Battlefront - Will CMC Be Vista Compatible?

HARI SELDON

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vista is not an operating system, isn't it?.

Install a tiny partition with the last Ubuntu linux... CMBB works fine over Wine without any problem (it's just 1-click and install). Some games now run even faster in Ubuntu than in native Windows... CMBB is one of those smile.gif

For CMBB can be said:

Ubuntu 7.10 > Windows XP SP2 > Vista

So, don't worry too much.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

Why make it Vista compatible? Ever hear of Windows ME, Microsoft second biggest mistake? I expect Vista to follow in ME's footsteps shortly, for the same reasons ME was a bust. Vista is singlehandedly making Linix a very viable choice for the up and coming decade. Microsoft survived ME, but still it makes no sense to shoot yourself in the same foot twice, or once in each foot. As for Microsoft being too big for a single mistake to do much damage. Ever hear of Commodore, Atari, Apple, IBM, Radio Shack, etc. They were all big companies (some still are) that took it in the shorts by making that one big, stupid mistake that effectively took them out of personal computer leadership. Maybe Battlefront will make a Commodore 64 version or a Atari version, just it case. NOT!!

Originally posted by HARI SELDON:

Why make it Vista compatible?

For the simple reason that most new pc's come with it and Battlefront wants to maximize their sales.

I live in Europe, and i doesn't know what is your experience... but here the computer shops are plenty of "Vista" computers returned to the shop... to downgrade it to XP in exchange.

The people here installs XP or Ubuntu with new computers... less than 2% of the Vista customers, keeps vista without formating it to downgrade... or installing linux.

Vista has no future at all... shops don't sell Vista here right now, because the stock was returned. Is a pain in the ass for the shops to explain why his main enterprise software doesn't run on Vista... Lots of enterprises has expensive self developed software that doesn't run on Vista.

Wait for Windows 7... and keep with the stable XP, or migrate to a powerful and cheap Linux. You can run more Windows-based software in Linux, than in Vista right now.

hari,

don't expect too much in the way of communication from battlefront, they're a tad busy finding new ways to destroy their brand

should only take about 1 or 2 CMSF's to finish off the job, at which point they'll have the time to get back to you

meanwhile, let's talk about your name, are you that into the foundation series?

and if so, got any idea why no one has ever bothered in 50 years to make the trilogy into movies?

Easytarget:

Thanks for the name recogition. I kind of think I'm older than most on this borard (52). I don't think Foundation is popular these days. I read and reread the original Foundation books all through high school.

The reason I liked the books so much is the reason they won't be made into a movie. Asimov wrote most scenes as conversations between small groups of people, no CGI possibilities.

i guess you're right, still a shame though, i always thought they worked as a series of 3 movies because they had decent endings to each one, so you could sustain each one as a story unto itself

but as you say, there is a lot of dialogue

in that case, my revised wish list for this one would be for BBC or PBS to make it, the job BBC did with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was impressive, and at 9 hours that didn't exactly streak across the screen, lots of dialogue going on, come to think of it, Brideshead Revisited falls under the same category

btw, might as well conclude with a book recommendation for no particular reason, other than I like this book a lot, do a google of Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, if you have any interest in cryptography, computers, history or world war 2, you'll like this one

I read the Foundation series again and again when I was young.

But reread it recently--trying to get my son interested in it. I was not as impressed with it. My understanding is that Asimov usually wrote with his first draft be his only draft, and I think it shows.

Wasn't there a 4th...and 5th book? Don't think they caught on like the first three. I think by the time he wrote the sequels he wanted to put in...romance. I could almost remember my nerdy side going "Yuk". Asimov was supposed to be science (with a thinly discussed recapitulation of the Roman Empire)