0.9.91 Release...

ClaytoniousRex

...is now available via Update. On Windows, use Start/Programs/Battlefront/DropTeam Public Test/Game Updater to get it. On Mac OS X, double click on the Update icon in /Applications. On Linux, use the runUpdate.sh script.

This release fixes a frequent crash that was introduced in 0.9.90.

I'm afraid I have found some bugs. All seem input related.

- when trying to select a vehicle I could only move the select bar up and down but not press a button. I had to kill the XServer to get out of the game

- I dropped a cutter but was not transfered 'into' it. It was on the map but neither could I control it nor extract or kill myself. Had to disconnect.

- as command vehicle I couldn't order an air strike. The 'F' was there, it asked me to click somewhere but neither clicking on the 3D view or on the tactical map yielded a result

Edit:

I've played now 2 days without ever experiencing anything of what I mentioned above again.

[ May 15, 2006, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

On Linux I have observed that I always get a small tip rectangle stuck, it doesn't go away when it should and as a matter of fact remains there even after closing the program (need to restart X to make it go away).

It is a small rectangle that says something along the lines of "Chagos: 02:05:25, 16/5/2006". The clock continues to tick even after program termination.

My setup: suse 10.1 with nvidia gf 6800 gt (latest nvidia drivers).

Suse 10.1 (gold master) means kde 3.5.1a, XOrg 6.9.0, kernel 2.6.16.

Love the little game, already preordered.

Quick addition to my own message..

It's not a tip from DropTeam, it's a tip from a kde applet that is on the desktop and gets activated when the mouse reach the leftmost part of the screen.

I don't know if you want to look into this, for the time being I'll just shut down the applet (doable but somewhat annoying).

Which applet is it, Max? Maybe we can reproduce it here.

Incidentally, I achieved a noticeable increase in performance in DropTeam when I created an X session just for the game - no Gnome, no KDE, not even a thin window manager - *just* DropTeam and nothing else. On average it ran ~20fps faster than the same machine on Windows XP. Gotta love the choice that Linux gives you...

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Which applet is it, Max? Maybe we can reproduce it here.

Incidentally, I achieved a noticeable increase in performance in DropTeam when I created an X session just for the game - no Gnome, no KDE, not even a thin window manager - *just* DropTeam and nothing else. On average it ran ~20fps faster than the same machine on Windows XP. Gotta love the choice that Linux gives you...

Yeah ain't that great. :D

I have cpu cycles and ram to spare however so I'd rather play it under a resource hog like kde.

The applet is "global clock" from kde 3.5.1, when put into an external (lateral, auto-hidden) panel.

It seems like you're not grabbing the mouse (don't kow if it's possible) and therefore the underlying window manager still intercepts events.

I have found in the meantime a better workaround: minimizing the whole external panel.

Had a blast tonight playing the demo with other humans, waiting for my copy to download & ship. :D

I'll add the bugs I've experienced (I've not played much prior to 0.9.91 though so these may be long standing issues)

Bug 1: The Dropship sometimes flips the Mercury CMD over backwards immediately on drop off, causing immense annoyance...

Bug 2: Trees don't have shadows (everything else does)

Bug 3: Choose an indirect support vehicle. Start firing using the mini-map. Request retrieval while the mini-map is still up and leave the mini-map up while being collected. Drop a new indirect support vehicle and bring up the mini-map and discover that you can't fire. Switch the mini-map off and select a target in the line of sight and you can fire again. Firing via the minimap then works.

I don't think that the tree shadow has to accurately represent every leaf. A darker area under each tree at an appropiate point for the sun would help the current visuals a lot. I know that these shadows would then need to be adjusted if someone dropped a few trees with a Hurricane :)

As cool breeze points out, some shadow is better than no shadow.

My server crashed after around 6 hours of operation.

This is from the nohup.out:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

SpaceVikings: ../PThreadCondition.c++:110: virtual OpenThreads::Condition::~Condition(): Assertion `status == 0' failed.

./runServer_Retro01.sh: line 4: 26544 Aborted LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib ./SpaceVikings -enterlobby false -hostmode server -lobbyname DeDo -difficulty 0 -numbots0 6 -numbots1 6 -maxclients 12 -uselos true -collisiondamage true -password xxx -dynamicbots true -mod Retro01 -gametype CTF

The last lines from the Dropteam.log:

[..]

PROJECTILE: Modifier = 0.734118

PROJECTILE: Final penetration = 183.53

PROJECTILE: Penetrated facing 0 with pen = 183.53

PROJECTILE: Time = 1033.8

REQUESTDROPMSG: Drop request from acct id 16

That happened 3 minutes after user 'Tycho117' connected.

In those 6 hours two persons connected but I have only one GET for the Modfiles in the apache log. So probably Tycho117 didn't have the mod.

Btw: where are the local IDs stored?

Ok, tried and tested again. Now it crashed while I was online and I think this time it was 'overhead'.

Overhead, did you have the modfiles at that time?

Dropteam.log:

[..]

SERVER: 30.303 frames per second

SERVER: Elapsed time = 1429.18

FLAG: Reasonable location = 1

REQUESTDROPMSG: Drop request from acct id 19

I'm guessing: he tried to drop a Hurricane but this mod has no hovercrafts.

I won't start the server again until this is resolved. I know this is 0.9.91 so I'll patiently wait. smile.gif