CMMC.. While you wait for CMC..

PSK

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by PSK:

Most battles are played PBEM.. But if both players agree to TCP/IP that can be done too.

The Game clock moves 15 minutes every two weeks (will probably move faster in the future but since we have alot of battles now and lacking players the clock has been slowed down)

Every turn in CMBB represents 2 game minutes. So If you are in a battle that means you have to do 7 turns in two weeks.

I am interested, but one thing that made me hesitant before was believing I would not be able to complete my battle in time... can you clarify the 7 turns in two weeks comment?

That is correct herr Kruger.

But the best is if you could be able to play 7 turns per week. Sometimes the pace quickens up.

Also you need to able to check the forums almost every day to be able to answer requests from other commanders in the chain-of-command.

I played CMMC 1 from start to finish as a brigade and battalion commander for the British. I will never do it again.

I appreciate the vast amount of time and effort the players (especially GMs, COs and map makers) put into it, but - for me - it wasn't worth the time I put into it. IIRC the campaign lasted 18 months in real time. I fought 2-3 engagements, which were NOT fun because they were reinforced battalions for each side. Far too many units to maneuver on maps that are likewise far too large. Maybe some people dig that, but I prefer company sized engagements, not 2+ battalions per side. Far too often I'd wait over a month or three for a turn to be processed only to forget what my tactical situation was by the time the next set of orders were due.

I joined CMMC2 at the outset, but 9 months after I joined there was still absolutely no progress toward even beginning.

If you've got the time and patience for CMMC, go for it. If you prefer maneuvering and (rarely) fighting with units that are far larger than what CMBB was designed for, go for it.

I'd much prefer a divisional CMMC, where players command companies and fight on maps no bigger than 1x1km. Something with a faster pace and wasn't so ploddingly slow to do anything with.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I'd much prefer a divisional CMMC, where players command companies and fight on maps no bigger than 1x1km. Something with a faster pace and wasn't so ploddingly slow to do anything with.

Want to help develop one? I put together some notes on using CMAK to simulate the battles for South Beveland in Oct 1944 but really had no time or inclination to do anything with them other than break forces on both sides into company sized bits. Basically there are two Allied divisions plus British commandos against two German divisions in a rather large setting (Walcheren Island and the South Beveland peninsula).

If you wanted to help put something together and GM it maybe we could whip something up that would be

a) easy

and

B) fun.

Just an idea. I've not had a lot of spare time in the last little while but if someone was enthusiastic enough I might consider it. The subject matter probably wouldn't appeal to anyone as much as Market Garden, Bulge, etc., but for a campaign on the scale you are talking about I think it would be good.

As for the strategic layer, I was thinking of using VASSAL and even created a mapboard and counters to represent the forces. No spreadsheets, no COCAT, nothing complicated. Just an old fashioned map board and some counters representing CM units. Each unit would have steps representing 10% casulties, 20 percent, etc. or in other words, no save game files, just fire up the right map in the editor and pick the forces corresponding to the pieces on the mapboard.

Sure, patience is needed. We do go forward with a reasonable pace now though. Since late summer/early fall last year we have moved from 0600 in the morning to 1000. That may not sound like much but it's ~3 battles starting on 4 for the frontline units.

Regarding huge battle, yes, reinforced battalion size is common. Above two battalions is being actively avoided from previous CMMC experience. We also have use for pure staff players who don't (or only rarely) play CMBB battles. The intel and planning work is really interesting. You get to know division and corps level thinking first hand.

I loved being the brigade CO and watching the Bn COs executing my plans. And I'll happily admit that I loved the depth and sense of purpose that CMMC gave to my CM games (my first battle was a forced river crossing where I overran a German infantry company and captured their CO - I loved being able to develop plans based on his interrogation, seeing captured maps, etc.). Its just that the pace was far too slow for me and seemingly clunky. If CMC does what it's advertised to do, it ought to make CMMC a lot more interesting and fast paced. I'd consider joining if CMC was used.

And Dorosh, I'm far too lazy and ill motivated to undertake anything like that. Sorry. :(

... And I'll happily admit that I loved the depth and sense of purpose that CMMC gave to my CM games (my first battle was a forced river crossing where I overran a German infantry company and captured their CO - I loved being able to develop plans based on his interrogation, seeing captured maps, etc.).

I believe your force was then cut off shortly thereafter and IIRC nearly wiped out by some Pioneers reinfoced with StuGs. ...or somefink.

Um... I dunno. IIRC another brigade took over for me and expanded the bridgehead, got spanked, and then I pulled out. I honestly can't remember if I pulled out under pressure or not, though I do remember fighting StuGs at one point (with my Churchills on the wrong side of the bloody river!)

