Test: some tweaked settings

poesel

I've played around a bit with some server settings and set up a server for public testing. Its the aptly named: 'dontjoin_testing'. Its CTF without deploy time

- the 120mm Thor and Apollo have a slightly increased acceleration (3->5, 4->7)

- the 76mm Paladin is now a twin shot (watch your ammo!) (btw: I had a twin shot 120mm too - _that_ was a killer! smile.gif

- the 20mm Paladin and the Shrike now handle much better. Some kind of F1 feeling although it does show more with the Shrike than the Paladin (lowered the center of mass)

- the recoil factor of the Hurricane is more than doubled. Go watch yourself but remember: 'x' is for landing the thing... (I've raised the availabilty of the Hurricanes to 10 so you have enough to test)

I tried to make a 76mm Tempest but only managed to crash the server. Can't wait for the manual. But XML configfiles are really nice!

Please tell me what you think. I'm also open for other suggestions.

Nice! Throw in some more bots so there's more to shoot at :D

The recoil on the Hurri was really vicious! Instant flip-over if your not careful! No more high-speed drive-bys!

And the "twin 76" was fun. But it lacks the "feeling" of two shots. Then again, there has been similar ammo for small arms (two projectiles, one cartridge).

It might be my imagination, but the vehicles -e specially the Shrike - felt like they were skidding more. And the Shrike didn´t jump like I'm used to. But it's hard to tell. If you hadn't announced that the Shrike was modified, I probably wouldn't had noticed anything.

Another thing: at the end of the scenarios I got "server not responding" for a couple of seconds, after that the score screen was shown and everything was normal. I haven't seen that on any other server.

More bots - done.

You can shoot while driving - but only in the direction of the bow (or close to it) and at higher speeds.

The Twin:

1) I don't know how to make a two barreled turret and incorporate it in the game

2) there is no twin shot in the game. Theres only the 20mm which does a triple shot. So the 76mm twin works like the 20mm

Skidding: thats probably true because you will rather skid than just topple over. If you want to compare then test-drive the 20mm Paladin versus the 76mm. The 20mm has the lower center of mass.

About the server: yes, I got some other strangeness there too, but I will wait for 1.0 to see if its still here.

The tweaking has begun!

I also like what you did with the Hurricane - forces it to be used in the role intended.

The twin 76mm is great too. I find it frustrating to be outgunned by the 20mm triple shot, and avoid the 76mm for this reason. The twin turret makes this vehicles component killing capability far more attractive.

Moon said in another thread that this game will be modders heaven - and he's right!

This is really great. Just copy a few (ok, 999 smile.gif lines and you have a new unit.

I found out how to create a 76mm Tempest (which will be named 'Ariel' as soon as I find out how to change things in the Inventory.xml)! Currently you will need to exchange the file 'Tempest.physicalobjectgroup' in the data/ directory with the file:

http://www.johalla.de/~markus/tempest76

Backup the original!

If you use the original file the client will crash. I assume that in the future that will be done through mods but I currently do not know how to do that.

The Ariel is a single shot 76mm with a small recoil factor. The Paladin has no recoil but I thought it would look good. smile.gif

About multiple turrets: we currently have no unit with two 'manual' weapon systems so theres no way to switch between the weapons. But thers still the OGRE to come so maybe we can use that.

What probably can be done is to plant the Hermes AA and jammer on other vehicles.

I think the sound is what makes the twin 76 seem strange. The 20 mm gun fire 3 round bursts, with the sound of three shots. But I guess that's moddable as well.

Did you activate collision damage on the server? I hit a rock at speed and got damage.

All that stuff is moddable on the server, right? You just use a plain vanilla client?

I think all sounds are configurable. For example:

-ShootSound-MediumCannon.wav-/ShootSound-

(replace minus with smaller/greater sign - the forum deletes it...)

is the line for the 76mm. Make a new wav-file and point the configuration to it. Thats probably all.

Collision damage ist activated.

There is a 'mod' directory and I think that you can put everything you have changed for the mod in that place. If a client gets that from the server or if you have to do a seperate install - ???

Ask me next week when I have the manual. smile.gif

I had to change the standard client to create that new vehicle but I think (hope) this wont be necessary in the future.

If you make your own folders and things for the mod you can just select it from the dropdown, but be sure it's compatible with whatever server you're joining. Modding the normal base files is just a hassle and I don't recommend it. Things like alternate turrets for the tempest and other visual stuff like that will need the client to be aware of it, so they will need your mod.

