My proposal for a CMC op

Runyan99

I don't have a nice picture of a map like Sergei does, but if you have my same source, you can check it out.

This op comes from 'Panzers on the Eastern Front' a collection from General Erhard Raus, and edited by Peter Tsouras. Pages 74 to 103. Map on page 82.

Army Group Center, February 16-18 1942. The Germans are tasked with taking and holding several small towns and villages to secure a supply road. They must take the villages, and then hold them for a day or two against a Soviet counterattack.

Map size is 5x7 CMC tiles, or 10km by 14km. The center of the map is the town of Vasilovka. This area is mostly forest, and includes two smallish towns and about 6 small hamlets.

Forces are:

German -

3 weak German infantry battalions

2 independent reinforced companies.

Motorcycle ski company

engineer ski company

several assault guns

8 armored cars

several 88mm guns

1 tank platoon (maybe just 2 or 3 tanks...the remnants of the entire

Russian -

Ski Brigade (4 battalions arriving after the initial German attack)

1 Weak infantry Regiment

I think these are the conditions which will make for a good CMC game. The time frame is just a few days. Force density will be fairly low. The Germans will be forced to hold most hamlets with isolated companies. The Germans must attack, the then the Russians can counter-attack.

[ November 22, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Runyan99 ]

Originally posted by Ardem:

I remember reading this part, IIRC he was testing and training his officers in combined arms tactics.

Didn't capture my imagination as much as some of his other achievements but would be a good winter operation.

The 'Training attack' in Raus' report follows a few days after the period I describe above, and it's objective was to take a few more villages to the south. I cut it out of my proposed battle above.

You could make a long version of the operation which would include the training attack, but the map would be twice as big, and the time period would stretch to a full week or so.

Originally posted by Hunter:

Sounds like an ideal mix of troops to be interesting and the CMBB games playable. Can't wait to play it :)

Well, I'd like to design it, but I'm not looking forward to making the CMBB maps necessary. I might do it. We'll see.

In any case, I really wanted to post this to get other designers thinking about what kind of forces and situations would make suitable CMC ops.

I'd like to see some other ideas.

Personally I going to be trying my hand in the crimea, they are not very well celebrated battles. But they were some tough fights, probably the time the russian started to hit back. Rather then absorb the punishment.

I would reccommend finding a couple of people to share the load with, it can make it less daunting. But map making is not to hard, if you want an idea of terrain get google earth it gives most time a rough example, I find I am able to pump out a good and realitic 2x2 map in about 2 hours, without a detail map.

Contours:

Here is the way i approach it do the rough contours first, then I imagine water run off and great the creek beds and little gullies.

Natural Vegetations:

Then I put vegetation in more near water sources and less of the peaks of hilltops.

Town Planning:

Then i put myself in the mindset of a townplanner or farmer and do the roads and farms and chop down some of the vegetation that would of had growth.

This 9/10 gives me a really good realistic shape to the map. And if it needs spicing up I think of a certain industry that could benefit from the landscape, say put in a rock quarrey, or a Collective, possibly even a timber mill.

I hope this helps.

When I make a map, I think "What do I want to be the key part of this map?" If I'm making a fight in a village and I know that that village is going to be a key part of the battle, I'll make the village first. Then I expand outwards from the point, making the approaches to it and so forth. But then again, I make almost entirely fictional maps.

Nobody else seems to have any concrete ideas, other than 'Kursk' or 'the Crimea' or whatever. So, let me propose another one.

This is on the large end, but the battle of Krasni Bor and the defense by the Spanish Blue Division might make a nice op. Info at http://www.balagan.org.uk/war/1939/krasny_bor.htm

and there is also a boardgame that the designer could, erm, borrow from.

Originally posted by Ardem:

Personally I going to be trying my hand in the crimea

I would reccommend finding a couple of people to share the load with, it can make it less daunting.

You do know that Eichenbaum (maker of Operation Störfang) has much of Crimean peninsula heightmapped? He seems to have moved onto a different project, but might be worth asking about...

Storfang2_Buishevo.jpg

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ardem:

Personally I going to be trying my hand in the crimea

I would reccommend finding a couple of people to share the load with, it can make it less daunting.

You do know that Eichenbaum (maker of Operation Störfang) has much of Crimean peninsula heightmapped? He seems to have moved onto a different project, but might be worth asking about...

</font>