Unit scaling.

yurch

What exactly is the relative size of these units to humans supposed to be? For kicks, I've been trying to match the size of the driver compartment in the subsystem drawings to a few diagrams of actual tanks...

The result: you can almost fit an abrams inside the thor turret. At least the way I figure it.

Either the component scaling is way off or the upcoming infantry are going to be tiny. Can we get some clarifaction on this before I start installing my helipad on top of the thor? ;)

I don't want to stop you from installing that helipad on top of your Thor. This might be especially useful since I've seen you out there wearing burning dropships on top of your vehicle.

All objects are modelled at 2x scale. This means that all of the distance and size values in the .physicalobjectgroup file are 2x larger than their actual size. This is simply a matter of convention for the base game. As a modder, you're perfectly welcome to use literal scale for all of your objects if you like, but in early alpha testing we settled on the 2x scale to make the game an order of magnitude more playable. At literal scale, due to the limitations of consumer graphics displays, the player is usually dealing with distant objects that are only a single (or a few) pixels wide, etc.

Okay. I insisted on a ballistic scale similar to that even for a (realism) infantry mod I used to work on. Wouldn't that mean the infantry compartments retain the same proportion, though? I guess there's a few ways of interpreting that.

Out of curiosity, what is the base FOV of the camera? Can we (players and/or modders) change that?