==) FAQ (== How to Take a Screenshot and Other CM Goodness

<big><font color="AA0000"><big>Frequently Asked Questions (now with answers!)</big></font>

also check out the <big><font color="0000BB">Combat Mission 2: Barbarossa to Berlin FAQ</font>

</big>

First off, Probably the Number One Most Frequently Asked Question

How do I take a screenshot?

"On a Mac press Command + Shift + 3. A file will appear on your hard disk called Picture 1. Subsequent screenshots take subsequent numbers.

On a PC press Print Screen. This saves the screen to the clipboard. Then open Paint and use Ctrl + V to paste to a new document." -Big Ron

</font>

But for Voodoo 1 and 2 users, you need to download a screenshot utility such as Hypersnap, and use it's Special Capture function.

Now then,

Look at the FAQs! Also a very good search function is available above. It is sometimes quicker at answering your questions then waiting for a reply.

The search function has recently been updated and should get you there most of the time. You can search by member number to narrow and speed your search. BTS' number is 42.

search.jpg

(thanks for the swell image Dogface!)

CMBO FAQ at battlefront.com

CAR_12 has an excellent FAQ at his webpage(look for a FAQ link there)

CAR_12's CM for Macs Webpage

wargamer.com's FAQ, based on posts by Steve and Charles

The Wargamer CM FAQ

Mina's Combat Mission Site

Combat-Mission.com FAQ's and also useful is the Terms page.

<font color="BB0000"><big>Board Culture, Usage, and Vocabulary</big></font>

How do I use the UBB Board?

How to:

o make smillies

o change your profile

o find out about setting preferences

o clear cookie

o and much more!

How do I:

o post urls and images

o quoting messages

o email

o bold and italicize

o bullets/lists

o preserve formatting

How do I look at the UBB with no frames?

How do I become a member?

You need to post 30 messages.

How many posts do I have?

There is a "my profile" link at the top of the page.

What's with all the Peng threads?

After a certain while a Peng thread (aka the Cesspool) gets so big that the UBB crashes(bad). Hence, new Peng threads. Here is the Peng FAQ for reader confusion. (and another here) As to WHY the Peng threads, it is a place for mock insults at your opponents and match finding. Go in at your risk, and bring a thick skin.

Who moderates/represents the BTS BBS/company?

Big Time Software(Steve or Charles), Madmatt, and KwazyDog.

How do I get a link/image in my signature?

Images are not allowed in your signature.

Where can I test my signature?

Just add a post to the end of a topic. People will understand.

What's with all the "Hi Mom!" posts in certain threads?

The moderators lock down threads that threaten to spiral out of control into flamefests. Posters who think this is going to happen sardonically post "Hi Mom!" since you want to say hi to mom before the thread's locked.

What's with all the gerbil and hamster talk?

Most probably from the SS are overpriced hamsters! thread. Now it's part of the board vernacular.

What's an Uber Tank?

The biggest and baddest tanks in the game. Mostly German, they are the heaviest tanks in the game, and are almost impervious to smaller enemy tanks. A few examples are the Tiger, Panther, Jumbo, and Pershing. There are others as well.

What's a mod slut?

Someone who always searches for, downloads, and uses new mods for the game.

What's this abbreviation mean?

o AP: armor piercing

o HT: Half-track, an armored car with front wheels but tracks in the back.

o ME: Meeting Engagement, a type of quick battle between two sides with equal number of purchase points.

o MG: Machine gun. There is also HMG, MMG, LMG for heavy, medium, and light mg.

o PBEM: Play By E-Mail, playing another human by sending turns through email

o QB: Quick Battle, the random scenario generator

many others...

What's tungsten?

Tungsten is a very dense metal used even today in armor piercing shells. They are used very effectively against German tanks but are less available in the early months of the war.

<font color="BB0000"><big>TCP/IP and PBEM</big></font>

Where's the TCP/IP patch?

"If you have the retail version of CMBO (CDV version) don't install the 1.12 patch!!!! That may be your problem. Or any patch on the BTS website, your version is 1.12 already, even though it may say 1.03 or something like that."

