O.T. Recomendation for larger scale War Games

markl

Hi,

Since this does not look like coming out any time soon, does anyone have any recommendations for another large scale war game. By large scale I mean bigger than the CM series.

I do not expect anything as realistic either, as long as it is reasonable and not a click fest. RTS or similar will do. I would like to try some thing that has at least land and air. To include sea as well may be too hopeful. Preferably 3D as well. Many game claimed to be 3D but the map could not be rotated so to me these are not really 3D to me.

I am only interested in single player against the PC, and the title would have to have a quick battle generator as well, hopefully at least. Something that models ranged weapons reasonably well would also be nice. Some games that I have seen seemed to have swapped models of people with tanks, as the tanks fight right next to each other. That is one thing I like about the CM series. It models close and ranged weapons fairly well.

I have noticed that some of the older titles like Panzer General, Command & Conquer Generals etc are going quiet cheap now. Are these any good?

I do not know how others feel but after trying CMSF 1 to 1 representation of soldiers is not too good for me. It looks more abstracted with the way they move and are presented now than in the old CM series. Almost comical in some ways.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

cheers MarkL

Have you looked at the re-release of John Tiller's Campaign Series? Not 3D really like what you're after but still looks like an interesting package. And there's a gung-ho developper on it who is adding to it and fixing things in impressive fashion.

[ September 02, 2007, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Peterk ]

Thanks for the recommendation.

Do you know what Matrix Games use for their download installations? Serial number / key or activation?

From looking at their site they have a few older style games that may be worth trying. But after some of the experiences with Flight Simulator addons that require activation I am not keen to go down that path again.

I had not heard of John Tiller's Campaign Series before, but after a bit of web viewing they seem fairly popular. I will finish the night reading a few more reviews.

Cheers MarkL

Hi Mark,

I've only ordered one game via electronic DL so far from them and I believe they sent me an e-mail with a key that I had to enter. I think Campaign Series is shipping with a 300 page printed manual, so might be a good idea to go for the physical delivery.

If you go to the AAR section of their site there's a very, very , very nice Operation Sealion play in progress.

I haven't bought it yet, but I am teetering by the minute. Will almost certainly grab it fairly soon.

markl

I can suggest you the latest TOAW III incarnation, by Matrix also. It's a Norm Koger game from 99-2000, expanded and patched.

Operational scale, very flexible, from battalions to divisions/corps, a powerful editor and hundreds of scenarios. Really looks like a boardgame with counters having NATO symbols and numbers ;)

Matrix uses serial codes only, no online activation/installation check/whatever.

I have been looking at the reviews. Conquest of the Aegean seems to get only good reports. From the Matrix forum it looks like they may be releasing a new game based on that engine. It may be worth waiting for the newer game that may hopefully have a few extras.

John Tillers Campaign series have caught my attention as well and I like the way it is presented. The only thing that worries me about this one is the micro management. From what I have read no orders carry over from one turn to another. So when many units are in a game you get shot up badly when you forget to re-issue a fire order. But this one has so much to offer.

Has anyone one tried this one yet with a big scenario?

The Armchair General has some good reviews and pointed me towards a new game that is getting very good reports. "Making History, the Calm & The Storm". It looks more modern, but sure about the look yet. But it is available for purchase in Sydney shops at least. I will try the demo of this one to see.

If it was not for the elicense I would try a Battlefront Title, but I think I will get a game from either Matrix or another supplier that just uses serial numbers and no CD needed to play. This really appeals to me as the whole copy protection thing is starting to annoy me a little.

I am also starting to lean towards these board game styles now where game play is more important than graphics, and I really the concept of keeping these older titles going.

Cheers MarkL

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Sure it's something special, but way less flexible and without editor/lots of scen.

Are you talking about Conquest of the Aegean? It certainly does have a scenario editor, and a map editor too.

I have been looking at the reviews. Conquest of the Aegean seems to get only good reports. From the Matrix forum it looks like they may be releasing a new game based on that engine. It may be worth waiting for the newer game that may hopefully have a few extras.
Yeah, that's been in the works or a while, but I wouldn't wait. It won't have that many new features, and it could still be quite a wait for Battles from the Bulge.

Bil

I'd happily second any recommendation so far, although I'd add Highway to the Reich as well as CotA. It's a little less refined than the later game, but not much and would be a better choice if you have an interest in 'Market Garden'.

My other pick would be at strategic level (if you are willing to stray a little further from what you originally wanted), Matrix's War in the Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after looking at a lot of reviews including a lot at the armchair general I noticed one of our stores is now stocking some of the so called "Garage Games"

They had Making History The calm & The Storm, Galactic Civilisation II and Space Empires, and a few other I had not heard of before. All games with no copy protection and not needing a CD in to play.

I decided to purchase all three even though they may not have been my first choice and may never play the space games at all. After talking to one of the staff I thought I should support a shop who was game enough to stock games that were not exactly main stream here in Australia.

That was my birthday money gone in a flash. Now before christmas I have to decide on a title from Matrix. It will be either Conquest of the Aegean or John Tillers campaign series, both of which I really want to try. I will probably end up getting both, as they are not that expensive.

I wish BattleFront would go down the same road as some of these other developers and release games without protection and not need a disk in to play. I think they may make more sales that way.

If they ever release this campain game I would really like them to say release a compilation of all the old CMX1 games with the copy protection removed. This would make a real incentive for people to buy the compilation including the campaign for CMBB. If they changed the code a little bit so people playing PBEM games with the no CD required versions could only play against the same release it may spur a lot of sales.

Anyway just an idea that will never see the light of day.

Cheers MarkL