Rules for Motorcycle troops

JasonC

I've often wanted to simulate the motorcycle troops both sides (in Russia especially) used for recon, especially earlier in the war. I've come up with my own system for it and here I offer it to anyone interested, for campaigns with motorcycle troops present and for designed scenarios.

The basic idea is to use jeeps or kubelwagens in place of small groups of 3-4 cycles. But then there are some additional tips to get the rest right.

Scenario briefings should explain that "cars" are actually "bikes". If you want both in the same scenario, use the unit name field to specify the true "cars" as such - the default are motorcycles (which should be more numerous) in any scenario in which they appear.

A motorcyle vehicle cannot move unless it is carrying a passenger. If the tac AI gives orders, void them. (They might move a little within a minute, can't be helped). Thus, in action there will be units dropped off and fighting in some cover, and their parked bikes somewhere behind them.

Of teams, only ATRs and LMGs can ride cycles. All heavier weapons and guns cannot. They can't tow things, carry mortars or HMGs, etc. This includes radio FOs - WW II radios were quite bulky, not simple affairs.

Snipers and other one-man units are another special case. They should not use them (they couldn't move enough bikes to pick up another unit, that is the reasoning). Put those on other vehicles or tanks etc.

Cycles cannot enter wire. Realistically they should not enter trenches or craters either.

Motorcycle units typically had trucks as well to carry extra men, heavy weapons, etc. Include them, do not put everyone on bikes. The number of jeeps or kubels added should be one per infantry half squad plus one for a platoon HQ, for each MC platoon. A typical MC company has around 20 of the things.

In scenarios where point costs matter, just don't count these vehicles against point costs. You can charge an extra 5 points per squad MC equipped. Pad the points allowed to the side expected to have them with a higher point total or handicap points.

It works quite well. They are very speedy in the backfield, as long as they aren't shot at. They get off to fight like any infantry. They are much more mobile off road than trucked infantry (off road performance of actual trucks in CM is extremely poor). But not armored like SPW infantry (though you can mix them e.g. one platoon of armored Aufklarung and two of MC infantry).

I'll post this in the scenario section too, as a design tip.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Of teams, only ATRs and LMGs can ride cycles. All heavier weapons and guns cannot. They can't tow things, carry mortars or HMGs, etc. This includes radio FOs - WW II radios were quite bulky, not simple affairs.

And yet some radios were equipped with backpack straps for man portability whereas the anti-tank rifle could not be comfortably slung. Have you actually researched the equipment manifests of M/C units to see what they routinely portaged or not? This seems like a list taken off the top of your head. It's counter intuitive, to me, to permit carriage of an ATR on a motorcycle (or a 26 pound MG34 and ammunition, for that matter) and not permit a radio. I'm presuming motorcycles without sidecars.

Originally posted by Sergei:

I'm sure Jason means motorcycles WITH sidecars. That's how they usually are in photos. LMG's could be operated straight from the sidecar. I'm not so sure about ATR's. You probably could fit a radio set in it as well.

Exactly. Ditto a 50mm mortar and ammunition, so the list makes little sense either way - unless it is based on actual equipment lists.

In a pinch i bet you could get the ATR in a sidecar rig. I'm sure the 50mm mortar too, but no info on that.

The TOE for 22nd Panzer Division, 28 June 42, shows the following (paraphrased from Nafziger) for 24th Panzer Recon Battalion:

Company HQ (4 motorcycles, 2 motorcycles with side car & 1 Kfz 15 Car)

3 Reconnaissance Platoons, each with:

-HQ section (1 mc, 2 kfz 15 car & 1 AT rifle)

-3 Squads (4 mc+sidecar rigs for each squad of 8 men and 2 lmg's): 12 bikes total (or 6 kubels if you are simulating that way, each carrying a half-squad)

So the HQ section did ride in kubels. The mc was a single seat messenger. The 22nd had ditched their 50mm mortars already, but kept an AT rifle around. I imagine these made great long range harassment weapons even without a scope.

The HMG sections rode in sidecar rigs (4 per HMG team), but the 81mm mortars used trucks.