isn't there anything new?

sonar

Originally posted by Jurgen12/26HJ:

That is pretty jacked up... :( I have been waiting for 12 plus years for a campaign system where you could play from start to finnish, and possibly change the outcome of the War. Battlefront is great, and is extremely popular and has a huge fan base. It strikes me odd.... does anyone listen to the people actually purchasing these games in what we want.. they know that if the Masses want something they will pay for it.. so it strikes me odd why they wont fullfill our gaming desires.

ahh heck... I will still play CMBB and CMAK but without anything changing it will get old eventually. 2 cents.

You keep talking about changing the outcome of the war. Interesting.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question... will you be able to change the outcome of the Campaigns you enter?

Can you command different types of Divisions, Motorized, Panzer, Waffen SS? Can your Spearhead destroy Soviet, Axis Resistance, thus allowing you easy manouverability to a designated target, such as Stalingrad, Smolensk, a possible bridgehead or are the Campaigns pre-generated with the same units? Does what you do effect the Overall campaign?

Yes you can have different types of divisions. You can have motorcycle and bicycle troops, armoured cars, trucks, etc. There will definitely be a scenario with 1SS in it.

There is no 'overall campaign' as such. What will be included is a series of unconnected operations, each of which will take some time and effort to play out. The idea of taking a small force througout the whole war is a different idea (not necessarily a bad one, but not CMC). There will also be an editor, so you can make your own operations.

Hunter

I guess I have another question... possibly somewhat related to CMC, and CMO. Is Battlefront going to come out with a new version for the Western Theatre, I would love to play the Poles, or even the French, Belgiun forces. It would be nice to take a division from start to finish, like you can in Talonsoft's West Front or East FrontII.

A new version of CMC for the west front? maybe. A new version of CMBO / AK / BB using their new engine? Dunno, probably in the future some time (I don't know, i'm guessing).

Hunter

While waiting for CMC I picked up the new PzCmd Opn Winter Storm. Comparing it to CMBB is natural and in a nutshell, one could call it "CMBB Lite". It's a fun enough game but just does not measure up to CMBB. You have a one week campaign as a battlegroup of the German 6th Pz Div or a one week Soviet Campaign, both in Dec '42. There is also a meeting engagement in Jan 43 for players to try against the AI or a human where you buy up to 430 points worth of stuff. I did that with a platoon of Tiger's, and some other stuff. The game has a fun factor with the ability of units to get medals, skill and experience increases in between battles. But since the campaign is only one week, these increases seem unrealistic but fun. Also replacements from losses will decrease experience.

No flak/AA available, and air as far as I can tell is a one strike deal. So far arty has not left shell holes or other building damage. move units by platoon with limited individual unit controls. Can't tell how much ammo a unit has and if you don't watch it'll use up the best APCR ammo first and then not have it when you need it against T34's. In Between battles damaged/destroyed units may or maynot be recovered/repaired.

Like I said, a fun game, but really not worth the money when compaired to CMBB. I only got it out of frustration waiting for CMC to arrive.

Nice to see Hunter post here once in a while. I'm sure they're working hard and probably running into some programming frustrations. A salute to their efforts and we'll be happy with whatever date you guys feel comfortable releasing it done right/finished product. BvB/Scott

Originally posted by Baron von Beergut:

Like I said, a fun game, but really not worth the money when compaired to CMBB.

Thanks for posting this review. I haven't bought it because I thought it was over priced. I could see paying like $20 or so for it but $40 seemed a little to much for what the game has to offer.

I think I'll just wait for CMC and CMSF.

I will still play CMBB and CMAK but without anything changing it will get old eventually. 2 cents.
Giving the length of time most people have played CM it probably lasted far longer then any of the most optimistic predictions from BFC when they were making it.

Im not thrilled with Shock Force either, I mean, bleh, we played CM #1 for a great wargame and #2 (big number two) that I love WW2!
I wonder what this forum would be like if the original CM series had been modeled off a modern game or a future Space Lobsters one and then they came out with the CMx2 engine and announced the first game would be in the WW2 genre?

Then again I am one of the few people looking much more forward to Shock Force than Campaigns so I am somewhat of an anomaly. Though I would be fairly shocked if SF doesn't set a new sale record for BFC.

Here is a question for the many of the people who posted about not getting the Shock Force concept? If the first game could not possibly be set in WW2 would a different historical setting have been okay? What about far future setting? Or is it WW2 or bust? Really just curious to hear because always been surprised by the reaction SF has gotten.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything pre Korea would be fine. Anything after that and it's WWII or bust for me. ;)

I mean think about it how can you play hypothetical warfare? The cold war war never happened, so, there's no history to go buy only speculation. Vietnam was nothing more than a stalemate, the US troups hands were tied and clearly anyone could see had they been untied it would have been over in a few weeks instead of the grueling wasted life years that it lasted. And playing something like Desert Storm would be just another overkill type of game. There's just no power that can compare to the American forces and equipment now to make for a challenging game. Strictly just overkill games where only making some stifling rules up to give the weak side half a chance. Syria would be over-run within a week in a real situation so I see no reason to make a $40 game about it.

I think you don't understand the vietnamense very well thinking is they invaded the North it was over, if anything it may have created another Korea situation with the chinese getting involved, also the people of vietnam would of just been doing what is happening in iraq now.

You cannot supress a country, you can destroy it military or install a government.

But unless you prepared to kill ever man, woman and child in that country you or any foriegn power will lose.

So any modern warfare now is about trying to supress small units that always have the suprise advantage.

Unless you want to do China v America, now that would be an interesting scenario.

Ardem - what utter rot. The NVA lost, got stomped, like the VC before them. They won in 1975 by using ten fully mechanized divisions of Soviet supplied armor, against a south deprived of promised US air support by perfidious act of congress. Guerillas didn't do diddly. It is all a complete crock.

WOW JasonC!!!! I'm impressed. Someone who learned about the Viet-Nam war by looking at the historical facts, rather than, getting their "facts" from a Jane Fonda workout video.

You know, In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

The Viet-Nam myth should have ran its course long ago, but everybody hangs on to it like its actual fact.

Face it, Elvis IS DEAD, Castro wasn't able to shoot Kennedy from Havana, it was just too far away..................

I have to go, a BLACK, unmarked helicopter just landed in my yard.