Resolution Problems

Well, just got the game after a long while of debating whether or not to buy it after the price drop, and I caved in. I got the update and now when I switch the resolution to my desktop resolution of 1440x900 the game just goes to desktop with the mouse stuck at the top of the screen until I hit ctrl+alt+delete and force exit it, but it doesn't save the resolution and starts off at 800x600.

Any resolution I change to will send me to desktop with the mouse stuck at the top of the screen, and there is an option for the 1440x900 resolution so I'm sure the game is supposed to run in widescreen. And I have the latest drivers for my 7600GT as of last week.

Could you tell me how to do that, every link from google just takes me to a SDK for making programs but there appears to be no patch or update to actually install the latest OpenGl 2.1 on my PC. Also, how do I check my OpenGl drivers?

EDIT: I read that all Nvidia drivers come with OpenGl updats in them. Is there a way to run the gme in windowed mode?

[ May 06, 2008, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: tb87670 ]

Posted by tb87670

every link from google just takes me to a SDK for making programs

Well, Google isn't everything. tongue.gif About your nVidia Forceware drivers, what version are they? The latest version of Forceware for the GeForce 7600GT is Forceware 169.21. Also, the OpenGL app comes standard with your system. So if you're really downloaded the latest drivers, you should be ready.

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It's the OpenGL Wiki-just in case it helps. Finally, what is your system? It's hard to help when you're only giving us the graphics card series.

If you`re running winXP or linux ,open GL drivers are included in the nvidia forceware driver and don´t normally require activation.

I´m running forceware 162.18 and that includes openGL 2.1.

The 7600GT supports open GL up to 2.0, so I don´t think that the openGL version is the problem.

don´t know about macs.

I am running on the following:

WinXP Home

AMD Athlon 3000+

EVGA GeForce 7600GT Overclocked from factory to 580MHZ on AGP8x

1.5GB PC3200 RAM

KT880 Dragon 2 V2 Mobo

Samsung SyncMaster 932BW Monitor at 1440x900 res

Old Logitech sound system

2 Lite-On DVD burners

200GB Maxtor HDD with WinXP

80GB Maxtor HDD with Ubuntu Linux 8.04

Ok, here is what happens after tinkering with the options. I turn off full screen, game is in 800x600. Then it cahnges resolution no problem but the window pushes the bottom of the screen out of view in windowed mode. So, I turn off full scree, switch the resolution to 1440x900, then hit full screen, and the same thing happens, the program becomes invisible with the mouse stuck at the top of the screen and when I click a few times it goes to desktop and I have to force the game to quit.

I am currently running the game in 1024x768 and will try others in windowed mode, but I can't just get the game to work in 1440x900 full screen. In fact, the only resolution that works in full screen is the default 800x600, all others cause the game to go invisible and have my desktop change to that resolution until I turn the game off.

Is the "Athlon 3000+" an Athlon XP 3000+, or a Athlon 64 3000+? If it's the former, you might want to get a new processor. Am I right or wrong, jby?

As far as I can tell, you've got enough RAM, although you could upgrade to a higher speed DDR (Mushkin sells a 1 GB stick of DDR 500 RAM for about $60, 2 for 2 GB would only be about $120). Graphics are good enough as well, so unless the CPU simply isn't up to it, I don't think it's hardware related.

By the way, jby, thanks for the info about OpenGL.

About the above recommendations, I can't get a newer 64-bit CPU or faster/more RAM simply because that means I gotta get a newer motherboard. This rig plays UFO Afterlight and BF2142 on medium/high just fine, so I don't wanna dump over $300 on parts I don't need. I plan on getting a PC built at ascendtech.us minus the vidcard for cheap and adding a videocard from Newegg.com that is top of the line later on.

Back to my problem, this is a SOFTWARE problem, not a hardware problem. I got all the updates for my videocard and other parts of the system and everything is in good maintenance. My HDD is defragged and all I can see is wrong is the game not wanting to cahnge resolution in fullscreen in widescreen format.

The KT880 Dragon 2 V2 Mobo is socketA so you´re really on the low end of things, though that shouldn´t make the game crash, just (possibly) sluggish.

i don´t know how often the dev looks in here, but this is his email adress, that might get help faster:

cfowler AT tbgsoftware DOT com

Other than that you could try installing on linux smile.gif

most important:

a) change dash to bash

B) install nvidia 3D graphics driver (not installed by default in ubuntu)

c) presuming that you downloaded the dt-install files in windows, make sure to give yourself access rights to the files (chmod)

I´m not a linux pro, but i can tell you how to do those 3 things, if required.

Posted by tb87670

I can't get a newer 64-bit CPU or faster/more RAM simply because that means I gotta get a newer motherboard...so I don't wanna dump over $300 on parts I don't need.

Due to the unclearness over what the CPU was earlier, I couldn't tell what it was, so I didn't know. And Athlon XPs are dirt cheap these days. So is the memory I mentioned. Nice to see you're a Newegg fan too, that's where I always look for components.

tb, you are right that this is a software problem. I'm running DT on a slower system than you (although on Linux with a low resource window manager, 800x600 and everything set to low). So your hardware seems ok for me.

You don't loose much if you can't play at 1440x900. If 1024x768 works fine then everything is there to enjoy the game.

More important is fps: you can get the current rate by hitting enter and typing: '/showfps true'. Watch that number when your in the middle of a smoky battle.

If you have enough resources then turn up viewing distance. Helps you live longer on Sunday. ;)

Well, I barely beat the first mission after 2 tries, first try was purely me learning what to do. Second mission is whomping me but I am at least using my brains now in this game with the dropships taking my vehicles for repairs and whatnot, but I didn't beat it yet. I don't know if I'm off work Sunday, bummer............

The whole time I'm in 1024x768 windowed and the game runs fast on my rig with AA4x on.

Nice to see that things are working out. If you need someone to explain the basics, head onto the main forum where you can learn from me and everyone else. :cool: If you can't make it on Sunday, we also have online battles on Wednesday starting at 7:30-8 PM EST. Also, jby runs an online server on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and the weekends, so if he thinks he tutor you, you should head out there when you can.

Edit: I went out on jby's server, and tested the /showfps true trick. It revealed that my lowest average framerate was 34 on House to House and The Dam, and my highest was 76.92 on Ice Field. Note: I was looking through the newest scenarios on jby's server, and spent just enough time in the deployment phase to get a general idea of what my laptop could do:

CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Tech TL-52

HD: 120 GB (5400 RPM)

RAM: 1 GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 integrated with up to 128 MB shared memory

All of this running at 800x600 with everything turned off and view distance close to the max.

Not bad, eh? :cool:

[ May 06, 2008, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: 152mmDumbRocket ]