-Panzerman

If you have a really old copy of CM and bought it over the Internet then get the patch if the version you have at the bottom of you intro screen is less than v1.12.

<a href="http://www.battlefront.com/downloads/index.html">Da' Latest Patch<a/>. Scroll down till you see Combat Mission in Patches.

How do I find an opponent?

There is an opponents forum at battlefront:

CM Opponent Finder. Also try the Tournament House Gaming League and Combat Mission HQ chat rooms.

How do I tell my IP address?

1) Use this URL: http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=find+your+ip

2A) choose RUN from the Start menu and type "WINIPCFG". Then click one of the connection devices, and it will reveal your IP.

2B) If you are using Mac, look at the TCP/IP setting in the Control Panel.

3) Host a TCP/IP game, then your IP address is shown automatically.[last two from GriffinCheng+]

How do I switch from TCP/IP to PBEM?

How can I make PBEM easier?

You have two major choices: the PBEM utility by Fuerte or CM: One Click to Combat by Kman. Both have been recieved positively by the CMers on this forum.

What are Fionn's Short 75 / Panther-76 Rules?

Fionn's Rules can be found here. They were rules set up to prevent every engagement from being an uber tank battle(ex. all King Tigers vs. all Super Pershings).

How is scoring done?

redwolf has provided a detailed explanation on the exiting of units. SurlyBen provides a mathematical formula for general score computation.

What and where is the BaDco Endgame Randomizer?

"The BER's purpose is to randomize when the actual last turn of the game will occur, thus making games much more challenging." -BaDco Endgame Randomizer Website

<FONT color="BB0000"><big>Gameplay</big></font>

Where can I find a beginner's newbie reference for strategy?

o Markshot's Anthology of Useful Posts

o David's CM Thread Archive

o Tournamenthouse's Player's Guide to Combat Mission

How do I order infantry mounted on a vehicle to a fixed spot and disgorge the troops?

Order the troops to move to the spot you want, and add some pauses so that it covers the time of the trip, plus command delay.

Why did my embarked unit not get off that tank?

Originally posted by kump:

When you dismount, always dismount right next to the vehicle, somewhere close.

If your dismount point is a good distance away from the mounted vehicle, the passengers will stay mounted, even with vehicles paused. They are waiting for the vehicle to approach close to the dismount point.

So try it out. Pause the vehicle, plot it to move, and at the same time, plot the passenger to dismount right next to the vehicle. Then plot the passenger to move away. Turn vehicles off if the "embark" keeps happening when you try to dismount close.

After following the above, I've ceased having dismount problems. See if it works for you.</font>

How do I get my vehicle to move away after is drops off it's passengers?

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Additional notes to the above: you don't actually need to stop but you can't be moving at Fast speed. If you want to keep the vehicles moving (e.g.to get them out of harm's way quickly) you can shift them to Move speed briefly right at the point you want the troops to disembark. I find that having the vehicles turn around a bit at Move speed pretty much guarantees the infantry will have enough time to get out. It also helps if the disembark movement order for the infantry is to a point as close as possible to the vehicle's track. You can issue additional movement waypoints to get away from the vehicle if needed.</font>

How do I un-bog my vehicle?

There is a chance that you will not un-bog at all and become immobilized. But the current feeling is to simply leave it alone or remove all movement orders of the vehicle and then have the vehicle back-up straight. Also, there is a theory that hitting one bogged tank with another until it gets shoved onto solid ground will help (unconfirmed though).

What do asterisks on a building indicate?

The building has suffered some damage if there is one star, and major damage if there are two. (You should evacuate any troops you have in a building with **)

How do I remove roadblocks?

"...not be able to clear roadblocks. The ones simulated in CM are assumed to be very difficult to remove, and therefore can not be done so within the scope of the game." -Steve

<font color="BB0000"><big>Reality</big></font>

Is there a difference between the Porsche and Henschel (normal) turrets?

"There are differences the most apparent is the shot trap the Porsche turret presents. That is on reason why the Henschel turret was used (it was also easier to manufacture)." -Priest

My King Tiger/Super Pershing/Uber tank missed fifteen times and got killed by a Stuart/Lynx/wuss tank! How did that happen?

