A call to arms - Save DT

Chilibird

Howdy all,

I got to thinking.. This game might die if we don't get some stuff moving. Granted, the WW2 mod might bring some more people in, but we really need to be sure they stay.

Some things that need to be done lie on the devs. This includes the netcode, or other code-related items. But there is stuff we can do to improve the game, beyond just getting our friends to play.

Between all of us, there's been shots at units, maps, and just about anything else. But we've never come up with something definitive. Great individual maps. Let's not forget the Bacchus, either.

So, here's what I propose. A list of things that WE can do to improve the game. This isn't trashing what the devs have done, as it is amazing. This is just to make it better.

- A new campaign

A thread in the main section mentioned how the campaign just seemed thrown together. Perhaps, with all the mapping talent here, we can make a campaign of our own.

- Fix the intro screenshots

As the game loads, or the pictures that 'scroll' underneath the menus. They still have the text in the corner, the dots from the units, ect. Perhaps we can go in and photoshop those out, so they appear more 'professional'. First impressions are everything. Perhaps, if the game supports it, we can use videos of the game instead of the pictures.

And, of course, there's a lot of other things that can be added, I'm sure, that I just haven't thought of. If anyone else can suggest anything, please do. I'd suggest keeping it here, cuz I don't check the wiki too much, and I don't know how much anyone else does.

What say you?

Well, I am pretty much useless for all of that kind of stuff, except maybe ideas.

I think that Poesel, Toby, and a few others would by your guys.

There was a good group of players online Saturday and the wargaming was great. I think as DT evolves, it will attract more and more, especially if it can get a little more eye candy, a better AI, and a better solo player.

Originally posted by IcemanUSA:

- A new campaign

A thread in the main section mentioned how the campaign just seemed thrown together. Perhaps, with all the mapping talent here, we can make a campaign of our own.

Actually, this is an area I've been looking hard at. The maps I've been creating are geared towards some sort of campaign. The intended order is:

</font>

• Sea Cliffs - start at the coastline and take the inland base, ready for the strike inland.</font>
  • Volcanic Deposits - seize both bases to secure this area.</font>
  • Jungle (planned) - a "From A to B" gauntlet run through the dense terrain against many light targets.</font>
  • The Dam - starting below the Dam, fight up and passed the Dam to obtain the base in the NE corner.</font>
  • Desolation City (planned) - a destroyed Urban/Industrial scenario. Retrieve information about a secret military base.</font>
  • Crystalus (planned) - storm a military base set amongst the crystal landscape of a strange moon.</font>

So - as far as maps go, I've done 4 out of 7. Where I've got bogged down is on the modelling side - I need models that aren't part of the standard set, so I've been learning Blender. Now I've got to the point where I can actually model the things I can sketch I need to learn how to get them in game. It's all progress - my main problem is finding time.

One thing I've wondered about is some sort of trigger system for (single player) maps. If I secure a base, could that trigger an event (like a resupply of ammo, more enemy tanks deploying, or a set of enemy tanks that were holding another base moving out to retake this one?). A trigger system would allow a scenario designer to make a more interactive world where secured buildings have impact on the game play.

Another point: buildings with names like CommStation and SensorStation cry out to have a real effect on gameplay. For example, a CommStation might allow all tanks to see all enemies seen by other friendly tanks. A SensorStation might boost the range of all Sensor and Jammer units.

Toby -> Why do it yourself? I'm proposing that ALL modders work together on this. Perhaps, as a group, our first order of business should be the campaign. If we all work together, we can come up with some good stuff, I'm sure. Some modelers here, such as Posel and myself, can work on making some models up. We just need to know what we want to do.

We have this set of models laying around that we licensed quite a while back but haven't yet had the chance to use in scenarios:

industrial.jpg

These might help with your urban scenario for the campaign. All models in that picture are included, even the pipelines, wall sections, power towers, chemical tanks, and various small things like rubble and trash piles that you can't really see in this screenshot.

I'd be very happy to make .physicalobjectgroups out of these for you guys if you would like to put the to use in your new campaign.

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

We have this set of models laying around that we licensed quite a while back but haven't yet had the chance to use in scenarios. These might help with your urban scenario for the campaign.

Holy carp! :cool:

I'll say they'd help! Wow! That would be great!

IcemanUSA: you are absolutely right - it would be much faster to collaborate. I'm pretty quick at putting terrain together - if someone (preferably with Windows who can use the Editor) wants to populate the maps with buildings, that would really help. Similarly, anyone who is good at taking a .blend file and creating a .physicalobjectgroup file for it is welcome to pick up my modelling efforts.

Hey everybody. I just joined the forums, though I've been reading for a while. Iceman, I think either the background images or video would be nice to work on. Does anyone have any idea if video would be supported? I also liked that idea of posting our own ads, anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect to the developers, who in my opinion have created a great game, I fully agree that at some point the users (us) need to take more responsibility for improving and expanding the game in the areas of

1) Scenarios

2) Campaigns

3) Vehicles

Based on the tools that have been provided, I almost think that the developers will be disappointed if the players do not take an active role in continuing the game design!

I think that it would be very beneficial if we could start some threads to discuss what makes a scenario, campaign, vehicle, etc. "good." In other words, what does it take to make a scenario that is not just a challenge, but also fun to play? What is most important in a campaign: a compelling story, an engaging sequence of missions, or something else entirely?

I also think that it would be really handy if we could create a clearinghouse for files (using FTP or some other file-sharing technique). This would allow designers to more easily swap files. It would also allow for some amount of specialization, e.g. certain people could specialize in terrain and others in textures.

These are just some ideas that I have off the top of my head. I am definitely interested in working on creating game expansions. If anyone wants to contact me directly, I can be e-mailed at jrdankert _at_ hotmail (finish e-mail address in the usual fashion). Please put "dropteam" in the subject line to ensure that I read and respond quickly.

If you guys want some of those models pictured above, then tell me which ones would be most useful to you so I can prioritize them. I would rather give them out a few at a time so you can start using them, rather than waiting for me to do them all which might take a while (when you don't even want some of them).

Another point: buildings with names like CommStation and SensorStation cry out to have a real effect on gameplay. For example, a CommStation might allow all tanks to see all enemies seen by other friendly tanks. A SensorStation might boost the range of all Sensor and Jammer units.
Another building that would be really useful is a repair station- I think the model is already ingame. It would be really nice to be able to take a building and use it to repair your damaged vehicle, esp. during a defensive battle. It would definitely help the defenders.