Hell's Gate: The Battle of the Cherkassy Pocket January - February 1944

Shmavis

Well, after months of waiting, my copy has finally arrived! Along with this great book, I was surprised to find a neat copy in the package of a map used by troops of Korpsabteilung B as they made their way out of the pocket. I don't think it came with the original edition. Unless I would be committing a breach of copyright or some other legal offense(and if no one has seen it), I would like to post a scan of the map, as I think it could be a great resource for future scenarios. Again, I'm not trying to steal anyone else's property or whatever. So, can anyone tell me "yea" or "nay"?

Ha! I seem to recall an ex-forum member(Efraim?) posting PDF files of scanned T-34 books. I think they were published by Squadron. I just have a map that wasn't part of the book's contents, with a note from the author explaining it. There are no copyright stamps on either. I guess it was just a treat from him. No one's discouraged me from posting the scan...be right back! Keep the funny signatures coming, Sergei!

Runyan99,

As of January 2006, it's back in print! I was lucky to get an e-mail from the author himself, and he mentioned that I would be able to order a copy early this year.

Alright. I have managed to shrink the file down, which was a challenge for me. It's a topographic map. I don't see a legend or scale. If anyone wants the full size map because the smaller version is difficult to read or just general interest, let me know. Incidentally, The town/village name at the middle left portion of the map got blurred in the scanner because of a fold in the map. It's Ssergijenko. Any other blemishes can be blamed on the war. Heh.

sgatemap62xw.th.jpg

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry, Runyan. I got my copy from RZM.

linkie winkie

[ February 28, 2006, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Shmavis ]

None of my local Borders or B&N seem to have it in stock...although its listed on their websites.

I just ordered it from RZM...its in stock and will ship tomorrow according to the confirmation email. RZM gives you a 10% discount for ordering on line BTW.

From RZM.com: "The culmination of years of research and survivor interviews, Hell's Gate is a riveting hour by hour and day by day account of this desperate struggle analyzed on a tactical level through maps and military transcripts, as well as on a personal level, through the words of the enlisted men and officers who risked the roaring waters of the Gniloy Tickich to avoid certain death at the hands of their Soviet foe."

I would say it's a great work on a particular battle fought on the Eastern Front. I highly recommend it. Others here would probably do the same. You get more than your money's worth.