Some network related stuff

Netherby

Just a few things I wanted to mention about the game which are network/latency related.. I'm also only playing this on a 1.25 G4 withe basic Radeon 9000, so it's a little under powered and could be exaggerating these effects or even causing some.. I generally ping between 150-250 to the servers.

Joining

When joining a server it seems that the client possibly stores up all the data about the game from the moment it's connected, long before it finishes loading and caching.. Or it gets sent all that data as soon as it finishes.. Because you get hit with a massive lag period as you enter with stacks of messages scrolling up the screen and units all zapping around until it all catches up to "now".. If you join at the start of a round you will see the deployment clock jump a minute or two in time for what it displays as you first enter.. This isn't terrible, but if it could be avoided it would feel much nicer tongue.gif

Smoke

Smoke clouds seem to cause network latency.. I think I can generally tell the difference between an fps hit and network lag, so are these being broadcast from the server or something? Because things like the Fire Mission cause me to lag even when I can't see them (so shouldn't be losing fps trying to render them).

Round Start/Bot Messages

Rounds starting also give me a hugh lag spike, perhaps this is because a whole bunch of bots all deployed simultaneously or the sudden spam of bot voice messages saying they are doing something.. Bot voice messages do actually seem to effect my latency some what, though I suppose I could be mistaken and it just seemed like it..

Hit Prediction

Is really good, it seems TOO good.. Which worries me that it could be all client side and eventually be open to exploitation by naughty people who like to cheat and make other people unhappy instead of play games to enjoy them..

Chat

It doesn't wrap long messages.. So you just see text trailing off the edge of the screen and wonder what they were saying tongue.gif

On the subject of a chat, a history would be nice too, so if you miss something in the heat of battle you can scroll back and see what was said or what killed you etc..

Anyway I think that was all the things I wanted to mention.. Oh yeah also the Drop menu coming up lags me too, shouldn't that be cached and come up pretty smoothly?

Does anyone with faster computers and better graphics cards notice any of these things too?

Drop Team seems to handle latency superbly, HUGE kudos for that. smile.gif Maybe you could mention it in the manual somewhere, about whether or not you need to lead shots for latency or if you can just fire at what you see on your screen. That was one of my big questions coming into the game.

Also, please please please could we have a ping display on the player list? Or at least show my own ping somewhere. Thanks. smile.gif

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Netherby, that all sounds like client-side slow downs. Yes, we're cleaning up the chat interface. And don't worry, hit tests are not done on the client side at all.

It's quite possibly mostly because of my terrible graphics card..

But should I really be getting lagged from Fire/Smoke/EMP missions even when I can't see them?

Depending on the coding used, it is sometimes faster to calculate everything on the map as opposed to writing an algorithm to find out what you should render, which could significantly slow things down. Obviously the more things to render, the more pronounced the effect, so it's really a balancing act.

As there is usually not a whole lot going on in a map, I'm going to wager a guess that DropTeam uses the former method.

If so, this would result in better performance in MOST situations. ;)