's a little bare and it's a little hard to organize a proper manouvre, I like that DS are kind of sitting ducks once they are in a canyon but to defend one base is enough to wait at the bottle neck and use AAA to prevent a drop directly inside, why don't try with limited resources?

...and when the sun starts to shine on it you will hear a high pitched noise... smile.gif

Oh, and ape units of course!

Phonan, if you like, I would give AT towers a try (not turrets - the big ones). Should be not to difficult to make and should make some formidable enemies.

That would be really cool if we could get it to work. At the moment, I;m working on adding towers, but the biggest problem is getting a cutter up on a hill to capture it. Your dropships often refuse to attempt to land you up there. Jby, I could change the texture near the objective; would that be good? And aittam, thanks, I will try that.

One question; I don't know if this has to do with the map or not, but right now, I can't log onto netgames. It says something along the lines of "This server is running a mod. Please install this mod before joining." Could this have to do with the map?

And, Poesel, AT Towers would be great. I've been dabbling with trying this myself recently, but actually with modding the existing Ion Towers. I thought if I turned off <AntiAircraftOnly> it would become pretty devastating. I was wrong- it does nothing at all to ground units, anyway. If you can get an AT Tower to work, though, I'd definitely appreciate it.