Auto-resolving battles

Jaska.

How does this work ? Can I rely on AI to auto-resolve the battles for me with some success if I had substantially more and better troops than the other guy ?

I'm just thinking auto-resolve in the Total War -series, which didn't quite work favourably...

Any word on this ?

I don't think they could ever develop a system that will be perfect, especially for something like Combat Mission where there are many more variables than something like Total War series.

That being said, I hope it at least lets us crush much lesser forces. In TW you would occasionally get a fluke battle where it was very obvious you'd win, but you ended up losing your best general to a pack of peasants...

The "TacAI" of TW series is worse than CM - just think of all those phalanx units leaving the line when engaging a maneuvering enemy. CM has no cohesion between units, but TW is absolute crap when it comes to that.

I regularly lose less than 5% of my force when autoresolve would get it wiped out.

Autoresolve will hopefully depend on players skill.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by securityguard:

In TW you would occasionally get a fluke battle where it was very obvious you'd win, but you ended up losing your best general to a pack of peasants...

Which is what makes it worth playing. ;) </font>

Originally posted by Kommissar:

I find that in Rome TW, using auto-resolve can actually help you take fewer casualties in siege maps. I think the auto-resolve overlooks the advantage the defender has with walls. Otherwise I agree, the AI in TW is crap.

Depends if you have the time limit on or off. Without a limit, sieges are pretty easy. Even with a time limit, it is usually better to be patient to force your way in. And never fight on walls. Head towards the city square, cut off the defenders on the walls and have some archers ready to rush in on the walls once the defenders leave the walls to aid the city center.

Back on topic:

A skilled human would take some long range shots at the Shermans, likely kill 2 or 3 and then retreat off battle. Auto resolve should resemble this.

Gruß

Joachim

I was under the impression that they fixed the auto resolve in RTW with patch 1.5? I remember reading on the official forum some people commenting about how it was better much better than the vanilla version out of the box. It also adjusts to the difficulty level you are playing so on hard and very hard you can expect higher casualties than on normal or easy using auto calc.

I do agree though the actual hands on battle AI is pathetic, even after patch 1.5 I can take 2000 men and beat 4000 and lose less than 100 men lol.

They changed the auto-resolve? I thought the most important change was that sieges are not lifted when loading a game.

Guess in CMC vs the AI we will see likely lopsided sideshows getting auto-resolved while the stack of death will be human-controlled.

Which reminds me of sumthing.... can the Operational AI handle human stacks. It will be tough to stop a stack of death in H2H, but I fear the AI will fail miserably.

Gruß

Joachim