CMMC.. While you wait for CMC..

PSK

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must have been Leland, the chap who gave us Mapping Mission.

It was a re-run of the Ardennes. Corps was fed high-level faulty intel, and when my lot told them that this was plain wrong, we were labelled defeatist. Lesson is - never have an ex-intel officer as your head GM. ;)

Mind you, I am not complaining, 43rd got a riot of a fight out of CMMC1, and in my view (despite being pretty much annihilated) was the division that ensured that we did not lose the campaign very badly with all of the credit going to my CRA and my Brigadiers by the way, my contribution was to select them and let them get on with the job.

I did a bicycle ride along some of the main battlefields of 43rd around Louviers a while back. If anyone is interested I can post the pictures here. In particular - I crossed the field of the very controversial battle where the Panthers were ambushed by one of my battalions. I am sure some people do NOT want to see those pictures. ;)

All the best

Andreas

Yeah, Leland!

My major gripe with CMMC1 was not the faulty intel - because that didn't affect me too much at my level - but how the powers that be gutted the Brits. Having read the histories of the 50th Division and the 151, they had been involved in many years of fighting from France to North Africa, Sicily, and the several weeks of fighting in France before the CMMC, yet my troops were mixed Green/Regular fighting Crack/Elite Germans.

As I was also a battalion commander (6th Durham Light Infantry), this affected me more than anything else.

Yeah, I wasn''t happy about that either. It seemed to help though that some of those Elite German commanders had never heard of the 17pdr, such as the chap who IIRC motored his Tiggers into the ambush by a battery of my divisional AT Rgt. :D

Of course, later we were at least given the right amount of artillery, and a 25-pdr shell does not distinguish between a green and a crack target.

My favourite battle for amusement value was 5th Glosters in their ACs shooting up that hapless German column of MG armoured halftracks, and the reaction of some Germans players when they were told about the mass surrender that had taken place. Snicker...

Ahh, happy memories...

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Andreas:

Yeah, I wasn''t happy about that either. It seemed to help though that some of those Elite German commanders had never heard of the 17pdr, such as the chap who IIRC motored his Tiggers into the ambush by a battery of my divisional AT Rgt. :D

Of course, later we were at least given the right amount of artillery, and a 25-pdr shell does not distinguish between a green and a crack target.

My favourite battle for amusement value was 5th Glosters in their ACs shooting up that hapless German column of MG armoured halftracks, and the reaction of some Germans players when they were told about the mass surrender that had taken place. Snicker...

Ahh, happy memories...

All the best

Andreas

I never heard anything about that, or your ambush! My knowledge of what happened out of my AO is limited to the Flash movie somebody made of the campaign's first day. Hell, I barely even remember what happened after we were pushed out of Cailly. I remember I had a few engagements later, but no serious pitched battles.

Well, probably against my better judgement I signed up for CMMC2. I was reading all the AARs of CMMC1 and I remembered why I liked it so much, despite how ponderous it could be. With what info I can glean from their forums it looks like this iteration is a little more fast paced.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Well, probably against my better judgement I signed up for CMMC2. I was reading all the AARs of CMMC1 and I remembered why I liked it so much, despite how ponderous it could be.

Me too.

With what info I can glean from their forums it looks like this iteration is a little more fast paced.

I hope you have fun. For some reason I just could not get into it this time. Probably going to drop out as soon as the division I'm in picks up some new recruits.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Well, probably against my better judgement I signed up for CMMC2. I was reading all the AARs of CMMC1 and I remembered why I liked it so much, despite how ponderous it could be.

Me too.

With what info I can glean from their forums it looks like this iteration is a little more fast paced.

I hope you have fun. For some reason I just could not get into it this time. Probably going to drop out as soon as the division I'm in picks up some new recruits. </font>

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Thanks. A very nice area. I really have to get over there one of these years.

It's great - much prettier than I expected, and than the pictures show.

If you ever go there, make sure to go through Paris, so that I can buy you a drink.

All the best

Andreas

Andreas,

Nice pix! That's a great thing about this hobby, you fight a battle over virtual terrain, and then when a subsequent visit to the real thing is just fascinating. It's like you're a war veteran - I had a similar experience in June when I "returned" to Berlin, where I had "fought" in 1945. One guess as to which side I played.

And a general advertisement for CMMC:

CMMC2 is going great guns and it's a ton of fun these days. Well, at least I think so. There are something like a dozen battles in progress right this second. Death and destruction and mayem and and not a peripheral action among them. Real nail-biter stuff, and all sorts of war stories. The operational discussions up and down chain of command arguements are at least as entertaining as the actual battles.

One of the sides has published a newspaper, even.

That doesn't bode well... :(

Nah, not really. It's more about me and what time I have free than the scenario, the GMs or the players. One example is the corp IT weanies blocked access to the site so I cannot get into the forum unless I happen to be working from home that day.

Originally posted by Andreas:

If you ever go there, make sure to go through Paris, so that I can buy you a drink.

All the best

Andreas

Thanks, I think if I ever do get over the plan would have to be France and Germany.

I'm two years, (or is it three now?), overdue on collecting many many rounds from Jochen. One day I'll show up and ruin his finances for years.