Sometimes bad luck happens, even in war. The little units may be computers but they act like men, so there will be screw-ups, chokes, and bad karma. On the technical side tanks have weak spots, poor armor quality, or even design flaws. Plus, the Allied tanks have and now use tungsten rounds in the new 1.1 patch, a major tank killer.

When and where am I most likely to bog my tank?

There was an unofficial test done to determine bogging probability.

Originally posted by: joeri

After thinking this over for a while I have made the following assumption on how it works:

Chance of bogging is dependent on:

- ground condition (unknown how but probably just how deeper the mud/snow the more chance)

- terrain type (open terrain gives highest chance, then wheat, then brush, then scattered trees and lowest chance on roads)

Movement order has no influence because when ground conditions are bad, the driver automatically takes the slowest possible speed. Exception is reverse which removes the chance of getting bogged (this is probably a bug).

Based on these assumption best tactics in bad conditions would be (if roads are not available):

- use reverse whenever no contact is expected (and you don't mind taking advantage of a possible bug).

- use rough terrain like scattered trees and avoid open terrain when advancing to contact.

Totally different from how I used to do it.</font>

How do I un-bog my vehicle?

There is a chance that you will not un-bog at all and will be immobilized. But the current feeling is to remove all movement orders of the vehicle and then have the vehicle back-up straight.

Do vehicles provide cover for infantry?

Only if they are knocked out and burning because the smoke blocks line of sight(LOS). The calculations are too complex for CM to do it while the vehicles are on the move.

How come my tank fired at a nearby target and died when nothing hit it?

If the target was too close the main gun's blast knocked out the tank. You can check if this is so by clicking on the unit, pressing ENTER, and clicking "kills". The tank should list itself as a kill.

How did a machine gun take out my tank?

Depends on how close the machine gun was and it's ability to penetrate armor. Angle and armor quality also factors in. For example, a Hetzer's side armor cannot withstand a .50 caliber machinegun at medium to close range. (The .50 caliber was designed to take out light armor) Here is a example of the MG42 and .50 caliber's penetrating power:

russell-image002.jpg

Why is the M16 MGMC Quad .50 AA vehicle not included?

"BTS ran out of time. There is an official statement, and many discussions relating to this topic, and it brings forth a lot of passion amongst people." -Germanboy

Do machine guns on vehicles jam or get damaged?

No, but they may get knocked out if the main gun gets damaged.

Can my tank fire its machine gun if it fired off all its heavy gun ammunition?

Yes, if it has MG ammunition left. You can check this by clicking on the unit and hitting enter.

Do machine guns jam or get damaged at all?

Yes, a machine gun can indeed JAM. What's cool is that the gun crew can unJAM it given enough experience and time. Machine guns can also be immobilized.

Why can't my light/heavy machine gun run?

They have to carry the machine gun(heavy), spare gun barrels(a bit of weight), and ammo(really, really heavy). See the links so kindly provided by Lindan: spur of the moment complaining and David Aitken: Light MG 42's speed

A human wave overran my position even though I had machine guns. Are they modelled properly?

Basically, they are modelled fairly well, although they cannot be told to do some common techniques that stop human waves(grazing fire, fire arcs). Read especially the long BTS post by Steve on page 8 (yeah, page 8).

How did that human wave attack succeed?

The human wave succeeded for several reasons:

o if it suffered a 40-60 percent loss, than that's not a good thing for the attacker, and hardly something for the enemy to cheer about

o your machine guns were alone

o your machine guns were right in the front line instead of being far back. They work best if the enemy is at least 300m away.

o you told the machine gunner to target one unit in particular. Even if it breaks and runs away, it will ignore other squads running straight at it longer than if you left the machine gun to fire on it's own judgement.

Why do the firepower stats not add up for some German squads?

Most likely the squads have a light maching gun, the MG42, which requires two men to man. One soldier with a rifle will drop his rifle and help with the more deadly LMG.

Why can't crews reman guns and tanks after they are abandoned?

