What campaign is everyone looking forward to the most?

Peterk

Just trying to turn some of this lurking into constructive conversation. What specific actual campaign or what type of situation are people looking forward to the most?

Are people planning to play mostly against the AI, against a single human player, or multiple human opponents?

Just curious.

I would love to play against other people, but I can never tell when I am going to have time to sit down and so I end up playing against the AI, which is fine, so I hope that CMC has at least the same level of intelligence that CM has.

So far as campaigns, I'm a tourist. I would be happy with the plehtora of campaigns that will explode into being once CMC is released. Just like I am now, with all the really great scenarios and operations that I play currently.

..and I'm NOT looking forward to doing the maps for that one!

I thought Stalingrad would be IT for me too, but I changed my mind recently. I can't help feeling that a huge map of only rubble/buildings will get kind of boring/gloomy/depressing for days and days on end. Exactly the same sort of thing the real soldiers forced to fight there complained about. A small/short one however maybe at the entrance to the city or the suburbs might be kind of fun.

I think we're all going to get overwhelmed just at the sense of space there will be on those maps and being able to do stuff we never could before because of it. If you want to see what I'm talking about, create a random 2km x 2km map and stick two companies of infantry on it. They're almost swallowed up by the terrain.

Originally posted by Ike:

Seige of Leningrad. Perfect for small-unit operations as Soviet and German commanders patrolled and probed for a way to strangle the city or a way to break the seige.

I don't see what this has to do with a campaign. Given a map showing roughly the front of a regiment or corps, what exactly would your victory conditions be if all you are simulating is company sized raids on the other side's lines?

Originally posted by Sergei:

I'm looking forward to seeing the Ostfront: Barbarossa to Berlin 1941-45 campaign.

Are you arguing semantics or something? Are we not allowed to use the term "campaign" when referring to fighting at Stalingrad and other pivotal battles?

I would like to see a scenario based on Operation: Rumyantsev, or the Soviet Belgorod-Kharkov operation.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ike:

Seige of Leningrad. Perfect for small-unit operations as Soviet and German commanders patrolled and probed for a way to strangle the city or a way to break the seige.

I don't see what this has to do with a campaign. Given a map showing roughly the front of a regiment or corps, what exactly would your victory conditions be if all you are simulating is company sized raids on the other side's lines? </font>

I just like to see how a typical game plays out.

Will it be bunch of MEs dancing around jabbing at each other?

Or will it be somefink like:

Two MEs meet on the battlefield and start a fight. Both sides toss in a few more MEs and the battle lines spread out to make a long front. Some more MEs join in at the edges-really long front. A few more mobile MEs line up in the back field waiting to soft spot, looking to break thru and cut off supplies or roll up the line.

Just wondering how a battle will go.

Originally posted by V:

Where would I start?

Stalingrad, battles outside Moscow, winter 41, my favorite would be the Germans defending Eastern Europe and the Reich itself. Berlin campaigns would be great.

Even I hope to play a campaign in Stalingrad. At the start of last summer (before the CMC presentation) I have beginned to draw a detailed Stalingrad map, and was planned squares of 2000mt x 2000mt.

At that time I abbandone the project due the move of my home, now may be interesting continue that work, of course a Stalingrad campaign is raccomanded for a multi player game.

I think something small would be nice to learn how the whole concept will work, played as either side against the AI or a human.

Beyond that there are two wishes - one a historical situation (Kharkov 43, or some similar fluid situation)

And the other would be hypothetical for pbem play against a human. This could be where each side starts with a certain type of OOB, decides how to set up his assets in say 3 areas and this would result in 3 battles with following battles in the 3 sectors decided by the results plus commitment of reserves and adjustment of committed forces. A neat way to get random battles with your opponent and having the losses affect future battles.

For some reason, hopeless situations have always appealed to me. Holding the line for just a little while longer, hoping that the people behind me were doing something useful with the extra day, hour, minute. So I've always wondered what it would have been like to command a Russian brigade in the first days of the war. That's the one I'd try first....