I'd like to see this turn into a CMC operation...

Sergei

Depends on the units. IMHO a 2x2 map is too small for Tigers or Panthers - these could engage on longer ranges. On 2x2 those have only little room to maneuver and fire long range shots from different positions - i. e. they can't use their strength (I use cats as if they were Marders).

2x2 km is enough for lots of PzIII/IV vs any russian tank. The size is good for lots of inf, too.

2x2 km is way way too big for realistic forces with playable command spans.

On other threads people are saying, correctly, that the whole idea of campaign CM is to see how a bunch of company scale battles - battalion at the outside and only occasionally - add up to regimental or larger engagements.

But if you make a single map 2 by 2 km, the realistic force in that area will usually be a battalion and frequently (when the battle matters) be a regiment. And that just plain will not work. Nobody is going to play a whole sequence of regiment scale monster battles linked end to end. It would be a full time job for 2-3 years.

If you want natural force sizes to be companies a lot of the time, then the map sizes need to go down to 1km by 1km and below. And they need to adjust to force sizes present.

Trying to make this "cookie cutter easy" for the campaign designer defeats the whole purpose, which is playable campaigns for the players, not making that designer's life easier during the production stage.