It is presumed that the gun or tank was so damaged the crew could not fight with it and thus had to abandon it. Plus, when abandoning a gun it was SOP to disable it.

Does anyone know where one can get good topological maps of European battlefields?

Of course, there is also Topozone.

Why can't I have a roster of all my troops?

Why isn't there white phosphorus in CM?

"WP was, so far as our research shows, rare on the battlefield. Very few weapons could fire it, so right there we question if we should bother with it in the first place. And when used HE or Smoke could have done just a good of a job at CM's level." -Steve

Why can't my artillery spotter hide and fire at the same time?

It can. It will have reduced accuracy and longer response time.

Why does the artillery clock countdown at 2 sec for every second in real time?

That will happen if the oberver doesn't have a clear LOS. it will only move at 1 sec/1 sec if there is a clear LOS to the target. Unit experience also is a factor I believe.

How much does it take to destroy a bridge?

Generally wooden bridges blow up in a few turns. Stone bridges are tougher. The large heavy stone bridge needs 14 inch guns or 300mm rockets to destroy in any decent amount of time.

[ October 18, 2002, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: russellmz ]

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<font color="BB0000"><big>Graphics</big></font>

Why does my font look funny/transparent?

If you have the retail version of CM, and installed the versio 1.12 for the Internet version, you may have fouled your graphics. Also, some video card drivers that came out after CM was finalized caused problems for CM. BTS troubleshooting guide gives cards and links to the latest drivers that may solve these problems.

The Technical Support Forum is also a useful place for help.

How do I take a screenshot?

Possibly the most asked question.

"On a Mac press Command + Shift + 3. A file will appear on your hard disk called Picture 1. Subsequent screenshots take subsequent numbers.

On a PC press Print Screen. This saves the screen to the clipboard. Then open Paint and use Ctrl + V to paste to a new document." -Big Ron

But for Voodoo 1 and 2 users, you need to download a screenshot utility such as Hypersnap, and use it's Special Capture function.

How do I change screen resolutions?

"Go to the CMBO directory and delete the "prefs" file. When you restart CM, you will be able to change resolutions." -Doug Williams

Why are there only three men max shown per squad?

It takes too much computing power to show all 8-12 men. A lot of polygons go into those little men so tripling the number will tax almost any CPU/videocard.

Why isn't a bloody corpse shown for every casualty?

Again, too much computing power is required. Not only that but BTS felt that too much gore will detract from the game.

Can we have sandbags in the foxhole graphics?

Sorry no, the big, dark crater is the same picture as the foxhole picture.

How can I make 3D rubble?

Sorry, in CMBO it is a flat .bmp, not a 3D object. However you could place several roadblocks on top to simulate a pile of rubble, since they use the same bmp file.

"...there is one little 'trick' you can use; just raise the rubble tile 1 elevation level, compared to the surrounding tiles." -Fred

<font color="BB0000"><big>Mods and Sounds</big></font>

Where is Manx's Mod List?

It is gone until he can update CMHQ. All his mods at Combat Missions were ported over, here is the temporary storage area.

Where can I get some cool mods?

CMHQ tops the list, be sure to check out Manx' old site their as well. Be sure to read this great article on CM mods, written by one of this board's very own members! And also at Manx's temporary "holding area" for all the Mods that have been ported across to CMHQ from COMBAT MISSIONS.

Where is Kump's Mod Catalogue?

How can I tell what part of the vehicle this texture is?

Voidhawk's Annotated Textures for CM:BO

Where can I get the CM Mod Option Selector(CMMOS)?

Where can I find the DFDR desert mod?

The Desert Fox Desert Rats mod is at http://www.wargamer.com/cm/cmworld/dfdr.asp

Where can I find the Frontovik mod?

The Frontovik Russian theatre mod is at http://www.wargamer.com/cm/cmworld/frontovik.asp

Where can I find Magua's Normandy mod?

Try this post.

Where is Clubfoot's Utah Beach Terrain Mod?

Again, this is found at Combat Missions.

Can I mod items that are hard-coded?

No, sorry.

