I still have hope in Battlefront (about CMC)...

Hello everyone!

I don´t use to write in this Battlefront´s forum. I use to read, and try to learn from experts who know a lot about great Combat Mission series (tactics, movements, advices, etc.).

I start studying (because you can say it in that way) to play CMBB and CMAK a short time ago. I´ve no idea if I´ll become a good player at all. It doesn´t matter too much. The important thing is that I enjoy a lot with this software. It´s a very good invested money! CMBB and CMAK are the best games I´ve ever played in this genre, because they´re very special.

BUT (sadly, there is always a “but”) I feel the lack of campaigns in both games, even if it were only for single player. Campaign (or serie of campaigns) would give them an overall of “Master Piece”, instead of “Outstanding”. I´d give a new value. A new dimension! (can you see it?). smile.gif

I looked for information in these forum´s threads. I checked that the project “Combat Mission Campaigns” exists. So, there´s hope at last! I reached my wallet just to find money to buy it inmediately. It was what I was looking for. And like me, lots and lots of wargamers.

But I realize what is happening: the project CMC is stopped for a long time. So, desolation came. And it´s difficult to understand why... :(

From my point of view, I don´t care if the campaign would be only for single plager. Or if the scale of operational maps would be very small. Or if it´d be historically based or not. I supposed to find something like an add-on for CMBB or CMAK, or a plug-in, or something like that... But there was nothing at all... :confused:

I expected to find something like the case of “Rome: Total War” (obviously, something more serious...), with an interface militar looking as the “Silent Hunter 3”...

The operational part.

And the tactical part would be resolved with CMBB or CMAK battles... But it was just a dream... :(

I can imagine that work for doing CMC would be huge. Must be very difficult to design and program. And more if we talk about multiplayer campaigns. And more over if we talk about to fix everything based on historical facts!

But like me, I´m sure that there are a lot of people waiting for this PRESENT. Everybody knows that it would be a “super-bomb”, and it would be sold product.

I still have hope in Battlefront guys! ;)

Best regards,

Rubeus

They are blind... quality war-games aren't interesting for them anymore.

Home of superior war and strategic games... is now a bad sentence in his main web page, until they return to the path of true "superior war-games". CM:SF drawn too much of Battlefront, to the path of almost arcadish realtime click festivals.

Originally posted by Cid250:

Home of superior war and strategic games... is now a bad sentence in his main web page, until they return to the path of true "superior war-games". CM:SF drawn too much of Battlefront, to the path of almost arcadish realtime click festivals.

Luddite.

People are getting too carried away with this anyway.

No system that automatically determines win / loss is ever going to make for a realistic feeling campaign. Most battles are not overwhelmingly won or lost but somehwere in between. If not there would be little point in playing them out in CM.

Yet at the end of the battle the computer needs a binary decision about who won and who lost.

So one side is almost always going to get more than it deserved (full control of the hex / square / whatever when actually the other side still had capable forces left) while the other gets screwed.

Anyone who's played or GMed in metacampaigns will know about the endless bitching that goes on about the outcome of battles, when human GMs take infinitely more into account when they resolve the outcome than an automated system ever could.

The same problems that bedevil the CM operations concept will crop up in any other game that uses discrete tiles that you do or do not control.

Example : you can push across a river and establish a sizeable bridgehead, but if it isn't big enough it will be taken away from you.

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

People are getting too carried away with this anyway.

No system that automatically determines win / loss is ever going to make for a realistic feeling campaign. Most battles are not overwhelmingly won or lost but somehwere in between. If not there would be little point in playing them out in CM.

Yet at the end of the battle the computer needs a binary decision about who won and who lost.

So one side is almost always going to get more than it deserved (full control of the hex / square / whatever when actually the other side still had capable forces left) while the other gets screwed.

Anyone who's played or GMed in metacampaigns will know about the endless bitching that goes on about the outcome of battles, when human GMs take infinitely more into account when they resolve the outcome than an automated system ever could.

The same problems that bedevil the CM operations concept will crop up in any other game that uses discrete tiles that you do or do not control.

Example : you can push across a river and establish a sizeable bridgehead, but if it isn't big enough it will be taken away from you.

I´m agree with you, "Sgt_Kelly". That´s why I talked about the difficult to program CMC, and this is one aspect (of many) of the problem. And it´s when talent and creativeness have to work (in world of videogames, Battlefront´s team have proved it more then expected!). I mean: you can find another way to solve the problem, or design something different from hex tiles, square, or whatever... Some creative solution not seen yet (like CM did in its moment...). Mean idea is to give CM battles a reason to be fought for. That´s all.

But really, I wouldn´t understand Battlefront´s decision to put aside this difficult, challenging, profitable (I´m sure), and interesting project. And if it´s a dead project, why is still alive in forums (not only in Battlefront´s? Why Battlefront do not shutdown CMC´s thread in their forums, or inform to everyone what´s happening with this matter?

That´s why I still have hope, and they´ll be working on it very soon...

Kind regards,

JC

Originally posted by Jose Carlos:

Hello everyone!

I can imagine that work for doing CMC would be huge. Must be very difficult to design and program. And more if we talk about multiplayer campaigns. And more over if we talk about to fix everything based on historical facts!

But like me, I´m sure that there are a lot of people waiting for this PRESENT. Everybody knows that it would be a “super-bomb”, and it would be sold product.

I still have hope in Battlefront guys! ;)

Best regards,

Rubeus

I think maybe they've bitten off more than they can chew (so to speak) and underestimated the amount of work involved and required.

Saying that, I'll probably be proved wrong and this game will be released when the WW2 module is released for CMX2 to cash in and maximise profits - nothing wrong with that of course, except the extra time required to wait. ;)

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cid250:

Luddite. </font>