Unable to install on Gentoo

=JpS=SgtRock

Hi, all. I'm having trouble even getting the install to run. Tjis is an AMD64 X2 box with an Nvidia 7900GT and 2 GB of RAM. I've certainly have enough horses to run the game.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? What other info would be useful to help troubleshoot this problem?

tesla DropTeamMPDemo # uname -a

Linux tesla 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 #5 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 22 22:47:22 CDT 2006 x86_64 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ GNU/Linux

tesla DropTeamMPDemo # emerge search aalib

*** Deprecated use of action 'search', use '--search' instead

Searching...

[ Results for search key : aalib ]

[ Applications found : 1 ]

* media-libs/aalib

Latest version available: 1.4_rc5

Latest version installed: 1.4_rc5

Size of files: 381 kB

Homepage: http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/aalib/

Description: A ASCII-Graphics Library

License: GPL-2

tesla DropTeamMPDemo # linux32 ./runLinuxInstall

./InstallData/bin/LinuxInstall: error while loading shared libraries: libaa.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

tesla DropTeamMPDemo #./runLinuxInstall

./InstallData/bin/LinuxInstall: error while loading shared libraries: libaa.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

tesla DropTeamMPDemo #

tesla DropTeamMPDemo # updatedb

tesla DropTeamMPDemo # slocate libaa

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/libaal-1.0.4.ebuild

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/libaal-1.0.5.ebuild

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/metadata.xml

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/ChangeLog

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/files

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/files/digest-libaal-1.0.5

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/files/digest-libaal-1.0.4

/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal/Manifest

/usr/portage/metadata/cache/sys-libs/libaal-1.0.5

/usr/portage/metadata/cache/sys-libs/libaal-1.0.4

/usr/lib64/libaa.so.1.0.4

/usr/lib64/libaa.so.1

/usr/lib64/libaa.so

/usr/lib64/libaa.la

/usr/lib64/libaa.a

/var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal-1.0.5

/var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage/sys-libs/libaal-1.0.4

I used the suggestion to DL libaa.so.1 and manually place it in the correct subdirectory. That worked to complete the install. I also needed copy in libslang.utf.8 on a P4 Gentoo box. After that, the game ran fine on both PCs.

I would suggest that the demo be updated. At minimum, the install script and the startup script should warn when these two libraries cannot be found, and supply enough information to allow someone to pull down the files and place them correctly in order to be able to play. At best, the process should prompt for automatic, behind the scenes downloading. It would go a long way toward making the install process a lot more friendly.

With that said, first impressions of the game are definitely favorable. The graphics are dated, but the gameplay itself is outstanding. The deformable terrain is a gratifying touch, which to some extent makes up for the lack of detail otherwise. I'll probably be buying the full game, if my question about the use of my nick can be answered.

I did. The game graphics (in the demo, at least) remind me of a cross between UT2004 and Tribes 2. Not bad, but not exactly top of the line. The capture point itself is more than a little bland.

However, the fully deformable terrain goes a long, LONG way toward making up for the lack otherwise. As I said earlier, I'm seriously considering buying the game. I'm about 80% certain at this point that I will.

I bought it the other day...

Have not regretted it one second. My only gripe is that there are a little to few players online in my TZ. However once people realize that this is the best thing that has happened to computer gaming in the last two years the numbers will increase.

The gameplay was described by the game site "Out of eight" as "Feels like war" and that is right on the money, Even if its Sci/Fi it feels realistic. I hope that the Drop Team Developers stick to this realism even in future updates.

The game has much teamplay potential and the detailed terrain (Best terrain ever in any wargame I have played) opens up for REAL tactics. Hull down and moving behind ridges to outflank the heavier tanks is very thrilling to say the least. The built in Voice IP also have massive potential.

One of the better games I have ever laid hands on.

.w