...items that are hard coded:</font>
  • Unit bases</font>
  • Berrets</font>
  • Pistols</font>
  • On map mortars</font>
  • MG tripods</font>
  • Bazooka/Panzerschreck/PIATs</font>

These are the items I remember straight off.

There may be more...

Cheers

Olle</font>

Muzzle concussion, the flag poles, and the building collapse shockwave/debris cloud are hard-coded as well.

How do I change .bmp & .wav files to use on a Mac?

"The Mac Combat Mission Mod Manager (MCMMM - MCM3 for short) and the MacMod Manager are both at CMHQ under third party dl's iirc." -jd

Where can I find a PC Mod Manager?It is avaliable at CMHQHow do I change that background grass that stretches to infinity?

"The culprit bmp is 1503. Just take the hi-res equivalent, 1553.bmp, and copy it to 1503.bmp. Problem solved." -kump

Where can I find a list of all the .bmp files?

Right here. Grass tiles are .bmp files 1550-1569. Google.com has a cache of Manx's old modlist and one at WebArchive.org.

Where can I find a sound map of the .wav files?

The above link goes to a thread where I posted a general sound map. Scroll down till you see a listing...

Why does the .wav file I added crackle and squeal in CM?The .wav file should be at Mono 16 bit 44100 samples. Use a sound utility to make sure it has these properties.

How do I change that really loud exit sound?

Change file 00000171.wav and either use a computer sound recorder program to reduce the noise level or copy in a different sound like the sniper sound 00000410.wav or the "Taps" end of battle sound 00000129.wav.

[ October 06, 2003, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: russellmz ]

<font color="BB0000"><big>Scenarios, Editing, and Work-arounds</font></big>

Where can I find some scenarios?

o Big Dog's Scenario Depot

o Der Kessel

o Military Gamer

How do I increase a scenario map to the South and West in the scenario editor?

On the width and height buttons, hold SHIFT and click the height and width buttons to increase/decrease map to the South and West.

Scenario Editing Guidelines:

Suggestions with comments, located in the Scenario Editing Forum.

How do I:

o generate a random map? There's an "Auto Generate" random map button at the top of the editor.

o turn off the numbers indicating height in terrain mode? There's a "Don't Show Height" button at the top left of the editor.

o add bocages, walls, hedges, etc.? There're more tiles than can be show in one screen. Hit the button with the down arrow above the tiles.

o edit a unit? In the unit listing double-click the unit you wish to edit, or click the edit button at the bottom of the screen.

o select unit positions Hit the "Preview" button near the top of the editor and place the units wherever you want on the map.

o liiiive without yooooou?

I waaant to knooow...

How can I get a copy of the briefing?

"Hold down Ctrl and Shift and hit the Load Briefings button." -wolfe

Has anyone done any Saving Private Ryan scenarios?

Currently there are two.

How do I simulate a bridge/building demolition?

(the below is for a bridge demolition, however, the same idea is used for a building demolition)

On your scenario map put a grass or rough tile where you plan to put a WOODEN bridge tile. Dump ~12 enemy anti-personnel mines. It is important they be the enemy's and not anti-tank mines. Add a disposable squad or half squad to your scenario (at least 6 men) and name it something like "messengers". After going to Preview your map, put ALL the mines on that one grass tile where your bridge will be. Go to map editor again and put the wooden bridge tile in. Make sure you have engineers with plenty of demo charges, at least 6 charges in total.

Now in the game run your messenger over the bridge. That should set off a bunch of mines and reveal the position of the minefields (the squad should be dead by now because the mines are so densely packed). Rush your engineers there and they will start tossing demo packs after a minute or so. After 6 or 7 they will collapse the wooden bridge. Game over man, game over.

The bridge will still be crossable by vehicles, but of course with so many mines it will not be crossable by foot.

Also:

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

TRP on the edge of the bridge, 240mm arty observer with an ammo of '4' and rename him to "Demo Expert." Make him expert or crack, and the bridge will blow 30 seconds after you order it blown. The ammo of '4' will keep the arty from being abused and it will give a very small chance of not taking it out.

I've never (in my testing) seen a failed bridge blowing with the above parameters, but a few times its been the very last shell which took it down.

