superheavy

jdevlin

Heres an idea for a superheavy.

Its main turret ( same one i used in my other design, widened and scaled up ) holds a 120mm and a large caliber autocannon ( 57mm? 76mm? ) or an ion beam.

variants mount some combination of ATGM, ECM, Automatic Point Defense turrets or an AA launcher.

Its kind of blocky - it relies on shear armor thickness for protection rather than sloping.

Ideally, the only way to kill it is to hit it point blank from behind with 120mm, or heavy ion fire.

Note: I don't believe that this is an "Ogre" class tank - those are supposed to be even bigger with even more weaponry, up to nuclear.

superheavygu9.th.jpg

[ September 10, 2006, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: jdevlin ]

I like the design, too. Its blockiness puts some fear in the enemy.

But why do you put a 76mm coaxially to a 120mm? Both are long range weapons. Rather put an advanced ammo loader in the turret with a faster loading time to give it an edge over the Thor.

120mm from behind is a bit much: how do you get any 120mm close to something like this? At least some Paladin carried weapon should be able to penetrate. Maybe 76mm close from the side and 20mm close from behind?

adzling - still waiting for your mail smile.gif

Originally posted by poesel71:

120mm from behind is a bit much: how do you get any 120mm close to something like this? At least some Paladin carried weapon should be able to penetrate. Maybe 76mm close from the side and 20mm close from behind?

The reason I suggested this was because I anticipated these being very limited in number and I didn't wanna see them get popped by some 6km shot smile.gif

i guess it depends in part on whether it mounts a point defense system or not.

I imagined one of these storming an objective. 120mm shells are bouncing off of it - atgm carriers can't get close enough to target it, the tank's already fuzzy signature is surprising because of its massive size, maybe the missiles are getting shot down by a point defense system. But its opponents know what to do - they stand off and start a large scale ion bombardment on one of its surfaces, melting away its major advantage while the behemoth flails away with its 120mm.

I would argue that maybe a 76mm from behind at point blank might puncture something, but I think that 20mm should bounce off of it until ions have done their work.

anyways, its all kind of moot until i figure out how to texture, and then figure out how to get the model into a mod. smile.gif ( yes, I am studying the tank destroyer thread! )

[ September 10, 2006, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: jdevlin ]

Heh, well I don't necessarily need approval to work on it. smile.gif

I had a thought though - something like this wouldn't be combat droppable, unless you had a superheavy dropship.

That would mean limiting the deployment to deployment zones. Is there any way to do that?

-Joe

I think Hub gets the bonus points - and a free crossing of the Bridge of Death (choice of favourite colour notwithstanding).

Actually, active camoflage might be interesting (to pull this back onto thread having totally derailed it). Even if the tanks/infantry just became say 40% transparent with it's influence, it might be enough to be really well hard to spot. Adding a pixel shader to refract the backdrop just a little would be a very neat effect.

That would actually make for a cool campaign. Going up against a new fast, light tank with active camoflage that is ripping apart established bases and resources, leading up to some final conflict against an OGRE tank of some description.

Cheers,

ideally, your enemies will be screaming "run away!" as you fling 120mm rounds every 2 seconds in this hightech monstrosity. You'll find it far more effective than launching cows!

heres an ingame shot. finally overcame the issues i was having and got the thing into Drop Team. Note that this is without the directional collision models. I can't figure out why theres no shadow, but I'm sure that will come with time.

untitledzl2.th.jpg