The "counter battery computer"

yurch

At least, this is what the physobject files call it. For those who don't know, the command and mortar vehicles have a subsystem that flashes a diamond on the ground-view and spacebar map of the location of a shot origination. On the ground view, it also shows the distance to target.

This is incredibly useful information.

Given that though, the game doesn't seem to treat it as such. The diamond stays on screen barely long enough for you to read the distance, and if you were facing some other way, too bad. I also have not witnessed this information showing up on the minimap, but it is cluttered enough.

This data admittedly becomes less useful as time passes, but it is it possible for the diamond to stay on screen/fade out for a bit longer timeframe? For combat vehicles I would be worried about screen overclutter, but it might be okay for command/mortar units.

Has anyone else used this feature?

I noticed it in the mortars in particular. Maybe how long it stays on the screen should be a configurable option, since I'm sure everyone is going to have a different idea of how long it should be there for.

I'm sure that in a mortar-heavy battle that information could be crucial.

Perhaps something better (or wider?) than that very opaque diamond can be used. It is a big problem for visibility when you're looking at something that's firing very rapidly, as now there's several overlapping icons and numbers.