Also keep in mind that this is for small bridges. I once had 2 240 mm spotters drop shells for 2 min. on a large concrete bridge and it never dropped.

How do I make reinforcements arrive in good order, rather than all jumbled up?

"break your reinforcements up into 5 groups and use all the reinforcement slots" -Berlichtingen

How do I set the initial view for each side when the scenario starts?

Before you exit the editor, move the camera to the view that you want the Allied player to see when the game starts. Then for the Axis player, press "\", no quotes (not the turn 180 degrees key, other slash), then set the camera view. Press GO! and then save it.

How can I make 3D rubble?

Sorry, in CMBO it is a flat .bmp, not a 3D object. However you could place several roadblocks on top to simulate a pile of rubble, since they use the same bmp file.

"...there is one little 'trick' you can use; just raise the rubble tile 1 elevation level, compared to the surrounding tiles." -Fred

How can I edit a vehicle so it is immobilized?

No actual editor commands for that but I found a work around (I hereby claim credit for the rubble immobilization technique now and forever!). First, take the vehicle and padlock it exactly where you want. Go to the terrain editor and place a rubble or rough tile on top. The vehicle can still rotate, but it can't move out.

Why can't I edit my scenario after I playtested it?

If you saved it in the Saved Games directory and then saved it while testing it, then I am sorry to say you overwrote your scenario file with a saved game file. You cannot undo this. You can avoid this by ALWAYS saving your scenario in the Scenarios folder.

Tips and Tricks of CM Scenario Design has many scenario tips. Including, How to I make:

o rivers

o brooks

o slopes

o river crossings

o underpasses

o railway embankments

o diagonal slopes

o houses on slopes, next to roads, next to waterways

How can I put a gun in a house?

Same as above, place unit where you want, then put a terrain tile over it.

How can I edit a vehicle unit so it is gun damaged?

Edit the unit so it has no ammo.

How can I have a pillbox with a turrent?

How can I have a pillbox in the entrance of a fort?

How can I edit a unit so it has wounded?

Use split squads and make some of them shaken. That's the best idea I heard as of yet.

How do I make the AI attack better/more aggressively?

There are several ways that may or may not work.

TIPS & TRICKS

Swap the map edges. So if Allied friendly edge is West, make it East in the scenario and vice versa for the Axis. Making an exit zone in the direction you want the enemy to advance also may help. You can also leave a path of flags for the AI to follow.

Also there is this tip:

Originally posted by James:

Here are some tips on senario design which give better AI performance from the infantry and more unpredicatble better fought meeting engagements. Here are the three steps.

First: In map preview split all squads. This may seem strange but what happens is the split squads behave with more caution, a more sensitive TacAI - they react more sensibily without needless sacrifice. Also the global moral of both sides drops to 55-70% making the overall AI more cautious and less prone to giving you a turkey shoot. The infantryman in CM is abstrated into squads, by splitting the squads that abstraction is also half as less.

Second: Remove all victory flags. What!? I hear you say! The trouble with VLs is that you know where the enemy will head for, even with dynamic ones, and all you have to do is get there first into cover to let the AI force his men relentlessly into your incoming until their all casulties or broken.

Third: Place exit zones for each side opposite each other. ie Allies start in the west advance to exit zone in the east and the opposite for Axis. What it actually does is give the Strat AI a fine balence between attack and defence. It will utilse both strategies with flexibility according to the situation and use any part of the map. It even withdraws in a hot spot to a better position. Actual exiting by the AI hardly ever happens, and there is no need for you to exit if you are concentrating on defeating the enemy. The exit zones are there not there as an objective but as a modification to the behavior of the AI.

These 3 steps may seem a bit strange but try designing a senario useing them all. Even an experienced CM player can actully be given a real challenge and be beaten by the AI without it having superior weight of numbers! I use forces of approximatly equal point strength all the time and the AI really gives as good as it gets. I have had some excellent battles and lost a number of times, drawn most times, won sometime. Not only does it feel more realistic it is a better game for useing these 3 steps.

How is scoring done?

A formula and explanation here.

Also, additional explanation of exit points and killing units.

