Can play the Ice Map fine, but the Junction map won't load

Morat

Hi, I've just started testing. Had some good games on the ice map with decent performance and no issues spotted yet - but loading the other map stops at "loading textures 60%" and freezes up my machine. The mouse pointer becomes erratic and I can't regain control. ctrl-alt-delete brings up the windows security screen but I can't load the task manager to end task. Hard power off is the only option :(

System:

Dell Inspiron 9300. P4M 2.2Ghz, 6800 GO 256Mb, 1Gb RAM (533ddr). XP Pro SP2 fully patched.

GFX drivers are dell proprietary ones, unable to update. But they Run EVE just fine...

Morat

I'll bet you $1.15 that the drivers are the problem. You really need the latest drivers from NVidia. When you try to install them on your laptop you probably get a message saying something like "No devices for this driver found" or some such garbage - this is only because NVidia has agreements with laptop vendors to not allow its own drivers to install with the setup program. However, you can install the very latest drivers manually without the setup program. We've had to this on several laptops to get games to play (not just DropTeam).

You can do this at your own risk if you feel comfortable doing it. You should only do it if you know what you're doing. If you're not comfortable manually installing the latest nvidia drivers, then you will need to wait for Dell to release an updated driver for your laptop. I am still waiting for new nvidia drivers for my Dell Inspiron 8100 - it has been 2 years since Dell last updated them.

Manually installing the drivers is simply a matter of pointing to the inf files in the latest nvidia download. If you need help doing this then feel free to ask.

If you want to try a workaround instead of changing your drivers, then you can try turning off Terrain VBO in the settings panel. This might help things on outdated drivers (at the expense of making the game run slower).

[ March 31, 2006, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: ClaytoniousRex ]