Jammed enemy turrets visible during deployment phase

Kurtz

During the attacker's deployment phase, it's possible to see the defender's jammers and turrets inside jammer cover. They are visible in the 3D, but not on the minimap or Tactical Display. This has the effect that you can scout the terrain before a drop.

During the game, they are of course visible. But they are visible, even if no friendly units have LOS to them. This can be used for scouting drop zones during the game.

Since enemy vehicles are "invisible" until spotted, I think turrets and jammers should be as well. You can't look at the terrain and see enemy vehicles.

Unjammed turrets are visible in 3D and on minimap and Tac Display.

It will be used that way.

I don't know if it's a bug or feature that the turrets and jammer are visible, personally I think they should be invisible until you have LOS, just as enemy vehicles are (even unjammed vehicles are invisible).

This is actually needed at the moment. Way too easy to spam the map (esp. the Ice map) with AA turret / sensor jammer combos. Not long ago this once again resulted in our team losing all 120mm Thors. The bots want to drop these first -> they drop on jammed turrets -> AA kill -> drop another one. I think the enemy got something like 40+ points in the beginning that time, meaning propably around 20 vehicles (dropships do count, right?). But even if you can see the turrets, you can't pick a safe spot. Actually against a 'skilled' turret spammer seeing the turrets doesn't solve the problem, he can spam virtually the whole map. But it helps a bit the human players.

Yes, it is intentional but, no, it's not desirable.

The reason static objects like turrets and jammers are visible in the planetside view is simply because it's a way to conserve precious network bandwidth. So, yes, we delibertely made them visible but, no, there is really not a good supporting gameplay reason for this. Eventually, our plan is to have the best of both worlds: conserve bandwidth by not needing to dead reckon these objects but ALSO make them invisible when out of LOS. This will require some risky foolishness on the client side which is why we haven't done it yet.