ATGMs

zephyr817

I've noticed that ATGMs have some pretty erratic behavior. Sometimes, when a rising dropship is targeted, they'll go in circles around the dropship until it disappears, without hitting its target. Also, several times an ATGM has been fired at me while i'm in a Hurricane. If I'm moving at full speed, the ATGM goes in circles around me for a while, then finally crashing into the ground. Thoughts?

ATGMs can be confused by sensor jammers. Maybe that's the explanation for the first case? I observed similar behavior when using jammers.

As for hitting a Hurri at full speed: if the missile is fired in "fire and forget" mode, the missile will attept to rise just before impact and hit the target from above. Maybe the missiles have trouble doing this on fast-moving targets.

The bots fly these things like sociopaths. The erratic behavior usually results from someone having trouble tracking the target - the missile (in yellow lock - You can use this to fly missiles in wide arcs to attack side or rear armor of targets, no matter what thier current facing.) always goes for where the crosshair lands, so while tracking a moving target can be the target, what's behind it, and the target again in short order, making the missile go nuts.

Although, yes, sometimes the missile just orbits the target if it misses it narrowly.