How to make a good Quick Battle (has many excellent ideas to improve AI behavior)

Tips and Tricks of CM Scenario Design: has several facts about AI behavior

<font color="BB0000"><big>Misc</big></font>

Little Known CM features

</font>

• [ and ] will zoom the camera in and out</font>
  • ctrl-A and ctrl-Z will move the camera angle up and down</font>
  • alt-G provides warning labels for any events like a unit with low ammo or a vehicle elimination</font>
  • If a half squad has an "!" in it's status box, you can get rid of it by rejoining the whole squad and splitting again.
    </font>

When will my copy get here?

"Answer is that normally it takes about 3-5 days for an order to arrive in the US, about 10-15 elsewhere." -Steve

Also says it takes 2-4 times longer during the holiday season. Not to mention that BTS sometimes runs out of stock due to demand. Overseas can be even longer: for example, three weeks for Finland. If you have problems, then email matt@battlefront.com.

Where can I find a list of units with statistics?"go to the Dogs of War website...halfway down the page on the left are links for different catagories of units, just about anything you could want." -Silvio Manuel

Chris' CM Scenarios and Unit Database Charts also has CM statistics (go to bottom of page).

What's the latest patch?That would be v1.12. Be sure to get it here. If you have bought CM during the past few months, it is already updated. There will be no other patches as CM2 is now being worked on.

How can I watch all the movies together?You probably can't. Unless you do PBEM(which saves movie files) you can't save movie files since a saved turn has a different outcome each time. If you do have PBEM files, KMan made a PC utility that works on some computers to play all the files.

What books do you recommend for WWII weapons and armor?

Thanks to all who post answers to questions so I can just post a link to it, the CM webmasters, and of course, the FAQ bumpers, who have fancy plans, and pants to match.

<small>Feel free to copy, post, and modify it elsewhere (so long as it still has the correct answers). Please email any comments, suggestions, and especially corrections to russellmz@yahoo.com </small>

Originally posted by Germanboy:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE READING ON!!!!!

The only post truly worth reading is the first one. All the other posts are a public service mostly provided by people from the Peng Thread to keep the first post afloat. If you have any moral/legal/tastal/mammal or any other issues with the Peng Thread and its occupants, please refrain from reading on, since even JD Morse will not be able to get damages for you in that case. We will write a harmless story and promise to try very hard to behave and self-police this. Honest.

If you read on, you have been warned, don't come a-crying later.</font>

[ August 17, 2002, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: russellmz ]

from last FAQ

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

find their way out of Mace's bedroom. Can't have them going to the Enquirer, or the Star, or some other pitiful grocery store rag that would explode the story of Mace's debauchery with sheep, using headlines like...<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by russellmz:

"...HAS BEEN ACCUSED OF..."<hr></blockquote>

"being tardey with bumping up the FAQ to it's proper place!

Thas was equal to Russelmz's over use of capitilised letters, a crime that carried the penalty of"...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord General MB:

I was surpirsed to find that the onwers of the house were....<hr></blockquote>

...fondling small hairless rodents dressed in go-go boots. Of course, this was merely a diversionary tactic, as three crack platoons of beached manatees descended upon the hovel, dug in, and prepared to face the onslaught of über Bren tripods. Further research has shown that...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

...fondling small hairless rodents dressed in go-go boots. Of course, this was merely a diversionary tactic, as three crack platoons of beached manatees descended upon the hovel, dug in, and prepared to face the onslaught of über Bren tripods. Further research has shown that...<hr></blockquote>

...using tripods as weapon, even bren ones, is not as effective as using the actual bren machine gun. but nonetheless the manatees...

...but nonetheless the manatees...<hr></blockquote>

...were attired in their finest tanwater splinter camo smocks, scanning the horizon for any sign of the Herman's Hermits Reunion Tour. Not even 200 meters up the road, a recon battalion of paraplegic beatniks with bobsled mounted quad .50 cals silently prepared to swoop down upon our unsuspecting heroes and lay waste to...

