Modeling & Sketchup

Chilibird

Howdy all,

I decided to start using sketchup for making the Ramses, and in 2 days I got done what took me 2 weeks in Blender. Needless to say, I like what I see.

Now then, I have 2 questions.

1- Texturing. How do I do that? Is there a way to output the model for painting, or do I have to manage a decent texture using sketchup's tools?

2- How do I export the model into .cob format? I see the export menu, but I don't see .cob (or truespace) as an option. Same goes for .obj (though I understand that's only doable using Sketchup Pro)

about 2): Google Sketchup can only export to Sketchup or Google Earth or 2D...

Sketchup Pro can do more including .obj but not .cob (which we don't need at all).

Sketchup Pro will run for 8 hours though before you need to register. So you can do the modelling in the normal version and do the export with Pro. Just don't leave it open when you go to the loo smile.gif

about 1).

you're gonna need soemthing other than sketchup to the texture mapping.

i.e. blender or wings 3d (if you're going for the free 3d apps).

and you'll need to use the texture map and camo packs that were posted in the tank destroyer thread....

or make up your own ;)

Sounds good. Is there a way to import the Sketchup model into Blender/Wings 3D (I haven't used Wings before)? Or am I gonna have to do this whole thing over again?

Second-> How do I go about making the model line up. I see that we are supposed to have the point of rotation for the turret on the x/y axis, ect, but I'm confused as to how this is implemented. Do I make all of the objects (Turret/Gun/Chassis) in one file, or do I need to have 3 seperate sketchup files to do this? And if it is in one file, do I just select the given part of the model I want to export and export it, or do I need to define it somehow "this is the chassis" "this is the turret"?

Last.. I have a few lines that don't line up too perfectly. Is there a way to easilly make them match edges?

Look at what Blender can import. Both can do DXF at least.

We need 3 separate .obj files, so probably 3 Sketchup files will be the way to go.

Read through a physicalobjectgroup file and you will see that each vehicle part is referenced.

Just pull a point to the other line. Sketchup will automatically delete matching lines and join the faces.

Alright. Reading the tutorials leaves me somewhat confused still.

I have my AFV designed. Using the Chassis part of the model (Does not have the turret or gun), I created the Front/Back/Left/Right/Top/Bottom collision .obj files. Now then.. how do I tell my Ramses.physicalobjectgroup file that "hey, this one is the front for the chassis" "hey, this one is the left side for the chassis".

I also presume I basically repeat the steps and create the 6 collision models for the turret and gun as well? Or should I have created my 6 models from the complete AFV (Turret/Chassis/Gun)?

Heh.. sorry if these seem stupid. I can't seem to find a .physicalobjectgroup file that uses the .obj collision model method for reference. As far as I can tell, I use the <collisionmodel> tags (what is the real tag, anyway?) in place of all of those "collisiontriangle" tags. Which would mean that I need 6 .obj files for each of the 3 parts of my AFV?

Basically, I'm also stuck as to what to do with my model files, as well. I've got them all seperated into their own parts, but I'm stuck as to what to do with them after that. Do I save them out as .kmz files, open em in blender, and save them as .cob files?

[ September 10, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: IcemanUSA ]

Read the Wiki and/or this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=61;t=000075

The gun needs no collision model. You can't shoot the barrel.

There is no reference for a .obj collision model because it hase not been done yet.

You will need 6 obj for each of chassis and turret.

And please RTFP -> read my first answer