whats contact for?

poesel

An example from the LightTank:

<Contact>

<Name>RightTrack</Name>

<Position>6.5,14.2,-3.4</Position>

</Contact>

I can understand by heart how some people loathe to write documentation (I do!) but still there are some who apreciate getting it (me smile.gif ). Any form would suffice.

Contacts are what's used for collision detection with the terrain. The boxes and triangles are used for objects colliding with objects, but contacts are used for objects colliding with terrain.

Each of these is a 3D point in the local coordinate frame of your model. That point can collide with the ground. So you want to create just enough of these to describe the rough shape of your vehicle. Unlike collision boxes and triangles, this can be a really rough shape.

A contact without a name is just a point that can touch the ground. Some of them have special names that give them more meaning, though. At the moment this includes LeftTrack and RightTrack. When contacts with these names touch the ground, they actually move across the ground at the vehicle's track speed. In other words, these are the points on your tracks for a tracked vehicle. These are what make a tracked vehicle actually move.