[Edited by FSTK: because of the damn paint fumes]

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]</p>

Soldiers,

...Richard the 3rds castle. Luckily the casatle was well defended by our hero's, the crack manatee platoon. The platoon commander turned to his comrades, and shouted a cheering moral boosting cry, "Bring on your betniks! Bring on your bobsleds! You shall not claim this tower!" Cheers errupted from the castle, as .50 cal bullets began to pelt the stone massonary. The betniks...

The betniks...<hr></blockquote>

...called up a special forces unit (the 1st girl guides) to lead the attack.

The girl guides were veterans, their door-to-door cookie selling techniques honed to a fine art after years of action.

Was the Manitee platoon concerned? The answer to that was.......

...huge...<hr></blockquote>

...jar of roasted habañero peppers, sprinkled some on his nachos and then threw the rest of the fiery condiment at the approaching "girl guides™", who promptly went from "ok" to "routed"

in under 3 seconds, and ran off the nearest map edge. Charles then stated he had no interest in depicting the girl guides TO&E in future versions of CM. At precisely this moment, one of the Manatee's NCOs pointed at the approaching bobsleds and screamed...

...jar of roasted habañero peppers, sprinkled some on his nachos and then threw the rest of the fiery condiment at the approaching "girl guides™", who promptly went from "ok" to "routed"

in under 3 seconds, and ran off the nearest map edge. Charles then stated he had no interest in depicting the girl guides TO&E in future versions of CM. At precisely this moment, one of the Manatee's NCOs pointed at the approaching bobsleds and screamed...<hr></blockquote>

..."jagd-bobsleds!" yes, with a snow rider mark V hull, an enclosed superstructure with 2mm thick 99% quality plywood armor plating, and the infra-red thermal scopres, the jagd-bobsleds opened fire with...

Sir,

...Nacho seeking quad .50 cal Niecho guns. Charles, nowing that the plywood on the hull offered about as much protection as a bloody sherman M4, simply hurled his nacho's in the general direction of the sleds. Massive explosions rocked the castle, as the bodsleds exploded in a ball of flame. White letters appeaered above the bobsleds, reading:

"Front upper sled penetration. Knocked out."

As charles completed his happy dance, the thrown room door exploded, and in walked.....

...and in walked...<hr></blockquote>

...an obese janitor, loudly eating cheez-ee puffs and brandishing a book on Ugandan armor doctrine while whistling the theme to "Diff'rent Strokes". He took one look at the point squad of manatee shock troops and exclaimed into his radio, "The last thing I'm gonna engage without proper air support is a platoon of portly water mammals dug in with high ground and the remastered Neil Diamond box set." Strains of "Cracklin' Rosie' were heard as blood curdling screams drowned out the high pitched...

...an obese janitor, loudly eating cheez-ee puffs and brandishing a book on Ugandan armor doctrine while whistling the theme to "Diff'rent Strokes". He took one look at the point squad of manatee shock troops and exclaimed into his radio, "The last thing I'm gonna engage without proper air support is a platoon of portly water mammals dug in with high ground and the remastered Neil Diamond box set." Strains of "Cracklin' Rosie' were heard as blood curdling screams drowned out the high pitched...<hr></blockquote>

...girlish squeals of charles, as he berated steve "nacho nacho man" g, the cook of the cheese nachos.

CHARLES: these nachos blow chunks and bobsleds!

STEVE: wait till you get a look at my great souflee...

CHARLES: no one cares how beautiful the soufflee is if the appetizer is turds in a blanket!!!!

steve of course immediately...

...jumped into his, "Sleduka," and...<hr></blockquote>

...swooped over to the nearest Public Television station and started a syndicated cooking show utilizing only Russian field rations. Meanwhile, back at the castle, one of the manatee platoon leaders began hurling bags of deep fried pork rinds at the routing beatniks, who promptly...

Soldiers,

.... Rallied, and began a clever flanking move, inforce. Steve, and his manatee comrades, thoguht it better to sallyforth and attack, then sit and defend. As they lowered the drawbridge, there was sundenlly a crackling scream, "Ohno a witch!" thought Steve, and sure enough, into the castle swooped Matt, ridding his magic broom stick. He turned to Steve and cackled, "....