Introducing The Dam

Toby Haynes

It's about time I released another map - here's the level that I used to write the tutorial over in the Wiki. In the name of shameless self promotion, you can read it at

http://dropteam.johalla.de/moin.cgi/The_Nexus_6_approach

The new level is available at

http://tjwhaynes.googlepages.com/dropteamresource

I've put three modes together for this level - Objective (get/hold the Dam defences), CTF (with bases in the east and west sides of the valley) and Territory (there are four bases to control).

WARNING: as it stands, it uses the Hopewell environment map. This is not shipped currently with DropTeam - I have sent the files to Clay and hopefully they will be part of 1.2.2. Follow the instructions on my web page and you should be able to play the level.

Just to give a flavour, here are a few screenshots.

TheDamIntro.jpg

Dam-LowerRiver.jpgDam-westside.jpg

Originally posted by millan:

What it will do if you make hole into the dam with artylerry or cutter? Water will stay at the same place?

Yes - the water stays in the same place. That actually was a concern so I made sure that the Dam was quite a bit higher than the water on both sides so that this wasn't quite so obvious. The water volume is really just a box defined in the XML file.

If I can work out particle emitters, I'll put some leak points in the dam to simulate water flow ;) But for now, what you see is what you get.

Thanks for all the comments. I hope it plays as well as it looks - I gave each of the play modes a thorough going over with the bots but sneaky human players may be able to exploit it in ways that the bots miss.

One piece of advice for people playing this level - all the facilities near the Dam are linked, so the two AATowers which protect units on the dam can be hacked with Cutters from either end. That said, the positions can be well defended by determined defenders, so the attackers will have to work to pull off the steal.

I learned some new tricks putting this level together - note that the roads are now properly centred on the flat areas (compare this against SeaCliffs where the road had a tendency to seep over one side. I'll be putting out new versions of Sea Cliffs and Volcanic Deposits in the next week or so using the new tricks to tidy up the roads. Volcanic Deposits could also do with a few more buildings than it currently has.

And I will also be publishing the source code to my erosion/road/map tools soon too. Really. Honestly! I'll try and get the Howto instructions written up and then it should be ready for a first release. I need to test it out on a 32bit system first but that is the last hurdle.

• 3 months later...

Somehow I never ran this scenario and boy did I miss something. This is really beautiful!

One problem: although its running fine in standalone (on Linux) it fails to run on a server (again Linux)

?

Error message is:

SCENARIO: ERROR: Failed to load scenario file

The scenario file 'TheDam.scenario' failed to load. Details of the error are shown below.

|TERRAIN ERROR: The elevation data is NOT a power of 2 in both width and height. Elevation data must be a power of 2 in both width and height.

Sorry Toby, I don't have your email and I would like to have that in the rotation. smile.gif