Battlefront - Will CMC Be Vista Compatible?

HARI SELDON

Hi Guys,

Add me to the list of new computer buyers with Vista as the o/s (Nvidia 8500 video card, dual core processor blah blah)which runs every application as was on my old XP machine except for the CM series. Result, I've stopped playing. Hari Seldon, I would agree with you 100% as to your read on events. A suggestion for BFC might be to follow Matrix Games' lead who successfully updated the venerable Close Combat and Harpoon series to Vista compatability and have made a success out of it. I would willingly pay for a similar CM update - maybe BFC could tweak the CM3 bmps to allow folks to play the Normandy campaigns as well, but may be that is a step too far. To be frank I don't think BFC has produced a home run since CMx1. Theatre of War seems fatally flawed(no urban warfare ability) and in 2008 folks are not as patient as they were in buying some bug ridden thing and having to wait for MONTHS for it to be made playable. Also I wonder how sales have been going of CM:SF? A hypothetical Middle East setting is not very appealing to me as toe to toe the US military will beat to pulp anyone down there so where is the fun in gaming that? The boards on their other games(Histwar, t-72 etc etc)seem dead as doornobs. Unless BFC have something up their sleeve they are now starting to alienate their core customer base - me, you and all the many folks who have bought and enjoyed the original CM series over the years but now can't because they have upgraded their hardware. I mean, come on BFC.

Cheers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boards on their other games(Histwar, t-72 etc etc)seem dead as doornobs.
Uh... no, the Histwar project is a far cry from this ghost town. The Histwar developer, JMM, posts on the forum regularly. JMM is great. He doesn't promise the moon, but has given us a rough time frame for game release. :D I've been very pleased with the developer/fan communication associated with that project.

This place just seems to gather dust and CMx1 malcontents (yes, like me!). redface.gif

Don't get me wrong - Battlefront are are great bunch but I am very hacked off that due to no fault of my own I cannot now play my CMx1 games.I wonder how many of us are in the same boat ie not as savvy as you, Pushcary. BTW Pushcary, I meant CMBB as well. I think some folks refer to CMBO, CMBB and CMAK as CMx1 collectively and CM:SF (plus others hopefully to come) as CMx2. KA Miles, I am delighted that Histwar is alive and well - my mistake, sorry.

Cheers

If I had a Vista operating system and problems installing/running the CMx1 games, I would start by posting an exact descripition of my system, video card, and drivers and an exact description of the problem I was having to the CMx1 tech forum. And the only answer I would take really, really seriously would come from Schrullenhaft (or another member of BTS management). I would also send an e-mail with similar content to support@battlefront.com. That would probably produce a set of suggestions for the steps I would need to take to fix my problem, even if I wasn't very sophisticated about what to do about things in the first place.

They're really very helpful about suggesting ways to fix this kind of thing. But they will be the first to tell you that way, way, way back when they created the CMx1 engine, there was no way they were going to be able to predict what the fashionable crop of machines, machine parts, and drivers would be eight years later. In the computer hardware and software world that time-frame is an eternity.

I've managed to avoid much heartache by not using Vista, but I'm starting to get the impression that the CMx1 games actually do work on Vista if you have the right combination of drivers and video cards. Again, the hardware and driver changes that occurred since the games were released may be too extreme -- when you're doing a fresh release you harmonzie with as much as possible. But the crew at BTS have probably been bombarded with problem combinations by this point, and if nothing else may be learning the answers by osmosis, even if they didn't originally intend to learn them.

But they can't tell you anything useful if you don't ask them directly, or post your operating system complaints in the wrong place. This particular forum, for example, is probably the worst place to grouse about problems you're having because I seriously doubt that they spend any more time in here than they do in the Peng Challenge Thread. Watching two or three of us practise our traffic analysis skills is not the most effective use of their time (and it's not how I want them to spend their time).

I haven't a clue what they will do about the CMx1 series, but my instinct is that if they ever do anything ever again, it will be for sentimental reasons rather than financial ones.

[ January 30, 2008, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Have to say this, but, only fools would upgrade to Vista at this time or even buy a new computer with it in it. It has so many bugs and flaws it's rediculous. I have no symphathy for anyone who gets Vista on purpose. You've read the horror stories about it so why did you do it? I will not move from XP just like I did not move from WIN98 until it is no longer supported. There is no reason to upgrade from WinXP just because of Directx 10?? haha there's like nothing out there that even uses it that is worth getting or having it yet for. Some people are like the mice in the story of the pied piper they will follow anything because someone else did. lol

Originally posted by Kellysheroes:

Have to say this, but, only fools would upgrade to Vista at this time or even buy a new computer with it in it. It has so many bugs and flaws it's rediculous. I have no symphathy for anyone who gets Vista on purpose. You've read the horror stories about it so why did you do it? I will not move from XP just like I did not move from WIN98 until it is no longer supported. There is no reason to upgrade from WinXP just because of Directx 10?? haha there's like nothing out there that even uses it that is worth getting or having it yet for. Some people are like the mice in the story of the pied piper they will follow anything because someone else did. lol

Welcome back! Your first post in 7 months - how we've missed you. I take it from the content of your post that those months have not been spent on anything remotely intellectual. You seem as dense as ever.

Oh dear!!

I can't even get the bloody game to run properly on XP.

New hardware all installed etc............

I for one am not prepared to take back my new HD3850pro for one game.

oh well maybe we need that update after all.Wish i read this post before buying the game at the weekend :(

Vista sucks, from the design of the box onwards...

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/2e680b8d-211e-41c5-a0bf-9ccc6d7e62a21033.mspx

90% of the customers doesn't know how to open the box properly... without the flying manual 'bug', or the drop DVD issue.

Seriously... try a free virtual machine running XP, if you can't return your Vista crap to the shop.

To develop for Vista is a pain in the ass, and a waste of time for a system that will be bypassed as soon as Windows 7 becomes the official replace.

If you own an XP... stick with it, since ServicePack3 is enougth updated to be valid (and with support) until Windows 7 becomes finished.

Guys, I've played CMBB/CMAK on lots of different setups.

Both games work perfectly with Vista providing you are not using a 8800 and above, on a desktop. I have only recently used Nvidia based cards so I can't speak for ATI. We know that the 8800 works perfectly with XP.

Secondly, both titles work on a Vista laptop, with a 8800 Go - so go figure.

It has to be drivers. Nvidia are at fault here.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems obvious that BTS are in a quandary with CMC 'cause if they kill it there will be an outcry but if it comes out there will be an outcry (about Vista support for CMBB).

So they do nothing: what else can they do?

I reckon you won't see CMC. Those 2000+ posts? It's just people shooting the breeze. How many in this thread alone?

The reason I liked the books so much is the reason they won't be made into a movie. Asimov wrote most scenes as conversations between small groups of people

_boring_ people. The only interesting thing (I read them all, and liked them at the time) was the ideas - the "data" in the conversations. The people were cardboard.

Have you noticed that Azimov's primary charaterisation method for men is to describe how they smoke? ROFL.

GaJ

I haven't been following the CMx2 threads, but I gather that they've got to put out several more games/modules in the CMSF series before they go back to WW II. So that means CMx2 will be stuck in the 21rst century until at least the middle of the next decade. So there's plenty of time in there to produce CMC, at least in theory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

[QB] It seems obvious that BTS are in a quandary with CMC 'cause if they kill it there will be an outcry but if it comes out there will be an outcry (about Vista support for CMBB).

indeed indeed

and it's not just Vista it appears to be the nVidia 8xxx and up Video cards, so...