Dropteam fails on 2 of my 3 pc's. Ideas?

pilgrim

Dropteam has been successful on only one of my pc's so far. Here's the one that works:

P4, 2.6 GHz

Win XP Pro

1.5 GB RAM

GeForce 4MX440

Failure #1

Athlon XP 1800

Win XP Home

1 GB RAM

ATI Radeon 8500

Cat 6.4

---> Cannot launch either Dropteam.exe or Update.exe. Both fail with an "Access violation..." message. I don't have the details because I can't get to the pc right now.

Failure #2 (Edit: Dropteam now runs on this one.)

Athlon XP 2200

Win XP Home

1 GB Ram

ATI Radeon 9600

Cat 6.4

--> Update.exe ran sucessfully. Dropteam.exe failed under old video drivers. I updated, and then it gave an "OpenGL..." warning, I clicked "Yes", and it failed after a blackscreen.

Comments? Suggestions?

[ April 18, 2006, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: pilgrim ]

Well, some success. Last night on the second box, I...

1. Updated every single motherboard driver I could find.

2. Re-installed DirectX 9.0c.

Magically, DropTeam now works.

However, I'm still stuck at the failure mode on the first one. It's a different error, since not even Update.exe will run successfully, and I'm not sure what to try.

#1.

Ok here's the Windows error when I execute DropTeam.exe:

"DropTeam.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d). Click on OK to terminate the application."

#2.

This is the error for Update.Exe. It occurs a second or two after the Update screen appears and shows "Checking platform Win32 files...".

"Update.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience... <more test about sending a report to Microsoft.>"

#3.

And here is DropTeam.log:

"MAIN: Version = 0.9.40

MAIN: Screen is 4 bytes per pixel

MAIN: ACCUM RED = 0

MAIN: ACCUM ALPHA = 0

MAIN: GL VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.

MAIN: GL VERSION: 2.0.5646 WinXP Release

MAIN: GL EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_S3_s3tc GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_element_array GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_map_object_buffer GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATI_vertex_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_attrib_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_streams GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATIX_texture_env_route GL_ATIX_vertex_shader_output_point_size GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_shader GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control

SOUNDMANAGER: Available devices are:

SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [DF00]

Generic Hardware

Generic Software

Device SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [DF00] is version 1.0

Device Generic Hardware is version 1.1

Device Generic Software is version 1.1

SOUNDMANAGER: Using device Generic Hardware

SOUNDMANAGER: Using default capture device SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [DF00]

SOUNDMANAGER: Playing DropTeam.ogg as ..\data/sound\DropTeam.ogg

SOUND MANAGER: Allocated 32 voices

CAMPAIGNINPROGRESS: Loading ..\data/Campaigns.progress

MAIN: Quitting normally"

BTW, all 3 pc's are at Service Pack 2.

And, if it helps...

The first successful machine was running with no firewall (using a network firewall, instead).

The second machine -- the one that keeps failing, is using ZoneAlarm.

The third machine -- the update everything in sight and reboot twenty times -- was using XP's embedded firewall.

This sounds like the same problem Kirill S. was having: see this thread.

Want to try this potential fix on that troublesome machine? This is a way to restore ACL's for all system DLL's. At a command prompt you would do:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R</pre>

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

This sounds like the same problem Kirill S. was having: see this thread.

Want to try this potential fix on that troublesome machine? This is a way to restore ACL's for all system DLL's. At a command prompt you would do:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R</pre>

Only do this if you're an expert user (sounds like you are) - it is only one potential fix based on a Microsoft Knowledge Base search.

Sorry for the wait...

Also, is the Client for Microsoft Networks installed? (You can look under you Local Area Connection properties in "Network Connections" in the Control Panel to see if it's there).

Yes, it's installed.

Pilgrim, of all of the DLL's that are in the root and in the bin/ subdirectory of DropTeam, are any of those also in your system path somewhere, such as in \Windows\system32 or in some other product's directory that has been added to your path? If so, which ones?
msvcp71.dll

--> \windows\system32

--> \Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE

msvcr70.dll

--> \windows\system32

msvcr71.dll

--> \windows\system32

dbghelp.dll

--> \windows\system32

mfc71.dll

Surely there's another zlib.dll, SDL.dll, and/or Demeter.dll out there somewhere?

Yes, but I thought you asked only for those in the system path? :confused:

Many/most of the dll's had duplicates in other directories, but my path is only the following:

\windows

\windows\system32

\windows\system32\wbem

\program files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE

Yes, that's what I was asking for. If you're willing, here's a more definitive way to find the problem:

Download and install this tool:

Dep Walker

This is a utility that lists the DLL's that an .exe will load when it is launched.

Run the depends.exe program in that tool. A window will open with a blank work area. Drag your DropTeam.exe from your DropTeam/bin directory into this blank workspace. (Not the one in the root of DropTeam, but the one in the /bin subdirectory).

It should now look something like this:

Step1.jpg

Select DropTeam.exe at the top of the tree on the left (just by single left clicking it one time to make it highlighted) and then press F9. This will turn on full paths for all DLL's in the tree. So now it should look something like this (but your paths will be different):

Step2.jpg

Finally, select File/Save as from the main menu and save as a text file (just plain .txt in the list of file types) and then email that file to me. Hopefully this will identify the problem!