smoking mortar Thor

poesel

First kudos to the developers: I had the idea this morning in the car and needed nothing more than a text editor. The flexibility of the game engine is really great!

There has been some talk about outfitting the Thor with a small grenade and a smoke launcher. Nothing easier than that! smile.gif

I took the grenade launcher data from the Paladin mortar and aplied it to a Thor. Just add another gun and it will be available through 'r'-cycling.

Only problem: DT needs a modelfile although the mortar should have been integrated in the turret (that is: invisible in game terms). Deleting the modelfile line will crash DT. Since I don't know how to solve this I left the model as is and so the Marder gun is sticking vertically out of the turret. Not nice but works.

For the smoke I reduced an ordinary mortar round so it does no damage anymore. The smoking pieces should do the trick.

Problem here: the number of theses smokers depends directly on HEBlastDiameter which in turn effects the amount of shaking and digging. So to get enough smoke the round does quite a bang and shake but does no damage at all (and does not dig).

For game balance issues the number of mortar rounds is reduced to five and their range to roughly 2km. There are 15 smoke rounds with a range of roughly 500m.

You can get the mod here:

Smoker Mod

Just unpack in the Mod directory.

Good to hear that it works. When I asked for smoke launchers on the thor I was thinking of a multiple launcher which launches a semicircle (or a little less) at a distance of around 10m with very short flight time (i.e. not high trajectory). Do you think that would be possible?

Ok, done that. There is a newfile under the old link including a very_small_triangle.obj. No sticking out of the head anymore.

Tanki, Ididn't change the trajectory because the flight time of the smoke round is just around 3 seconds (because of the low projectile velocity). The ability to lob it over objects seems useful and, well, it looks cool. smile.gif

So now I would like to know what the others think of this mod and if it should be included in the game?

There is still some work to be done. One point which only TBG could do would be to change the explosion and shaking effect for the round which is obviously too much. But I don't know how to suppress that.

Other things would be a change in the turret graphics to include a mortar, a smoke round icon and an animation for the shell (which is currently just the mortar shell).

And a bonus question: I looked at the mortar ammo supply:

The Thor-MC has 40, the Palladin-MC just 10. That should IMHO be 40/20 and 10 for the would be Thor.