About multiple turrets: we currently have no unit with two 'manual' weapon systems so theres no way to switch between the weapons.
We do, however, have an ammo type switch key, I wonder if that could be used.

Poesel, here's a quick summary of how to create an actual mod from an earlier forum topic. Use this so you don't need to mess around with your base files (and also so people can see that your server is running a mod and/or install the mod on their client without messing up any of *their* base files):

Drusus, the "polite" way to do this is to run a Mod on your server so that the public can plainly see that something's different. Here's a brief summary of how to do that.

Create a new directory under the "Mods" directory. Name this directory with the name of your mod (e.g. "Lethal"). Create another subdirectory beneath your mod directory called "data". Put a file called Description.txt in there with a description of your mod. When you run your server with this mod using the mod command line argument, any data files in this new data directory will override those in the base data directory. For example, if you want to make a more lethal 120mm AP round, then you could copy 120mmAP.physicalobjectgroup from the base \data directory into your mod's \data directory then modify values within the file. Now when your server runs under the "Lethal" mod, this new 120mm AP round will be used instead of the base one. If you have questions on this then feel free to email. It's probably terribly boring for everyone else!

On the client side, you can now go to the "Mods" tab and select your new mod to make the client use the mod.

The 20 mm gun fire 3 round bursts, with the sound of three shots. But I guess that's moddable as well.
Actually the 20mm fires 15 round bursts. Every third round is a visible tracer, but all 15 shots do individual damage to their targets. The number of rounds and the sound(s) for firing can be changed in the XML.

Ask me next week when I have the manual.
The manual doesn't contain much information on this stuff, because we could never keep it up to date with changes in the core engine until the very last minute. So we decided, instead, to put all of the documentation for modding on the DropTeam website so it can be kept completely current. This online documentation will be available to you very soon.

[ May 25, 2006, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: ClaytoniousRex ]

Err? I see 3 rounds "per shot" in the XML, plus the counter goes down by three, you only get 3 hit effects, ect. (on that note, the max ammocount should probably be a multiple of 3)

...the only thing I see 15 of is the muzzleflash repeats.

Edit: Every 3rd round would mean 5 tracers, no?

Odd way to do it - does this mean you've got 3 wads of 5 bullets each, with each "wad" hitting in roughly the same spot (relative to other "wads")? I don't know if there's any time spacing between them - it strikes me as a 3 round shotgun instead of a stream.

Also, 20mm HE does not have that burstsize.

Every 3rd round would mean 5 tracers, no?
You're right. I should have said every fifth round (the burst size).

Yes, it's 3 wads of 5 bullets each. Each wad impacts at the same time, so the individual rounds in each burst are simplified a little bit. But their damage modelling is entirely individual.

In defense of the developer, I can think of a vast number of plausible reasons why the 20mm would fire in 5 round bursts. Packing the rounds in sealed clips and not melting the barrel are just the first two that come to mind. If you figure one tracer per clip it makes at least as much sense as the rest of the back story.

Thanks Clay - I now have a real mod. Its called Retro and the basic idea is from someone here on the forum.

Here is the description:

>

No Ion, no Hovercrafts - just Track and Wheeled. To get an even more WWII feeling, alle vehicles are equipped with sensor jammers. So watch out! smile.gif

Other changes: Apollo and Thor have a slightly better acceleration, all wheeled

vehicles have a slightly lower center of mass. The Hermes is a bit faster because now everyone has a jammer. The Viper is more agile and also has a lower center of mass.

<

You can get the files from:

http://www.johalla.de/~markus/Mods/Retro01.zip

Unpack in the Mod/ directory.

Have fun!

I've tried it. Very hard when everyone is jammed all the time.

Poesel71's server stopped responding, and I joined another (Arpinium). But the mod was still in use (although Arp. use "Base") so I couldn't get any hovercraft. I don't know if I was jammed and had the other mdofications from Poesel71's mod.

But if the server has a mod (or Base), the clients should have it as well. I guess there will be all sorts of strange errors or unexpected behaviour if there is a mismatch between server mod and client mod.

Ehm i am maybe really stupid but how i can use this?

I just cant start a game or gameserver. Always when i try to use "standalone" it will write something like a game is only a demo and can be runned only online. How i can start server or something with my settings?