News (sort of)

Hunter

Guys,

Sorry there has been a lack of updates lately. The team is working hard to get the latest beta out to our team of dedicated beta testers. These people are also creating a great range of campaigns for the game. Creating campaigns is a lot of work, and so it will definitely be useful for you all to have a range to choose from when the game ships.

We haven't added in a lot of exciting new features or anything lately, which makes it hard to make this interesting! Basically we have been fixing bugs and making the features that we have already announced more stable.

One of the features that we have been trying to fix is the fog of war rules were being broken by our 'unit details' screen. As you recall, there is full relative spotting implemented in the campaign. So a commander will only see what he has had reported to him, or can see himself. Unit details, particularly of enemy maneuver elements, should always be 'filtered' by the fog of war mechanisms. That is, when you look at a bunch of units, you should see more detail of their composition at close range than you do at far ranges, etc. This is true of friendly troops as well. If you haven't got a report, but are relying on seeing something, you won't know details of casualties, current readiness levels, etc. (Sometimes I wish I had designed a simpler game!). Anyway, we are fixing it up to work properly.

We have recently added two new buttons to the dash / controls. One is the same as backspace in CMBB, that is, cancel the previous order for a unit. Except in CMC, this is complex! If an order is already assigned to a unit, then they will be carrying it out at some remote location. 'Hitting backspace' actually results in a 'cancel that order' order being sent to the unit via the current best communication channel. WHEN they get that order, they will stop doing what they were previously ordered to do, but not before.

Now imagine that there is a unit remote from you with 3 move orders in a row. You hit Backspace 3 times, thus creating an order to cancel all their orders. Then you change your mind, before you have sent that order! That's what the other button does...cancels the issue of any orders at all this turn (and you can start constructing them again).

I don't know whether that is illuminating or confusing tongue.gif

Anyway, hang in there, CMC is very much alive and kicking. I recently had the chance to demonstrate it to a lively bunch of CMBB fanatics, and the feedback was pretty good. They are looking forward to it even more than before.

Cheers,

Hunter

Originally posted by c3k:

Hunter,

What are you doing?!?!? You're wasting valuable coding, debugging and playtesting time!!! Stop browsing the forums, and get back to work! Now.

smile.gif

Thanks,

Ken

LOL. *Mutters under breath* You just can't win, you just can't win. *Wanders off shaking head*

Originally posted by Hunter:

Guys,

Sorry there has been a lack of updates lately. The team is working hard to get the latest beta out to our team of dedicated beta testers. These people are also creating a great range of campaigns for the game. Creating campaigns is a lot of work, and so it will definitely be useful for you all to have a range to choose from when the game ships.

[snip]

Anyway, hang in there, CMC is very much alive and kicking. I recently had the chance to demonstrate it to a lively bunch of CMBB fanatics, and the feedback was pretty good. They are looking forward to it even more than before.

Cheers,

Hunter

Thank you for that informative update. I am sure that virtually all of us are appreciative of the effort you are putting in to the development of this new game with its connection to CMBB, which is a well-loved game.

Bob R.

• 3 weeks later...