Heavy Infantry Squads

Originally posted by aittam:

a this point we should change their name , they should be called something else 'cause heavy infantry could be a classic squad with a recoiless 90mm gun

Light infantry manning a crew served weapon(CSW), such as a 90mm recoiless rifle, would be a heavy weapons team or a CSW team. Its a supporting element and not a maneuver element that closes with and destoys the enemy. That is the difference.

The heavy infantry squad has heavier powered armor and heavier weapons than thier light infantry counterparts. Like Spartan hoplites. Heavy infantry.

Light infantry support teams have been mentioned before as well as other specialized teams, such as snipers, combat engineers, and recon teams. Maybe one day there will be a complete inventory of both light and heavy infantry squads, and the specialized support teams.

I would imagine that the DT:WWII has the similar infantry types as well.

Just my thoughts.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've had some luck with squad size so I'll share it. The trick is to make sure that the squad leader has the same number of squad mates as everybody else. Or that the Squad Leader is the only person with squadmates in his profile. (sorry i would give an example but I'm not on my home computer). I have played from a single troop with a very heavy rifle to in my most insane moments a 30 (yes 30) man squad all with 20mm(much beer was consumed at the time).

My goal was to make a version of a Dragon Team with ATGMs. However I have had no luck it keeps crashing. Any helpful ideas? Right now I'm changing one or two things at a time to see what causes the crash.

At this point giving the unit TOW.physicalobjectgroup ammo crashes the game.

Well thats my two cents.

Good news but I can't repeat that. I've tried a squadleader with five - that worked. Removed the Members tag from the ordinary riflemen - works. Reduced the squad leader to zero members - crash. Two members - crash. Added to members to the rifleman - crash.

Can you post the files here or mail them to me? Address is in my profile - thanks.

For the ATGM to work you need a proper gun tag. The gun doesn't need to be visible. I had infantry equipped with that but the showstopper is that you can't switch to that weapon - 'r' doesn't work with inf.

If you want to test then just copy the everything the gun tag encloses from the shrike and change the ID accordingly. Doesn't crash but doesn't work either.

Sorry poesel I dont have time right now running out the door for work. I give them post them in about 9 hours :( ,

What i'm doing differntly is copying a specilist profile renameing putting it to inventory and dropping that way.

Anybody want a three team with a speclist armed with a IonCannon that shoots 90mmAP?

Add more tonight got to work

OK I'll admit when I'm wrong. One is a good number, five is good, 25 is really good. But three crashes when they get out of the drop pod. I thought it was the ATGM that was causing the crash (might still be). Maybe it has something to do with the formation file. Computer dosen't know how to handle blank spot in the setup.

Which leds me to the questions, anybody know where, what, how to, or with what do you open the infantry animation and model files?

Originally posted by Redcon-5:

Thanks poesel. I got my SAM trooper working (he shoots missles out of his shoulder lancher and everything). Thanks to your hint about the squad size and gun tags I got it to work. now for some fine tuning. I'll keep you posted. Oh and I send the file.

When you say SAM, do you mean an ATGM or a surface to air missile?

I think it would be awesome if you could make a "Dragon" team or a ATGM team. Are they a light infantry squad with a ATGM?

Originally posted by Redcon-5:

Right now it is One trooper with a ATGM launcher five rounds standard, and five that i've uped the speed on for SAM. But no missle lock you have to fly the missle in.

Awesome! If there was a way to make that single gunner into a team of 3-4, then all kinds of crew served weapons teams could be made. There should a teamleader with a standard 10mm rifle/ATG, the gunner (he should have a rifle too), and a ammo-man, who has a rifle in order to provide security (and he carries the extra missiles, sucks to be him!) 5 AT and 5 AA missiles is a bit much to carry though, especially for one gunner, who also has to carry the launcher. In my opinion, the team should only have 5 AT missiles total, spreadout among the team in an absracted manner. A three man, light infantry "hunter-killer" squad would also be useful: Teamleader with a rifle, ATGM gunner with 2 missiles, and a 20mm HMG gunner.

But I guess adjusting the number of guys in a squad is a major problem with the heavy infantry squads as well.

The old M-47 Dragon, brings back memories... when I got trained on the Javelin I was blown away by how much technology has improved.

Hope it all works out Red Con, it would be great to see your creations in action!

Powered Armor

Although I like the earlier Starship Troopers miniatures as a model for the heavy infantry marines the best, here is a 3D computer model that would probably work well: the marine's primary weapon, the Y-rack with secondary weapons, and a jet pack would have to be added. A radio antenna would be cool. And camo of course!

[ December 27, 2006, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Imperial Grunt ]

• 1 month later...

I dont have any where to post my files (I dont think I do anyway), Help please.

Thats is all I did too was to use the ion beam (looked to much like a launcher already. My Five man squad was two launchers three rifles. with the above mentioned ammo change. Still cant get a lock on though ;(

Side note: I though up a realy annoying Infantry unit but dont know how or if it is possible. Cant you have a unit constantly play a sound file over and over very loudly?