Allied AI Mod

Thank-you Timskorn! This is a great mod, really nice to see some better efforts by the Allies.

I kept the brits bottled up in Egypt and fended the US off N Africa (sunk a US transport off the african coast and they never came back), something worked though because shortly after I got a US/UK joint D-Day landing (!), 8+ units and HQ's loaded up ready to land... not bad at all :D

can't wait for the next version.

Thanks guys, and I appreciate you playing it and giving what feedback you can about your experience. Each playthrough will be different because of how the game uses a % system, so it's nice to hear as many different perspectives as possible.

If all goes well, I should have the next version available by this weekend. I've implemented almost all the changes already, the long part is playtesting it as much as possible and making sure everything works out as intended. I should be able to get up by Friday again. smile.gif

Looks like I won't have the next version ready by this weekend. It takes awhile to test all the changes, which has been the biggest time sink. It should definitely be ready next week sometime however.

I figured out a good way to set the Russian AI defense to form their lines far back from the Germany border BEFORE war breaks out. One of the current issues is the AI's tendency to place their units so close to the border, even in my mod. After war breaks out they do op-move some of them, but others remain, simply being experience boosting road-bumps for the Germans.

A couple big problems I can't overcome though, which must wait for the patch. The fact the AI places HQ's in harms way, and rarely upgrades units puts the AI at a huge disadvantage no matter what scripts are used. I have found though, that the longer units sit idle (and not needed for combat) the more likely they'll get upgraded. Russia can be seen upgrading units before war breaks out, but after war is declared it rarely happens as most of their units are being moved or are near combat areas. I always see the US upgrading their troops however as they sit still for a good 1-2 years. Anyway, an issue best left solved with a patch. smile.gif

It's been fun though, despite some of the limitations, and I can't wait for the patch so I can dive back in and script the AI to totally dominate people. ;)

Thanks Lars. Yep, fixed the popup issue.

I've been playing as the Axis over and over and over again testing so I decided to do some quick touch-ups on the Axis AI and play as the Allies to better get a sense of how I should script them. I definitely realized a few things, like Russia's inability to form a proper defensive line any farther out than Moscow/Voronezh. I initially tried it from Smolensk to Kiev, but they simply don't have the manpower. I'm hoping a farther back line will not only stretch Axis supply and deny them lots of experience, but give them more time to tech up.

Anyway, the initial Axis AI I've touched up works well. They invade Denmark, have more units for Barbarossa and Italy sends more units to Tobruk. I'd like to add possible Sealion script, Norway invasion script and German units to North Africa script...but, Allied AI is still priority.

US North Africa invasion I'm probably going to scrap for now, it's just a waste of US men and resources without the ability to directly land at Algiers on the same turn as the DoW.

Good news guys is that the AI routines (I did find quite a few bugs) are working very nicely and this will have an overall effect on scripting as some of the Garrison and Amphibious/Sea Transport are now working properly as well.

Tim, first patch includes the proper handling of Amphibious transports in that the AI will automatically DoW whenever more than 50% of the Amphibious transports are within their ideal unloading coastal tile so this should help with the US Vichy France invasion scripts.

Good news there.

Timskorn, yeah I was wondering what the heck the US was doing down there with a DOW and no immediate invasion. US is just sending corps up to Algiers one at a time, where even the Vichy can handle them. Needs to move a HQ up there.

Also had a Brit D-Day around Brest.

All and all a great mod though. I'm having real fun tackling the USSR. It's been back and forth.

HC, thanks for the update! Can't wait to start editing with the new fixes. I'll probably start fresh with the AI mod depending on the amount of scripting you've done for it already. May not have left much work for me to do. smile.gif

Lars: Yep, for the Allied AI to give an Axis player a good challenge, it all hinges on Russia so I'm glad to hear they're giving people a better challenge.

Hello,

I have played your mod which shows a more agressive IA which is great. I defeated the USSR with more difficulties in sept 1943, following a quick success against Benelux and France. My advice :

when playing a defensive strategy, the IA often weakened its position. IA Units entrenched in cities or located in other places with defensive advantages, attacked my adjacent units, which resulted in their weakening. In this kind of situation, IA should avoid to attack, and wait until it has gathered a strenght of at least 3:1 in its favor !

I agree Youri. This is individual unit AI though, which only HC has control over. I've noticed this too, when Russian units are behind a river during the winter AND outnumbered (or outgunned), they'll still attack piecemeal over the river at whatever unit is there when they should just sit tight and let the attacker suffer the attacking penalties.