I also think, the real strength of this game is the way it makes you think as a real commander. Operational and Tactics decisions , supply, communications, training you and others, It all tries to simulated WWII matters, It takes time but that is part of its nature. It is not for anyone looking for a quick fix

They are doing a good job at moving things as fast as possible.

For something that is totally voluntary there is no equal.

Great game

Um... I dunno. IIRC another brigade took over for me and expanded the bridgehead, got spanked, and then I pulled out. I honestly can't remember if I pulled out under pressure or not, though I do remember fighting StuGs at one point (with my Churchills on the wrong side of the bloody river!)

Oh yea that sounds about right.

Cailly (sp?) was the ville IIRC.

Your mob came across and knocked us back. In fact my character was wounded and KO'd for a brief time.

Stugs with Fusileers arived pretty quickly and contained the north shoulder. Our Arty hammered the bridge and supressed your engineers attempting to repair it.

Your follow on commander attacked south down the river, bumped into another regiment, and was taken in the flank by Pioneers ny Pioneers, and so forth. He then attmpted a withdrawl and was roughed up pretty good.

We were very thin other than the shoulders of the bridgehead though. If you pushed over toward that hill line to the East youd have been in the Korps rear area and been a real headache for us.

Regards,

So you're my arch nemesis. Good to know. My ninjas are on their way.

Yeah, it was Cailly. I think we were trying to expand the bridgehead in order to clear out your FOs so we could fix the bridge to send the tanks over. Alternately I think the plan may have been to roll up on your defense's flanks and enable the rest of the division to cross.

In the end it didn't matter - your legions of Panthers and Tigers annihilated the Brits in the north. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

And Dorosh, I'm far too lazy and ill motivated to undertake anything like that. Sorry. :(

Don't be sorry. Being overtasked and unmotivated myself, I was looking for someone to pawn all the work off to... ;) </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Want to help develop one? I put together some notes on using CMAK to simulate the battles for South Beveland in Oct 1944 but really had no time or inclination to do anything with them other than break forces on both sides into company sized bits. Basically there are two Allied divisions plus British commandos against two German divisions in a rather large setting (Walcheren Island and the South Beveland peninsula).

If you wanted to help put something together and GM it maybe we could whip something up that would be

a) easy

and

B) fun.

Just an idea. I've not had a lot of spare time in the last little while but if someone was enthusiastic enough I might consider it. The subject matter probably wouldn't appeal to anyone as much as Market Garden, Bulge, etc., but for a campaign on the scale you are talking about I think it would be good.

As for the strategic layer, I was thinking of using VASSAL and even created a mapboard and counters to represent the forces. No spreadsheets, no COCAT, nothing complicated. Just an old fashioned map board and some counters representing CM units. Each unit would have steps representing 10% casulties, 20 percent, etc. or in other words, no save game files, just fire up the right map in the editor and pick the forces corresponding to the pieces on the mapboard. </font>

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by PSK:

Onodoken>> I'm sorry if I offended you. The post was not directly to you as a person. Just an answer to your post saying that CMMC is crap.

I can only speak of my own experience. I joined in october. Have only played one small infantry engagement since that. CMMC is so more than just playing battles. It's a whole army, with a CoC, supply, artillery orders etc. It's not just take command over a company of whatever and storm the enemy in a typical CMBB rush. This is far more realistic!

The player I'm training now, a young recruit named Ob.Lt Hoffman shows respect, loyalty and trying to act as a ww2 german officer. That is rewarded! And regarding him commanding a battalion of panzers, it's true. I'm not saying that everyone WILL. But if you show the right spirit you CAN. And yes.. it is a new campaign.. with a few panzerdivisions.. with actual panzers.

I know it might be alot CoCat movement, giving (in your case boring) orders to units. But that's the whole prelude to battle. War is not just about killing enemies on the battlefield. And CMMC tries to be as realistic as possible in that sense.

CMMC is also about making friends with similar interests. Get to know your fellow players and become friends with them. And friends lever let eachother down. That is the meaning of the word "loyalty".

So.. welcome to the game.. see if you like it. If you don't, tell us and not just "leave".

Banana> I believe the site is undergoing some maintenance right now.

This sounds very interesting. Question is though, how much role-playing is involved? Specifically, are there any Knights Crosses to be won? Is there a 'career persona' as such?

smile.gif

Which Brigade did you command? I thought Elvis commanded the 214th which got its butt kicked at Cailly? It was definitely one of my brigades that suffered very badly there - I commanded 43rd Wessex.

All the best

Andreas