a scenario wish

poesel

That goes to our respected scenario makers. Its a simple idea and might be of interest to others:

A (mostly) symmetric map with 2 or more reinforcment zones per player and NO dropships.

The gametype would be Objective or Territory (which I have to say don't know the exact difference) and both parties start with 0 points and try to get hold of 1 or more objectives/territories.

The idea is to take out all the out of space outflanking possibilities and see what happens when you have to go all the way.

Put <NumDropshipsTeam0>0</NumDropshipsTeam0> and <NumDropshipsTeam1>0</NumDropshipsTeam1> into all of the .scenario files and fire up your server! I'll play. ;)

Also, it's quite a simple thing to make the objective "mutual" like that. I would be happy to hookup a scenario or 2 for you in this way. Do you want to pick a few and then run them for a while?

Ok, I tried HotDropZone and HouseToHouse -> PedestrianZone and DriveIn.

Those worked solo on the Mac but did crash on the Linux server. I tried to validate against the xsd and found out that the xsd included in DT is older than that on your website and both do not include 'NumDropshipsTeam0'. Got you again smile.gif

So here are the scenarios without dropships. If someone could be so kind and tell me whats wrong with those. I they work I'll put them online.

PedestrianZone

DriveIn

Any proposals for a change in the scenarios would be apreciated.

Do both of those crash on the server?

EDIT: The reason I ask is because one of them only has a Territory game type in it. So if the server is set to run Objective, and it reaches that scenario, it will try to find an Objective game type and fail, so then it will "fall back" to the CTF game type but that will also fail. Bad things may happen?

[ September 08, 2006, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: ClaytoniousRex ]

Yes, they crash both.

Did some testing...

That is the command line:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:../lib ./SpaceVikings -enterlobby false -hostmode server -numbots0 6 -numbots1 6 -maxclients 12 -deploymenttime 100 -dynamicbots true -uselos true -collisiondamage true -gamelength 3 -lobbyname "Creature Zoo" -password xxx -gametype Objective

If I don't set the gametype the server will always crash. If I set the gametype to either Objective or Territory then the respective type will run but the other will crash.

So I ran both scenarios (by deleting the other from ScenarioList.dat) and encountered some oddities:

- the game time starts earlier than deployment time (I only noticed because of the short times used for testing)

- I couldn't see the server in the network overview though the Squidlord obviously could: I saw him connecting but getting disconnected later. I could only connect per direct play

- the number of dropships is still 15 although I set it to 0 inside <GameType>

- I connected twice but in the log it said it didn't know the user and created a new one. From the logfile:

CLIENTIDMSG: szVersion = 1.1.5

CLIENTIDMSG: Client is using PAT?

CLIENTIDMSG: Swapped port = 59673 but msg port = 9968

SERVER: Request from host 62.143.162.249:59673

CLIENT: Account not found for poesel06; creating new one

And the ConnectLog:

poesel06 connecting on 8/28 at 20:57

SquidLord connecting on 9/9 at 8:0

poesel06 connecting on 9/9 at 8:4

poesel06 connecting on 9/9 at 8:12

poesel06 connecting on 9/9 at 8:22

That would be a much better way to select game types!

What does a long ping run (50 or so) from the server show against tbgsoftware.com? Is there some packet loss or extraordinarily high pings?

The dropships problem is because I gave you the wrong tag. It's really Team0NumDropships not NumDropshipsTeam0, etc. Sorry about that.

Ping seems quite nowmal. 93ms to TBG with little to no deviation. When I do an update I usually get >600k/s.

The server is now up and running. Its currently only the dervative of HotDropZone because of the gametype issues. Any comment to the setup would be apreciated.

You can get the file from:

PedestrianZone

If you don't see the server (like me) try direct play with '213.239.201.236'

I see the server from the linux box but not from both of the macs. All three are on the same router.

?

The logfile is getting big fast so I edeleted it. I assumed DT would create it anew but no. No logfile anymore while the server is still running!?

Hmm, don't know. I have no logfile smile.gif

I think I'll switch to another anyway. This map with that configuration is pretty boring as the bots keep coming down the streets in singles. After the Thors are removed its like shooting ducks.

Maybe Iwo Jima would be a better choice as the deployment zones could cover the whole border of the map.

Originally posted by Junglist:

I've tried to join this server a few times but I keep getting the message about not having the scenario file. I have downloaded the pedestrian zone file and am able to play it in standalone so I'm a little confused. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

got the same problem