tank destroyer

adzling

No, every face is assigned to one "direction". These directional assignments are only used for figuring the armor thickness at that spot on the object. It has nothing to do with real directions in 3D space; it's really just 6 names for 6 (potentially) different armor thicknesses allocated across the faces of the object. Instead of "front", "left", etc. you could just think of them as "Armor1", "Armor2", etc. if you wanted to.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

I've just been made aware of this thread, and I'm the sap who was conned into doing all the camo jobs for the original textures. smile.gif I can try to put together a package of information on how I did the original camo and destroyed vehicle effects so that folks can better integrate new vehicles with the existing designs.

Disclaimer: I am not an artist, graphical designer or any such what not, and I haven't even played them on TV. ;) I'm just a software engineer who learned how to perform a few simple tricks in Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, so the way I did all this is probably not the best way, but it got the job done for me, and your mileage may vary.

Due to real-life I don't know how quickly I can get stuff put together, but hopefully it won't take too long. I'll probably start a new topic announcing when the information is available so that any questions or updates to it can be kept in a common thread.

Hey Gordon all i really need is a file that contains your camo texture overlays as delivered to marco; no need to detail how you arrived at those camo textures.

If you have any info as to how those camo overlays and destroyed vehicle effects were added to the base textures supplied by marco that would be appreciated but please don't let that delay the posting/release of the camo textures themselves.

I am happy to report that ADS has finished adding their tool for unfolding uv maps to FormZ and i am currently beta-testing it for them.

This means that once i get the camo layers from Gordon i will have all the elements in place to accurately and easily construct uv texture maps based on the existing details and camo designs!!!

I can't tell you how excited I am at the fantastic response of ADS.

I emailed them regarding the difficulty i was having with uv mapping using their current tool and within a week and half they constructed a new tool just for me!

It's worth noting that the uv maps that FormZ will now generate are dimensionally accurate with NO stretching or warping associated with traditional uv mapping techniques (see marco's previous posts in this thread).

Now that is an unheard of level of customer support.

woot!

Originally posted by adzling:

Hey Gordon all i really need is a file that contains your camo texture overlays as delivered to marco; no need to detail how you arrived at those camo textures.

If you have any info as to how those camo overlays and destroyed vehicle effects were added to the base textures supplied by marco that would be appreciated but please don't let that delay the posting/release of the camo textures themselves.

But that's my point, it's not simply a camo overlay like you would drape a camouflage cloth over the object. The digital camouflage is actually three separate disruptive layers applied over the base color layer (which some sections patched to account for weird stretching in the 3D model), and the splinter camouflage was all hand drawn and matched across sections of the vehicle skin). So, to make a long story short, it won't be as simple as me publishing one BMP file of the digital camouflage pattern.

thanks for the reply gordon

understood about the tutorial and resources taking some time.

if you have the camo patterns available as a simple texture i would be happy to make do with those for the time being until you get the time to deal with putting together a tutorial or presenting the texture files in a more robust manner.

With the new tool formz is building for me stretching of patterns won't be a problem as the uv mapping will be constructed without any of this...nice

dang, ok do you have a section of the splinter pattern you can provide?

Doesn't have to be as big as the digital patterns you provided, Perhaps just a piece cut-out of the overlay for the existing texture maps.

I can do some work to convert it to a seamless pattern.

It won't be as nice as your final hand-drawn ones but at least there will be some visual continuity.

Failing that i'll take the color chips ;)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

[QB] For the "little turret" for the main gun, just use the <LoStop> and <HiStop> tags to limit its traverse to a small side-to-side angle. When you get the modelling finished I'll hook this up for you in a new .physicalobjectgroup so you can see how it works. Then you can tweak it more from there.

Hi-

I was wondering if I could get an example of this code - thanks!

-Joe