Introducing Desert Mesa

Toby Haynes

Ideally, Clay picks up the tarballs and rolls them into the next release :)

In the meantime, you can grab the tarball from the webpage. Change directory to the DropTeam "data" directory (on my linux box, that's /usr/local/games/DropTeam/data but given I moved it there after the initial install, that's probably not much help). Unpack all the files in the tarball into that directory and you should be able to play the scenario using the "Standalone" Tab in the game browser. It will appear as the last entry in the list - you should be able to choose between Objective, CTF and Territory game modes from the menu on the right.

You won't be able to play the map online until a) the server has the map and B) the ScenarioList.dat file has the level and gameplay type added to the current map rotation.

One note: upgrading a level will have "interesting" effects if you play against a server with the old version. Tanks will sink into the ground, etc. Don't do it unless you are into such things :) I've tried to play Volcanic Deposits online briefly using version 1.5 on the client and version 1.1 on the server. Not really recommended.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I have fun putting these scenarios together so I hope that you folks get a kick out of blowing stuff up in them :)

I'm always open to suggestions for scenarios. This one started off life as something a little more Martian than Earth-like but I decided I liked the idea of the Mesa plateaus and fleshed it out to be something more like the Arizona desert.

In case people haven't guessed, I also have designs on making all my levels into a single player campaign. I'd like to have another two or three scenarios before I work out a suitable campaign order though so there are more landscapes to produce yet.

Well, since you opened the door for suggestions, I would love to see the following maps!

1) A "crystal map" ala the game "Total Annihilation"

2) A thickly wooded/jungle map with lots of roads

3) A rubbled urban dense map, like the future LA in the movie "Terminator", minus the skulls being crushed underfoot of course.

The idea of a Crystal map appeals enormously - I assume you mean something like this:

tacc_crystal02.gif

I think I can work out some sort of landscape filter that would give that style of heightmap. I might have to reach into my raytracing knowledge to come up with a reasonable colourmap to match to it though. I'll have to think on that one.

Both the jungle map and urban/heavy industrial maps are already on my list of ideas as well. Both really require some modelling resources that aren't yet in the game. I'm playing around with Blender at the moment, trying to improve my modelling abilities and generate some decent objects to add to the game. Such maps would require some care to avoid reducing the performance in game to a crawl.

For the jungle map, a lot of the foliage would be best generated as new vegetation textures, maybe larger than most of the standard sets. A mixture of new palm trees and other such trees would then go a long way to completing the presentation.

That's it! Good luck with the maps, they would all be awesome.

Hey, and the Arm Maverick (Gunslinger) Kbot would make for a decent heavy infantry marine as well in DT.

Long live the Arm resistance.

I think that the following TA maps would be great for DT:

Crystal Maze

Block Wars

Lava and Two Hills (with bridges added)

Pin Cushion

Good old Sherwood

Thanks for effort!

[ November 27, 2006, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Imperial Grunt ]

Another fantastic work, Toby. They keep getting better and more innovative, not only in terms of looks but also in terms of gameplay possibilities. I'm intrigued by a new campaign, too!

Ah, those screenshots really make me want to whip out the commander's nanolathe and start building Cans and eventually Krogoth all over again. Oh, the lost hours playing TA... crushing your do-gooder, worthless Arm "resistance fighters". Bah.

Maybe I shouldn't post this distraction but hey, since we're on the topic of TA...

The best of the TA engines out there in my experience is the amazing Spring engine - version 0.74b is just out.

screen95.jpg

If that screenshot doesn't make you want rippling reflective water for DropTeam, nothing will :)

Hmm..I attempted to download TA Spring but I do not see any Docs or the game itself.

I followed these instructions but I am lost. I can't find a way to start the game. The spring test brings up a menu screen that does nothing.

STEP 2: Download the Current Installer

Click Here (http://taspring.clan-sy.com/download.php) to go to the downloads page. Download the Regular installer option. Run it and install it somewhere on your computer. In theory if, at this point, you read the stuff in the "docs" folder, then you will know what to do next.

STEP 3 Make Sure the Game Works on Your Computer

Browse to the installation folder and double-click "spring.exe". Choose "yes" on the "do you want to be a server" dialog, choose the "Commanders" script with the arrow keys and enter, choose a map with the arrow keys and enter, press enter to force start the game.

Don't bother going online until you figure out how to make your Commander build buildings and your buildings build units, and manage to find and kill the other Commander on the map and get the "You Win" message.